Metal Storm logo
Cirith Ungol interview (10/2023)

With: Robert Garven
Conducted by: RaduP (skype)
Published: 27.10.2023

Band profile:

Cirith Ungol

The classic story of the early metal band that went too unappreciated during its time only to be retroactively regarded as a classic and finally get some of its deserved recognition decades later, Cirith Ungol started more than five decades ago, even if it took about a decade of the band's existence to finally put out records, their 80s records have became staples of doom and heavy metal, and became huge influences on the expansion of the doom metal sound and on the emerging US power metal scene. With the newfound recognition the band would reunite, and we're now at a point where there's a second post-reunion album from the band. Drummer and founding member Robert William Garven is here to talk about some of that.

Dark Parade was released on the 20th of October through Metal Blade Records.

Posted on 27.10.2023 by Doesn't matter that much to me if you agree with me, as long as you checked the album out.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 129 users
27.10.2023 - 15:09
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Great to listen to this interview right after reviewing their latest release
27.10.2023 - 16:07
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 27.10.2023 at 15:09

Great to listen to this interview right after reviewing their latest release

Great to interview them right after reading your review
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
27.10.2023 - 23:00
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Admin
He seems like a nice fellow. Cirith Ungol is one of those bands like Scorpions, Accept, Twisted Sister, Vixen, etc., where I forget just how far back they actually go - nearly to the very beginning. You can hear that if you're listening (that big laundry list of bands he lists in the interview becomes obvious, going back to compare again), but it's easy to overlook because of how often they're associated with a later generation and how well they fit in with the Manilla Road/Angel Witch/Omen/etc. crowd.

I had the pleasure of seeing part of a Cirith Ungol set at Days of Darkness a few years ago. I was too tired to stay for the whole thing after a day-long festival, but they were really good. I'm glad I got that chance. It's been a while since I listened to one of their albums in full, so I think I'm due.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
01.11.2023 - 16:58
nikarg
Staff
Nice interview, Radu, and what a nice guy, he seems to be. Cirith Ungol rules.

Hits total: 4509 | This month: 107