Metal Storm logo
More link Popups

Original post

Posted by corrupt, 28.03.2024 - 22:57
I consider this an experiment because I want to see if and how much it would annoy me and others.

Almost everywhere on the site where a band is linked, you can now hover over the link and a popup will appear quite like with shoutbox links and show you (what I consider) the most important data about said band.

The same is true for reviews in the sidebar, albeit through another technology.

As usual, feedback to me please.
13.04.2024 - 14:51
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
Written by corrupt on 13.04.2024 at 13:37

Both year of formation and disbanding are now displayed as applicable in a "active <from> – <till>" form. Hiatuses are not displayed.

Wow that's great, thank you
----
14.04.2024 - 13:39
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Two new changes:

On desktop the popup will now disappear right when the mouse stops hovering a link. So even if you move the mouse over the popup, it will disappear. That should fix UX issues some people have reported in situations with many links in a block of text or a list.

On mobile it is now possible to click a link twice to follow it immediately. There are still visual bugs here and there where the popup doesn't appear at the bottom of the screen but the bottom of the page content that I'm investigating, but in general it seems plausible to be able to follow a link without having to move around the page to the bottom. So single click will open the popup, two clicks will follow the link immediately.
----
14.04.2024 - 13:55
Redel
Written by corrupt on 14.04.2024 at 13:39

On mobile it is now possible to click a link twice to follow it immediately.

Well, for me ( on Android) it now doesnt even need the second click. Waiting for about one second would forward already after the first click -- at least on user profiles in the member list.
But you know what, no need to fix that if you ask me, since that is exactly how I would like it to function.
14.04.2024 - 13:58
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Redel on 14.04.2024 at 13:55
Well, for me ( on Android) it now doesnt even need the second click. Waiting for about one second would forward already after the first click -- at least on user profiles in the member list.
But you know what, no need to fix that if you ask me, since that is exactly how I would like it to function.

Hm. Indeed. That is a bug however and I will fix it

It's just super frustrating that browser-emulated touch behavior works so differently from actual devices. In the absence of test devices I can only ever push these changes and wait for feedback

Edit: the fix is in.
----
14.04.2024 - 14:10
Redel
Written by corrupt on 14.04.2024 at 13:58

Edit: the fix is in.