Metal Storm logo
Sinister

23.11.2007 - 18:41
I finally got to 100 posts and can create topics, so what better band to start with than Sinister?

This band is somewhat dark death metal, although less than Immolation or Incantation. They never received the recognition that they deserved, and I think that is due to the first three albums (which are considered classics by some) have shitty production, while the later albums have relatively good production, although most felt the quality of the music went down.

I have heard songs from the first four albums and own Hate, which is a very good album. Any thoughts on this underrated band?
23.11.2007 - 22:31
Existenzangst
Account deleted
Sinister have released some good stuff befor they started to suck balls. The first release by them which I got my hands on was their debut ep, I liked what I heard so I tried them out. Cross the Styk and Diabolical Summoning are like you've mentioned pure classics from the second wave of death metal and more people should listen to this stuff, though I can't recommend anything else by them. Maybe the new album, I didn't listen to Afterburner yet, but I don't think that I will anyway.
24.11.2007 - 04:45
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I'm sorta familiar with them, mostly because of the side project, Infinited Hate. From what I've heard they're pretty awesome, especially those awesome riffs.
24.11.2007 - 17:15
I'd recommend checking them out. Hate is highly recommended, and I've seen several people say Cross the Styx is their favorite DM album. Diabolical Summoning is also excellent, although the drums have a tendency to drown out the other instruments.
11.02.2008 - 00:59
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
I agree with theflyingmachine, for me Hate is their best album although Cross The Styx being a great great album!
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
11.02.2008 - 23:51
Abattoir
Staff
Not bad band at all. They have some cool songs. I was on one of their concert and they haven't let me down...very good brutal staff
01.03.2008 - 01:18
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I've heard their cd Afterburner a couple of times and i think that it's really good. I've also listenned to some of their older stuff and it's also great. It's true that this band is way underrated, they should get more recognition for the quality of their music sometimes you can't have it all though.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
21.04.2008 - 00:40
Aldaz0r
Account deleted
Savage or Grace is a good album
21.04.2008 - 14:19
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Yeeaah, I remember my good old says when we met with a friend to listen to Cross The Styx and drink beer... their first three albums were incredibly strong, but when they hired Rachel everything good fucked off... girls are not made for death metal, for fuck's sake!
21.04.2008 - 14:23
Leading The Rats
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 21.04.2008 at 14:19

girls are not made for death metal, for fuck's sake!

check these great all-female bands out:

Valhalla (Brazil)
Nuclear Death
Derketa
Mythic

edit: forgot that nuclear death isn't a all-female band, but the vocals are grunted by a chick, and she rules.

and don't forget about bolt thrower's Jo-Anne
21.05.2008 - 06:15
Any fans of Aggressive Measures? Do you all think Sinister went downhill before or after that album (or do you think that they are still going strong )?
25.05.2008 - 04:16
Ka Tet
I found a cheap copy of Aggressive Measures while I was looking for an earlier Sinister and bought it, but I couldn't get into it at the time. It just doesn't seem to stand up to the rest that I'd heard. I'm giving it a new listen right now, and while I don't think it's bad I would most likely choose to listen to Hate or Diabolical Summoning...
25.05.2008 - 17:21
Written by Ka Tet on 25.05.2008 at 04:16

I found a cheap copy of Aggressive Measures while I was looking for an earlier Sinister and bought it, but I couldn't get into it at the time. It just doesn't seem to stand up to the rest that I'd heard. I'm giving it a new listen right now, and while I don't think it's bad I would most likely choose to listen to Hate or Diabolical Summoning...

I just listened to it for the first time recently and was also a little disappointed. Have you heard Cross the Styx?
29.05.2008 - 23:57
Ka Tet
Written by theflyingmachine on 25.05.2008 at 17:21

Written by Ka Tet on 25.05.2008 at 04:16

I just listened to it for the first time recently and was also a little disappointed. Have you heard Cross the Styx?

Not yet, A friend has Hate & Diabolical Summoning so they were my intro into Sinister. I haven't found any of the older ones yet. I've heard enough good things on this site about Cross the Styx that if I see it I will pick it up. I should probably just buy them all online since that's probably the only way I'll find them...
01.06.2008 - 04:36
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Who here enjoys their latest release Afterburner, listening to it right now, i think it's pretty solid. Perhaps more catchy and more melodic than their older efforts, but nonetheless, killer album, at least to me.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
01.06.2008 - 04:45
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I haven't heard Afterbuner, but I'm still looking forward to their next album, The Silent Howling, which supposedly comes out in October.
01.06.2008 - 05:42
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Yeah looking forward to The Silent Howling, let's see what they could deliver, i recommend Afterburner, might not be their best effort, but it's worth a listen.
----
23.10.2008 - 02:08
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Has anyone heard the new album yet? I didn't like it much on my first listen - you guys definitely should listen to it before buying.
12.05.2010 - 14:04
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Looks like Sinister will be recording their new album, Legacy of Ashes, in October

I just got done listening to Hate again at work today and decided to order the Hate/Bastard Saints re-release. Still don't know which album I like more - Cross the Styx or Hate... they're both fucking great
12.05.2010 - 16:29
Written by Dangerboner on 12.05.2010 at 14:04

I just got done listening to Hate again at work today and decided to order the Hate/Bastard Saints re-release. Still don't know which album I like more - Cross the Styx or Hate... they're both fucking great

I always ask myself that same question too lol. They are definitely the two top Sinister albums...and then I'd say Aggressive Measures is a distant third. They rehashed many of the riffs on that album, but it is a pretty fast and solid album.
Diabolical Summoning pisses me off because the production is crap. I never understand why so many bands have an excellent debut with raw production, while their second album is brought down by the production.

Haven't heard too many of the post-Aggressive Measures albums, as they all seem to get bad reviews. If the quality of the cover is anything like the upcoming album, I will definitely be checking it out though.