Metal Storm logo
Sepultura - Part Ways With Drummer Eloy Casagrande

More than two months after announcing a final world tour, longtime Sepultura drummer Eloy Casagrande has confirmed that he has left the band to pursue "another project". Casagrande had been the drummer for Sepultura since 2011 and the band are replacing him with current Suicidal Tendencies drummer Greyson Nekrutman for the duration of that final tour.

A statement from Sepultura reads as follows: "The 'Celebrating Life Through Death' tour, a farewell tour over the next 18 months that will celebrate the band's 40th anniversary and also its farewell to the stage.

"Beginning of December the group clearly defined the intention at the announcement, it is a 'conscious and planned death'. As poetic as it sounds, a tour of this magnitude took nearly of year of preparing and planning which would require a lot commitment, ethics and loyalty to their fans, as well as respecting for the band's history - something that is a clear priority to Andreas Kisser, Derrick Green and Paulo Xisto. However, on February 6th a few days prior to the first rehearsal, drummer Eloy Casagrande informed the band that he was leaving Sepultura to pursue a career in another project. The band were taken by surprise, without prior warning, he immediately left the band, abandoning everything related to Sepultura. Luckily American virtuoso Greyson Nekrutman will take the position of Eloy Casagrande and is welcomed as the band's new drummer for the 'celebrating life through death' farewell tour."

Greyson Nekrutman comments: "Today I express my heartfelt gratitude for the incredible opportunity to join the legendary ranks of Sepultura for their farewell tour. To contribute to this legacy is a privilege that fills me with both honor and excitement. Sepultura's fearless approach to exploring new territories in the metal sphere is something that I have always admired and strived to emulate in my own musical endeavors. I am eagerly looking forward to adding my own spirit and passion to the mix, to connecting with the fans who have supported the band through its evolution, and to the electrifying experiences we'll create together on stage. Here's to the new chapters we'll write together, to the stages we'll conquer, and to the powerful music we'll unleash upon the world."

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Sepultura
Posted: 27.02.2024 by Metal God

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 21   Visited by: 125 users
27.02.2024 - 22:38
Ok...?
27.02.2024 - 22:59
Liafev
Sounds like drama. Also curious to hear from Slipknot now of course.
27.02.2024 - 23:05
musclassia
Staff
Maybe he saw that the final tour setlist the rest cooked up featured a full-album runthrough of Nation and decided to pack it in
28.02.2024 - 10:11
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Not hard to figure out. Sepultura is disbanding anyway, so for Eloy it was the question of taking part in the farewell tour, or quitting before it. Whatever the new band is paying him is apparently more that he'd get for the Sepultura tour. I'm pretty sure that's all there is to it.
If the rumors that he's joining Slipknot turn out to be true - Slipknot can surely pay him more than the has-beens that Sepultura are can (as much as I love their old stuff).
28.02.2024 - 11:45
MikeVonDoom
MetalInjection.net has said the following: "Slipknot has not yet commented on the situation."

I laughed so hard!
28.02.2024 - 11:48
MikeVonDoom
Written by Daniell on 28.02.2024 at 10:11

Not hard to figure out. Sepultura is disbanding anyway (...)

Situation that has been overdue since 1996.
28.02.2024 - 11:53
JoHn Doe
Written by MikeVonDoom on 28.02.2024 at 11:48

----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
28.02.2024 - 14:38
Liafev

Not hard to figure out. Sepultura is disbanding anyway, so for Eloy it was the question of taking part in the farewell tour, or quitting before it. Whatever the new band is paying him is apparently more that he'd get for the Sepultura tour. I'm pretty sure that's all there is to it.
If the rumors that he's joining Slipknot turn out to be true - Slipknot can surely pay him more than the has-beens that Sepultura are can (as much as I love their old stuff).

Well, Slipknot are just as has-beens as Sepultura if you ask me.
28.02.2024 - 14:50
Metal God
Contributor
Written by MikeVonDoom on 28.02.2024 at 11:48

Either that or a reunion with Max and Igor together.
28.02.2024 - 14:58
Metal God
Contributor
Written by MikeVonDoom on 28.02.2024 at 11:45

MetalInjection.net has said the following: "Slipknot has not yet commented on the situation."

I laughed so hard!

28.02.2024 - 16:00
A Real Mönkey
It’s truly a sad state of things when Slipknot are doing better nowadays than Sepultura are.

Better music too, insult to injury fr.
----
"Change the world. My final message. Goodbye."

~Last words of Harambe, seconds before he was shot, according to child he shielded from gunfire
28.02.2024 - 16:56
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by A Real Mönkey on 28.02.2024 at 16:00

It’s truly a sad state of things when Slipknot are doing better nowadays than Sepultura are.

Quadra was better than The End, So Far.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
28.02.2024 - 17:11
Metal God
Contributor
Written by RaduP on 28.02.2024 at 16:56

I couldn't agree more. I think that Quadra, even if it won't be Sepultura's last studio album ever, was such a perfect album that they seem to be ending their career on a high note. It felt like it was just what some fans - if not all fans - of the post-Max and Igor era needed.
28.02.2024 - 17:14
A Real Mönkey

True, but We Are Not Your Kind and The Gray Chapter were better than anything Sepultura released since Roots.
----
"Change the world. My final message. Goodbye."

~Last words of Harambe, seconds before he was shot, according to child he shielded from gunfire
28.02.2024 - 18:40
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Liafev on 28.02.2024 at 14:38

Well, Slipknot are just as has-beens as Sepultura if you ask me.

But with a much larger audience.
29.02.2024 - 09:05
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite

I'm old enough to remember the release of "Beneath The Remains". It was the first Sepultura album I heard and I loved it to death. "Arise" was almost as brilliant. Back then I'd mention Sepultura in the same breath with Slayer, Metallica and Anthrax as my favourite thrash bands. "Chaos A.D." was when I started losing interest. There was too much groove and too little thrash in Sepultura on that album. "Roots.." were an even bigger disappointment and that was where I completely lost interest in Sepultura. I've been checking them out with every new release, but nothing ever really moved me.
29.02.2024 - 17:27
Metal God
Contributor
Written by Daniell on 29.02.2024 at 09:05

I'm old enough to remember the release of "Beneath The Remains". It was the first Sepultura album I heard and I loved it to death. "Arise" was almost as brilliant. Back then I'd mention Sepultura in the same breath with Slayer, Metallica and Anthrax as my favourite thrash bands. "Chaos A.D." was when I started losing interest. There was too much groove and too little thrash in Sepultura on that album. "Roots.." were an even bigger disappointment and that was where I completely lost interest in Sepultura. I've been checking them out with every new release, but nothing ever really moved me.

My reaction to anything Sepultura has released after 1993 is almost similar to yours. Other than Quadra and possibly even Machine Messiah, I honestly can't stomach listening to more than Sepultura album or two without Max (or at least anything after Chaos A.D.).
29.02.2024 - 22:00
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
He was a great drummer, his performance in "The Age of The Atheist" is remarkable to me.
02.03.2024 - 01:56
Metal God
Contributor
Written by BloodJuNkie on 29.02.2024 at 22:00

He was a great drummer, his performance in "The Age of The Atheist" is remarkable to me.

Agreed, even though I said I honestly couldn't stomach listening to more than one or two albums without Max, The Mediator Between The Head And Hands Must Be The Heart does have at least one banger.
02.03.2024 - 15:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Greyson Nekrutman from Suicidal Tendencies are live drummer now
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.03.2024 - 03:25
Metal God
Contributor
Written by Bad English on 02.03.2024 at 15:01

Greyson Nekrutman from Suicidal Tendencies are live drummer now

And now Suicidal's new drummer is Jay Weinberg. It would have been kind of a coincidence or irony twist if Eloy is actually replacing Jay in Slipknot.

Hits total: 1908 | This month: 82