Metal Storm logo
Massive heavy metal youtube channel takedown took place

08.03.2024 - 20:19
Joppe
Steelemeister
And I do believe it was because of copyrights

Heavy Metal Maniacs was one of the channels that was terminated. I was huge fan of this channel because it set me towards to listening to countless of albums that I had never heard of before. There were some other channels too, that were banned, I don't remember their names but I do appropriate them too nevertheless for providing folks stuff to listen.

I do hope that the channels will be returned, especially Heavy Metal Maniacs, as they had such a large number of views and exposure to heavy metal listeners.
----
My vision is augmented
09.03.2024 - 06:15
Metal Rasputin
They will be back. Either they fix whatever problems they have with their current channels or create whole new ones. The same thing has been going on since the early days of youtube. I still remember when I found a NWOBHM channel as a teenager and it felt like the best thing in the world. I remember it was taken down multiple times and always reappeared one way or another.

It would be wise not to trust any tech companies or cloud services with this stuff and instead get physical or digital copies of the albums and other things you need or enjoy. You see, these things can be taken down any day in a matter of seconds either on purpose or by a mere glitch, but they can't come to your house and take what's legally yours. I personally don't even use Spotify unless I really have no other options.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
09.03.2024 - 10:36
nikarg
Staff
Well, if they uploaded stuff without the bands' permission, then they should be down. Bands do not pay bills with "exposure".

Try NWOTHM Full Albums. All the uploads are with permission, and many times bands and labels premiere their new stuff there.
09.03.2024 - 14:58
Metal Rasputin
Bands have right to take down any video or channel that uses their music without permission, yes, no matter how stupid it is in the long run. The exposure isn't just nothing and I think there were some monetizing options where the artists could get paid when people uploaded their music on the platform and ran some ads. I don't own a channel, so I don't know about the details.

I know a guy who came up with this idea of collecting all kinds of old school Finnish death metal albums and demos and uploading them to his channel, this was in the mid 2000's when nobody knew or talked about this stuff. Some of the songs actually got hundreds of thousands of views and even the bands themselves started contacting him and sending him their material. Later many of these bands re-released their long forgotten albums and demos and many of them even made comeback. We wouldn't probably have Convulse, Xysma, Demilich, Purtenance and others active right now without this one dude.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
09.03.2024 - 22:14
Joppe
Steelemeister
Written by Metal Rasputin on 09.03.2024 at 14:58

The exposure isn't just nothing

I believe this is true if we are talking about bands that aren't very popular. How would people find them? If the band plays live locally then that way. What if the marketing sucks? Then people most likely won't hear about them. Or maybe somebody you know would recommend them. If I comment from my perspective, the youtube algorithm is actually pretty good at suggesting stuff to listen if we talk about these lesser known bands/records. And if somebody doesn't know the band name or the album title it might just be unlikely that he/she would land listening to that stuff they seek most. That's why I mentioned Heavy Metal Maniacs because whoever ran it had a good taste for music and lots of albums I've posted on here I found from that channel.
----
My vision is augmented
16.03.2024 - 01:18
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Now Death Metal Promotion has been taken down as well
(at least they're continuing with a second channel)