Metal Storm logo
Ministry - To Disband After Next Album

On the eve of this Friday's release of their upcoming 16th studio album Hopiumforthemasses, Ministry founder Al Jourgensen confirmed in an interview with Loudwire Nights that the pioneering industrial metal band will disband once again after a 17th album is released. He cites that the reason behind the upcoming split is due to his desire to pursue numerous activities outside of Ministry, including activism and film scoring.

Jourgensen explains: "Film scores are really where I wanna be right now. After we take care of like the last couple albums, last couple tours coming up here, then, yeah, I'm pretty much into film scoring and activism. At that point, I honestly think that - because our lyrics are pretty sarcastic and politically charged, yet I really think I'd make more of a difference in the long run by being just strictly an activist without pay, very similar to what Tom Morello is doing. So more along those lines. Between that and film scores. I'm quite happy. It's not like I'm just gonna curl up into a ball and get a grandma blanket and watch TV all day or something and play golf. The creative process doesn't stop. It's just that you refocus it as opposed to like just one band all the time and trying to top yourself and make sure that you don't suck less than the last one. That's not interesting to me at this point. Just keep moving forward."

Regarding his decision to pursue activism and film scoring as a career once the band ends, he said: "Well, unless the world suddenly changes, which I doubt. Ministry seems to get better the shittier the world gets. So, maybe there's a case to be made that if it keeps getting shittier, maybe we should do more albums. But you know what? I really think the time the time is done. I have friends like Alice [Cooper] and Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top and Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick and they love playing live, they love getting back in front of an audience and getting that rush, that adulation. But when I'm on stage, I've never in my entire career gotten that rush from playing live. I'm too busy thinking about, like, 'Is the monitor frequency correct?' and this and that, and who's doing what and all that. I don't even hear the crowd. And especially since we keep playing bigger and bigger places, it's not like you can pick out individual faces or anything. It's just literally a blur of kind of a pastel color with like some annoying noise at the end of each song while I'm already thinking about the next song. So I won't miss that at all. I won't miss touring and I won't miss recording Ministry because of the pressure of kind of being constrained, either a) to make it better, or b) to make it worse instead of just letting it flow like you do on a film score. And not only that — I love collaboration, so working with the director is perfect for me. I love collaborating. That's why I had so many bands in the '80s and '90s. I love collaboration, but only now I'll be collaborating with directors as opposed to other musicians. So, I find that an interesting twist in my road and I'm looking forward to it."

Clarifying that Hopiumforthemasses will not be Ministry's final album, but the next one will be, Al said: "We have one more. When, when I [previously said we had one more album left to do], I just finished Hopium. So we have one more new record coming out, which I'm re-recruiting an old mate from the early days. Paul Barker is gonna rejoin the band and we're gonna record that together and that will be our last one. There comes a point in time where — there's only so many notes in a musical scale, there's only so many things you can do, I think we've kind of perfected our genre, whatever genre that is. People like to call it industrial or whatever; I just call it music. But it is certainly our genre. And there comes a point in time where you don't wanna start on the decline. And we're all at the right ages. We're peaking at the right time. And the next album and the final album should be fresh because bringing Paul Barker back into the fold for the last album, I think, is… We've all grown up in the last 40 years. And I do know I work well with him in the studio. as is obvious with the '90s albums that we did. So, yeah, I'm looking forward to the next one. But after that, what am I gonna do to top that? And the world's not gonna suddenly magically change by then. But there comes a point in time musically where anything from here is gonna be downhill. I see so many bands do that. And I don't need the money, I don't need the whatever. So I think it's a good time to stop. I just turned 65, which means that I'm getting like my mailbox stuffed with AARP shit. I took my piercings out. I took my dreads out. I decided at 65, I'm gonna become an adult. [Laughs] Good luck with that."

Jourgensen concluded that one of Ministry's final recordings will be a remake of their 1983 debut album With Sympathy: "I'm not including that as the final album, because that one's actually done. That's what I'm working on now. And we're gonna be done with that re-record as soon as we're done back with the Gary Numan tour that we're doing in March. Then I spend a month finishing this re-record with all new updated versions of that first record with this new band. So it's obviously different, new arrangements. I hated that record for 40 years, but with this band, the way that we're approaching it, it makes these songs almost relevant 40 years later, whereas I used to hate them. The whole thing was I went and saw a Ministry cover band about two years ago here in L.A. And in in a sense, for the first time ever, I kind of got what some of the fans of that early stuff, what they got out of it. I started to understand. And then one night, when we were on tour with Numan last year, the band sneaks up on me. I mean, we play stuff after a show and listen to it while we're driving. And all of a sudden, they started playing this early stuff that they had done behind my back. They'd been working on it for four months. 'Cause they knew how to hate it. So they waited until I was completely 'shroomed out of my mind and wasted, and they started playing this stuff. And after seeing this cover band, I'm going, 'Okay. All right. Why not? Let's try it.' And so, yeah, I'm really happy with these new versions. So that that's actually gonna come out before the last album I do with Barker. So we'll have two albums out next year and a bunch of tours."

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Ministry
Posted: 27.02.2024 by Metal God

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 13   Visited by: 101 users
27.02.2024 - 22:39
omne metallum
Contributor
So is this time, the last, last time then?
----
Just because I'm not listening doesn't mean I don't care
27.02.2024 - 22:54
musclassia
Staff
Written by omne metallum on 27.02.2024 at 22:39

They're definitely breaking up: they've got a new album coming out, then they're going to do a full album re-recording, then they have another album coming out, but after that, they're definitely disbanding... apart from the two other albums they'll suddenly have in the pipeline after those
27.02.2024 - 22:58
Kub
This sounds fantastic. New version of With Sympathy and then final album with Barker. Couldn't wish for better plan for Ministry.

I also hope Uncle Al comes back again with Ministry after all that!
27.02.2024 - 23:20
Metal God
Contributor

Yeah this is probably the 25th time he's said either goodbye or something to the effect of "No, I'm not making another album after the next one or the other one".
28.02.2024 - 02:07
Vellichor
Never followed Ministry and don’t know much about Al Jorgensen but he seems like a good guy and wants to do some good in the latter half of his life, can’t argue with that
28.02.2024 - 06:44
Opethian
All the best, Al. Thank you
28.02.2024 - 07:42
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Such a great band taking a final call on its journey while I sense the fading since the release of "AmeriKKKant".
28.02.2024 - 09:05
baldur
Written by Vellichor on 28.02.2024 at 02:07

Never followed Ministry and don’t know much about Al Jorgensen but he seems like a good guy and wants to do some good in the latter half of his life, can’t argue with that

Al is a (ex) Junkie, he is everything but a "good" guy. A funny guy thats for sure!

https://www.revolvermag.com/artist-artist-lists-news/7-insane-stories-creation-ministry%E2%80%99s-psalm-69/23523
28.02.2024 - 14:12
Vellichor
Reading that article just sounds like someone who struggled with addiction 30 years ago and was surrounded with people in the same boat. I’m sure there’s a lot more I don’t know about the guy and maybe he just sucks but I don’t believe being a junkie makes you a bad person
28.02.2024 - 14:48
Metal God
Contributor
Written by Kub on 27.02.2024 at 22:58

This sounds fantastic. New version of With Sympathy and then final album with Barker. Couldn't wish for better plan for Ministry.

I also hope Uncle Al comes back again with Ministry after all that!

I'll bet he'll change his mind after those two albums he's putting out. How many times he's gotta say "I'm not putting out another album after this album or that album" and then he ends up releasing one anyway, I guess we'll never know.
29.02.2024 - 08:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Not a suspires they has burn out them selves and industrial music has no much to play whit
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.03.2024 - 02:00
Metal God
Contributor
Written by baldur on 28.02.2024 at 09:05

Written by Vellichor on 28.02.2024 at 02:07

Al is a (ex) Junkie, he is everything but a "good" guy. A funny guy thats for sure!

https://www.revolvermag.com/artist-artist-lists-news/7-insane-stories-creation-ministry%E2%80%99s-psalm-69/23523

He's probably the Keith Richards of industrial metal/rock. I mean both he and Al have both survived addictions.
14.03.2024 - 01:18
Metal God
Contributor
Written by musclassia on 27.02.2024 at 22:54

They're definitely breaking up: they've got a new album coming out, then they're going to do a full album re-recording, then they have another album coming out, but after that, they're definitely disbanding... apart from the two other albums they'll suddenly have in the pipeline after those

Al always changes mind whenever a "final" album comes out, so I'll kinda be surprised if he means it when he says that both the next album (with original material) and re-recording of With Sympathy will be the last of Ministry.

Hits total: 1574 | This month: 30