Metal Storm logo
Sabaton

Original post

Posted by Baz Anderson, 06.06.2006 - 20:42
I am not sure how many people know Sabaton, but people that went to see Edguy and Dragonforce on their last tour should have seen them open the show.

Sabaton are a traditional heavy/power metal band from Sweden and I think are very good indeed!
On their site, they just have one album listed - 'Primo Victoria' from 2005
but they have recorded other albums that were ignored because they thought they weren't very good or whatever - but there is an album 'Fist For Fight' which is like a compilation of early songs which I think is rather good too.

They are a couple of months away from releasing another album 'Attero Dominatus' which I cant wait to hear.

I hope if there is anyone that doesnt know them reading this - they will listen to a few tracks or something and hopefully get into them.
I think they are going to stick around for a bit - I hope they will anyway.

So tell me what you think of the band and anything else you want to say - news on the new album, anything.
Thanks!
04.05.2010 - 15:47
Thor26
Well, it came. I'm pretty disappointed.
----
With Odin on our side!
09.05.2010 - 19:55
Angel Of Mercy
When you saw them live?
----
Your time will come.
08.06.2010 - 12:31
albatros
I listened to Coat Of Arms a couple times. For me it's definitely a solid album. It is quite possible, that I will like it even more after after a couple more spins. I think their music has developed and it might take a while to sink in.
08.06.2010 - 15:40
Edmund Fogg
Coat Of Arms is a good album,but nothing more.It doesn't feel nearly as epic as The Art Of War.Many songs on that album are now instant classic like Cliffs Of Galipoli or The Price Of A Mile just to name those 2.Maybe Coats of Arms and The Saboteur will become classics but I doubt it
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
08.06.2010 - 16:50
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Screaming Eagles easily destroys anything except Ghost Division

also Metal Ripper is awesome song after two or three listens
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

08.06.2010 - 17:26
Edmund Fogg
I just can't take Screaming Eagles seriously beacause a leather clothing stores has that same name and I just have their horrible tv commercials that pops in my head when I hear or see the name.Metal Ripper is great but I think it just hasn't sink in yet
----
08.06.2010 - 17:34
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Hm...since i dunno about such a stores, i dont have problems

and 101th Airborne at Bastogne...this is simply superb lyrics theme
----

08.06.2010 - 18:30
Edmund Fogg
You are lucky haha.Well it looks like I need to listen to the album a bit more.Goddam so many albums,so little time
----
27.06.2010 - 22:50
arwestromen
Is it me or are most of the metalstormers disapointed on the new album? I just bought it...yes I did... and I think it's perhaps even better then art of war...I got tired of that album pretty fast. Ok it's not a new PV or AD but it's still a very strong and powerful album
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
27.06.2010 - 23:11
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by arwestromen on 27.06.2010 at 22:50

Is it me or are most of the metalstormers disapointed on the new album? I just bought it...yes I did... and I think it's perhaps even better then art of war...I got tired of that album pretty fast. Ok it's not a new PV or AD but it's still a very strong and powerful album

I like Sabaton, a good band. All the albums are pretty much identical IMO. Same with the new album, but I actually think it might be their best so far.
----
02.07.2010 - 00:02
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
It is you, because the newest album is simply awesome ... quite short, however
----

02.07.2010 - 05:23
Sulac
I recently discovered these guys, and picked up Primo Victoria. Solid album, though I haven't listened to it nearly as much as I normally would cause I happened to get Blind Guardian's A Twist In The Myth, Kamelot's Ghost Opera, and Nightwish's Dark Passion Play at the exact same time, and I've been listening to them pretty much nonstop. (DoomSword and Avantasia were stricken by this same misfortune as well.)
02.07.2010 - 11:14
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Lol, you are a lucky guy

which reminds me i didnt purchased any new album since April, which is something i have to fix soon
----

05.07.2010 - 00:59
Herb
Sabaton is alright. All their stuff is very similar though and pretty repetitive, but its a good listen. They were on public tv a few times since everyone here fell in love with them for making a few songs about our armed forces. Typical - pat my country men on their back once and theyll be eating out of your hand, pat them twice and theyll have their mouths full.
07.07.2010 - 03:55
Sulac
Okay. I though these guys were good before, but I'm now completely in love with them after watching the video for Cliffs of Gallipoli (both music video and live vid). I'm ordering Art Of War today and I've been listening to Primo Victoria pretty much nonstop.
25.10.2010 - 11:36
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I have just realized, that the song "Metal Ripper" starts exactly the same as Judas Priest's "The Ripper" from 76...which leads me the question - does anyone know, which intention is under this song? all know "Metal Health" have lyrics build up from famous metal song titles, "Metal Crüe" from band names...what is this song about?
----

25.10.2010 - 14:00
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Ellrohir on 25.10.2010 at 11:36

I have just realized, that the song "Metal Ripper" starts exactly the same as Judas Priest's "The Ripper" from 76...which leads me the question - does anyone know, which intention is under this song? all know "Metal Health" have lyrics build up from famous metal song titles, "Metal Crüe" from band names...what is this song about?

haha, i just read the lyrics myself and being the classic metal fanboy that i am, i couldn't help but catch all the references in the lyrics:

you're in for a suprise,
You're in for a shock.
In long gone tall streets, where there is darkness and fog - Judas Priest - The Ripper

I'm going down, all the way down,
Up on the highway to hell from here! - AC/DC - Highway to Hell

Oh, Mr. Crowley did you talk to the dead? - Ozzy Osbourne - Mr Crowley

Sleep with the devil, and then you must pay! - Rainbow - Gates of Babylon

In the land of the damned,
Come on in child take my hand!
(hear the rising force) - possibly a nod to the band Rising Force

Watch the devils the damned, they're gonna break the chains - Accept - Balls to the Wall

Twisting you mind, a smash in your dreams.
blinded by me you cant see a thing! - Metallica - Master of Puppets(had to google this one, couldn't remember)

Torches blazed and sacred chants were phrased - Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast

Blood on your face you big disgrace! - Queen - We Will Rock You

ALL ABOARD, Hahahahaha - Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train

as you can see it's yet another song the Princes of Cheese made just for fun
26.10.2010 - 19:48
Cathaldus
Sabaton is my favorite of the newer era bands. I have read that their style has been called 'Battle Metal' and it is totally appropriate!

Something for everyone interested in a driving music with pride. Screaming Eagles about the 101st Airborne division's stand at Bastogne to Counterstrike about the 6 day war where Irsael kicked butt to 40-1 about the Polish and the Warsaw Uprising in 1944.. great themes for metal IMO
29.10.2010 - 03:37
BerserkerLT
They are going on a tour to Europe. Great band , big respect.
28.11.2010 - 05:14
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I must say i changed my mind about Sabaton in the past few weeks. they are indeed a great live band, and now i see that they're supporting ACCEPT on their USA/Canada tour. EPICNESS ENSUES.
14.12.2010 - 21:18
IronAngel
I just heard them for the first time, as I decided to revisit power metal and check the year's releases, for the first time in years. They write great, catchy melodies. The songs are very simple and the album is very samey, but it works. Their sense of melody is just so good I can even forgive the embarassing lyrics.
14.01.2011 - 10:55
ForeverDarkWoods
DAMN is this band mediocre!

Do yourself a favour and put on Running Wild instead (a band which apparently inspired Sabaton to a very large extent and is much better).
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
14.01.2011 - 15:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 14.01.2011 at 10:55

Do yourself a favour and put on Running Wild instead (a band which apparently inspired Sabaton to a very large extent and is much better).

And yet is also still mediocre at best
But Sabaton is extremely bad imo, both on album and live.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.05.2011 - 20:34
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Man, sabaton rock! I just love their lyrics and the guitars are are the best! Listening for any song of the album "primo victoria" make my ears have an orgasm...

If it wasn't the band Maximum The Hormone, that influenced a lot my way of listen musics, i can say sabaton is the best band ever.
26.03.2012 - 21:53
FeskarN
According to rumors Sabaton will drop 4 (!) members. That's really sad that this happen to a band which members have been part of the band since they started except for the keyboardist who joined 2005. This band will not be the same in live situations anymore. I hope that this is not true. Here is a link to the news: http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.Net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=171765
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
29.03.2012 - 09:09
Stabby
Account deleted
That's completely fucked! If it's true. His words suggest that something is up. At least Joakim will still be in the band, the others are talented but replaceable, at least for me.
02.04.2012 - 17:53
arwestromen
This sucks!!!! true story
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
05.04.2012 - 00:29
InverseStorm
Its true. But they've already got 3 new members, only missing a keyboardist (and Joakim started off as one) Heard their new single? It's awesome. Awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab2cXTLpe2I

Unfortunately, theyre not coming to the UK. Why, sabaton? Just because we had a better empire...
----
<3 Dio
HAIL SABATON!
05.04.2012 - 00:48
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Well, the new song sounds pretty good imo, very epic as expected of Sabaton. I could get only 10% or so of the lyrics (something about this is king Charles' song, how he's going around Stockholm to prepare for war) but lyrics have also been one of Sabaton's weak points imo so my hopes aren't that high in this respect.
25.05.2012 - 17:55
arwestromen
Got the new album a few days ago and it's GREAT, the swedish version imo is better but the english version kicks some ass as well
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA