Metal Storm logo
Insomnium - Part Ways With Guitarist Jani Liimatainen

Experienced melodic death metal masters Insomnium shared news that they have parted ways with guitarist Jani Liimatainen. Jani joined the Insomnium ranks in 2019. More can be read in the band's statement down under.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Insomnium
Posted: 20.02.2024 by Abattoir

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 18   Visited by: 210 users
20.02.2024 - 10:57
Liafev
That's absolutely great news! The band started to suck when he joined, I never understood why a death metal band recruited a soft power metal guitarist. (and I say that with love for early Sonata Arctica).

Hoping this change can bring some energy back in the band, curious to know if they'll eventually get a fitting replacement.
20.02.2024 - 12:30
Dark Forever
Ruído Sonoro
Hmm, not dramatic enough to be featured in Drama of the Year 2024 I guess, but nice try Insomnium. Let's see who'll join to replace him full time!
----
Taste the DARK...
... and you'll live FOREVER!
20.02.2024 - 12:58
Gladius
Ouch! Not sure if it's for the best but clearly opens a new way of possibilities
20.02.2024 - 12:58
nonZero
Surely they can cope with just 2 guitarists? I'm pretty sure they don't have Iron Maiden's income so why pay a whole extra wage for minimal difference?
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
20.02.2024 - 14:54
Reaper_Redeemer
Fantastic news! My opinion is that the band lost its way since he joined. In relevance that Ville (who was the main composer) had not enough time for the band due to his professional/private life.

I have no idea how they will move forward from now on, but it could not be much worse....
20.02.2024 - 15:39
Lvcifer
It's a shame, Jani was perfect for this band.
And I hope he's okay. The news that he simply disappeared looks strange and alarming.
----
https://www.last.fm/ru/user/LuciferBathory
20.02.2024 - 17:58
DarkWingedSoul
Strange indeed that he got lost somewhere, however the statement did not say if they found him finally looks similar to Sabaton parting ways with their guitarist....hmm, actually would be great to see Tommy and Jani together at least on a song... eagerly waiting for new albums from both of them.
21.02.2024 - 07:16
24emd
Theory Snob
Winter's Gate is their peak but Jani's era produced their next two best albums. Not a big fan, so I don't have a strong opinion on his departure. Hopefully he can make another solo album.
----
"I am too stupid to be human, and I lack common sense." - Proverbs 30:2
"Music? Well, it's just entertainment, folks!" - Devin Townsend

Best 2024 Albums
21.02.2024 - 09:45
musclassia
Staff
Definitely disagree with the comments that they went downhill after he joined; Heart As A Grave was inconsistent but had a few top songs on, and Anno 1696 was one of their best albums IMO. However, I don't know how much he contributed to that, and I'm sure they're capable of producing good stuff with just the other two again
21.02.2024 - 10:06
Liafev
Written by musclassia on 21.02.2024 at 09:45

Definitely disagree with the comments that they went downhill after he joined; Heart As A Grave was inconsistent but had a few top songs on, and Anno 1696 was one of their best albums IMO. However, I don't know how much he contributed to that, and I'm sure they're capable of producing good stuff with just the other two again

Personally I find that their last two are super far from the previous stuff in terms of energy and consistency. With Anno 1696, it was the first time with Insomnium that I found myself looking at Spotify hoping it was soon over way before the end. I was just plain bored. It starts well though, but then there are so many useless and flat moments in that album. I could never get behind “this is one of their best”, the late 2000 / early 2010 doesn’t play in the same league than Anno, it’s just so much better, more emotional, intense, consistent, better riffs.

I don’t know how much Jani was involved in songwriting in the end, but for sure the band won’t suffer from his departure imho. As to whether they can still write good stuff, it will depends on whether they want to go back to older stuff or remain soft.

Edit: Even Metalstorm which is basically an Insomnium (and similar) fan base decided Anno was their first album not worthy of a green rating in almost 20 years.
21.02.2024 - 10:31
musclassia
Staff
Written by Liafev on 21.02.2024 at 10:06

Personally I find that their last two are super far from the previous stuff in terms of energy and consistency. With Anno 1696, it was the first time that I found myself looking at Spotify hoping it was soon over before the end. I was just plain bored. It starts well though, but then there are so many useless and flat moments in that album. I could never get behind “this is one of their best”, the late 2000 / early 2010 doesn’t play in the same league than Anno, it’s just so much better, more emotional, intense, consistent, better riffs.

I don’t know how much Jani was involved in songwriting in the end, but for sure the band won’t suffer from his departure imho. As to whether they can still write good stuff, it will depends on whether they want to go back to older stuff or remain soft.

Edit: Even Metalstorm which is basically an Insomnium (and similar) fan base decided Anno was their first album not worthy of a green rating in almost 20 years.

To be fair, between our respective opinions on Anno 1696 and the Bloodred Hourglass album from last year, we might just have some fundamental differences in what we enjoy in melodeath. Still, aside from White Christ (which is a very naff song and an instant skip in album replays), I don't have much bad to say about Anno 1696, while I think very highly of Starless Paths, The Rapids and particularly Godforsaken; at the least, as a complete package I would rank it above Heart Like A Grave and One For Sorrow, possibly also Shadows Of The Dying Sun
21.02.2024 - 12:35
Liafev
Written by musclassia on 21.02.2024 at 10:31

To be fair, between our respective opinions on Anno 1696 and the Bloodred Hourglass album from last year, we might just have some fundamental differences in what we enjoy in melodeath. Still, aside from White Christ (which is a very naff song and an instant skip in album replays), I don't have much bad to say about Anno 1696, while I think very highly of Starless Paths, The Rapids and particularly Godforsaken; at the least, as a complete package I would rank it above Heart Like A Grave and One For Sorrow, possibly also Shadows Of The Dying Sun

Yeah that's fair. Although I have to admit I grew out of the last BRHG quite fast sadly, it wasn't as good as the previous one in the end :/. But I still find them better than Insomnium today yeah.

I find it funny that people disliked White Christ so much, for me it's the best track on the album by far haha. But I'm fully biased, Rotting Christ and Insomnium have been my favourite bands for over a decade now, them working together was always going to be good for me.

One For Sorrow and Shadows Of The Dying Sun are undisputable 10s for me, I don't have the tiniest complains about those albums. I get they are just doing something different now, I just find it less engaging, and very inconsistent. I might try to take the time to write a review of that album at some point..
21.02.2024 - 13:51
Kais
Aside from the decision to part with him, I find Insomnium's description of Jani's absence alarming and I just hope he's safe, whereever he is.
21.02.2024 - 19:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by musclassia on 21.02.2024 at 09:45

I agree whit you times when he was music was nice, yes not as first few but still great albums and he was not main song writer either.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.02.2024 - 16:49
gmorin
Finally! Great great news for the band; it was downward spiral since Heart Like A Grave and the horrid Argent Moon EP.
Anno 1696 was a good album, but nothing as great as some previous efforts withouth Jani.

However, I wish Jani only the best if he has personal struggles or health issues and I hope he gets the support he needs.
----
Germain Morin
22.02.2024 - 18:11
Nejde
CommunityManager
Maybe Wintersun needs another guitarist.
23.02.2024 - 06:22
EricAxel36
I much prefer the songs with writing credits from Ville and Markus. Jani was was great when I saw them live, though. Hope he's alright.
24.02.2024 - 08:07
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by nonZero on 20.02.2024 at 12:58

Surely they can cope with just 2 guitarists?

No, they actually can't. Ville has an active career outside of music these days so they will at least need a touring guitarist whenever he's not available. They may prefer a permanent solution instead of all the hassle of always finding a replacement separately.

Hits total: 2531 | This month: 85