Metal Storm logo
Traditional Doom Metal

23.05.2006 - 11:16
Lord Elden
Account deleted
IIRC Dr. X started a similar topic in the old forum. Anyway, I thought I just as well a start a new one here. With Traditional Doom Metal I mean Sabbath-based bluesy Doom with clean vocals. Thus the thread is meant for bands like for Saint Vitus, Trouble and Candlemass but not My Dying Bride or Katatonia.

Anyway, my favourite Doom Metal bands are the following:
Black Sabbath
Blood Thirsty Demons
Candlemass
Dantesco
Doomsword
Internal Void
Orodruin
Pagan Altar
Pale Divine
Pentagram
Place Of Skulls
Reverend Bizarre
Saint Vitus
Solitude Aeturnus
Spirit Caravan
The Gates Of Slumber
Trouble
Witchcraft
Witchfinder General

Other good Doom bands I listen to are:
Abdullah
Acrimony
Against Nature
Begotten
Bigelf
Blood Farmers
Cathedral
Confessor
Count Raven
Doomshine
Earth Flight
Eight Hands For Kali
Electric Wizard
Forsaken (MLT)
Goatsnake
Grand Magus
Great Coven
Isole
Krux
Leather Nun
L'impero Delle Ombre
Merca
Minotauri
Mood
Penance
Sorcery
Spiritus Mortis
Starchild
The Hidden Hand
The Obsessed
Thunderstorm
Veni Domine
Voodooshock
Wall Of Sleep
Well Of Souls (US)
Witch Mountain
World Below

The list became quite extensive... Anyway, any more Trad. Doomsters around here (besides Dr. X)? And in case, yes, what are your favourites?
23.05.2006 - 11:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Man raditcional doom are close to haavy metal how to doom metal, because sometimes lyrics arnt so deep, epic poetic how outher doom metal genres, but still traditional doom metal are amazing and great genre and great music
You forgot St. Vitus, Pentagram, Hymn To The Ancent(Swe) and Acid Bath and Mesia Marcolin band Momento Mori, I can not think traditional doom metal bands
But Caldera, Earthride, Troble,Life Beyond, Circle of Nero, Bells of Doom

Cathedral are death doom metal not traditional doom metal
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.05.2006 - 12:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Renessanss on 23.05.2006 at 12:31

Most of the bands you mentioned are unknown to me, so I have some catching up to do...

I generally like the more intense funeral or death doom, but there are still many great trad doom bands out in the scenes that appeal to me for different reasons, esp. Cathedral ( @Kariasakis7: Cathedral is as trad as one could get, I don't get the "death" thing)
Though I rarely listen to trad, Cathedral's latest release has haunted my CD- player for quite some time now...

I'll be searching for new bands
Stay Doom!

Katerdral in early days are death doom, listen them, its death metal vocals and it sdeath www.doom-metal.com didnt say its traditional doom, and traditional are slow, but whit normal vocals.
I think ozman can bether explain about them.
----

23.05.2006 - 15:02
Lord Elden
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 23.05.2006 at 11:41
You forgot St. Vitus, Pentagram

No.

Momento Mori

I have listened to them, I just don't think they aren as good as Candlemass.

Cathedral are death doom metal not traditional doom metal

I don't think I need a lesson in Doom Metal... While the vocals aren't quite clean it's not growling either. And they changed style later on anyway (towards Stoner/Doom). I definitely say they are more close to Trad. Doom than Death/Doom. This is what doom-metal.com actually says (in case my word isn't enough):
"One of the forefathers of modern doom-metal, Cathedral were formed by former Napalm Death vocalist Lee Dorrian. Early albums were extremely slow, heavy doom with some psychedelic influences. Their sound slowly began to change towards the more groove-rock/stoner sound of the later material. Although primarily known for Dorrian's extremely unique vocals, the music is doom in its purest form, especially on their earlier albums."
23.05.2006 - 15:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=4900] on 23.05.2006 at 15:02

No.

I have listened to them, I just think they aren't as good as Candlemass.

I don't think I need a lesson in Doom Metal... While the vocals aren't quite clean it's not growling either. And they changed style later on anyway (towards Stoner/Doom). I definitely say they are more close to Trad. Doom than Death/Doom. This is what doom-metal.com actually says (in case my word isn't enough):
"One of the forefathers of modern doom-metal, Cathedral were formed by former Napalm Death vocalist Lee Dorrian. Early albums were extremely slow, heavy doom with some psychedelic influences. Their sound slowly began to change towards the more groove-rock/stoner sound of the later material. Although primarily known for Dorrian's extremely unique vocals, the music is doom in its purest form, especially on their earlier albums."

Man in early days thay play death/doom metal and nowdays thay change tem style in midle of 90ties I dunno what style it is but
I listen early albums of them I like specely firts two albums
Leither its not my cup of tea
----

23.05.2006 - 21:51
VenoM_BM
Account deleted
@Kariasakis7: I have to agree with Lord Elden on this one Cathedral are more colse to trad than doom/death.

Now that's a long list Mr. Lord, and it seems I have to learn a little bit more about this trad doom thing.

First bands I know and have/listened to from your list and like: Black Sabbath, Blood Thirsty Demons, Candlemass, Dantesco, Doomsword, Internal Void, Orodruin, Pentagram, Place of Skulls, Reverend Bizarre, Saint Vitus, Solitude Aeturnus, Spirit Caravan, Trouble, Witchfinder General, Bigelf, Cathedral, Confessor, Count Raven, Electric Wizard, Grand Magus, Isole, Krux, Thunderstorm, Veni Domine, Wall of Sleep.

I would add: Dark Quarterer, Dawn of Winter & Revelation (US)

My favorite are Candlemass, Doomsword, Solitude Aeternus, Place of Skulls, Count Raven & Blood Thirsty Demons.

I know I still have so much to learn about this genre which I find it so on my likeing.

One problem I don't find Bigelf & Electric Wizard so trad doom metal. If you included Electric Wizard you could also put Orange Goblin here, which I preffer more than the other .
24.05.2006 - 10:34
Lord Elden
Account deleted
Written by [user id=2267] on 23.05.2006 at 21:51
I would add: Dark Quarterer, Dawn of Winter & Revelation (US)

I forgot DQ, yeah . Dawn Of Winter sounded too... German. How should I put it, too something. Not bad though. Revelation is basically the new Against Nature so I didn't really forget them.

Written by [user id=2267] on 23.05.2006 at 21:51
One problem I don't find Bigelf & Electric Wizard so trad doom metal. If you included Electric Wizard you could also put Orange Goblin here, which I preffer more than the other .

Bigelf is quite stonerish, true. With Electric Wizard I mostly meant the first album, the rest are more towards Stoner/Doom.
I like Orange Goblin too, but I think they too are more towards Stoner/Doom.
24.05.2006 - 19:43
VenoM_BM
Account deleted
My point of view exacty, not very keen on this stoner thing, just like Spiritual Beggars. With Bigelf I have a very big problem now they sound like Sabbath, next Pink Floyd next Led Zepp. Quite a strange band and it amazed me how they can sing like one band now and the next moment they are somewhere beyond that.

Talking about Spiritual Beggars, the other band formed by members of Spiritual Beggars Grand Magus is more on my likeing, although the stoner influences are felt here also.

I've listened today to Thunderstorm's "Faithless Soul" and I just thought how much better does In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida sounds than the original and I can't remember who the hell are the original band that played it.
24.05.2006 - 22:12
Lord Elden
Account deleted
It was originally by Iron Butterfly.
25.05.2006 - 09:16
Southern Wind
Account deleted
@Venom_BM: Great you know and like Blood Thirsty Demons, but they're more horror oriented Heavy Metal, I don't see any doom in their music...

also from Italy, I recommend All Souls Day... sound like a much more dense Candlemass.
25.05.2006 - 09:41
VenoM_BM
Account deleted
@Southern Wind: I know them although they are trad. I don't really like them, probably if I'll give them another listen now after 4 years probably I'll like them. Right now I'm waiting for my L'Impero Delle Ombre album, should arrive in 2 weeks.
@Lord Elden: thank you! I absolutely forgot the name of the band

Now I didn't see anybody mention Tristitia. I have only "The Last Grief" and is the only one I'd reccomend. The others have are more doom/death oriented.
25.05.2006 - 11:54
Lord Elden
Account deleted
Written by [user id=5080] on 25.05.2006 at 09:16

@Venom_BM: Great you know and like Blood Thirsty Demons, but they're more horror oriented Heavy Metal, I don't see any doom in their music...

I agree it's arguable whether or not the music is actually Doom Metal, however, there are definitely doomy moments (I personally see them more as Doom Metal than just Heavy Metal). The same way it's arguable whether or not Dark Quarterer is really Doom or not.

All Souls' Day I've listened to, but I wasn't that impressed. It might grow on me though.
25.05.2006 - 22:52
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by [user id=4900] on 25.05.2006 at 11:54

Written by [user id=5080] on 25.05.2006 at 09:16

I agree it's arguable whether or not the music is actually Doom Metal, however, there are definitely doomy moments (I personally see them more as Doom Metal than just Heavy Metal). The same way it's arguable whether or not Dark Quarterer is really Doom or not.

All Souls' Day I've listened to, but I wasn't that impressed. It might grow on me though.

They have a few Black-Sabbathish songs, but it's not the essence of their music.
26.05.2006 - 01:29
Richard
Elite
Good thread! Some great bands have already been mentioned, and also many that I haven't heard! But here are a few of my favourites which haven't been mentioned yet:

Solstice (UK)
Epic, melodic Doom Metal with soaring clear vocals. Highly recommended to fans of bands like Solitude Aeturnus (I like S.A. but personally I prefer Solstice). Check out Lamentations and New Dark Age.

Warning (UK)
Veeeeeerry slow, to the extent that they have been referred to as 'Funeral March Doom'! But fear not, they're not a 'Funeral Doom' band - they are a traditional Doom Metal band with memorable vocal melodies, which just happens to play a lot slower than most trad doom bands are known for. Their demo 'Blessed By The Sabbath' was good, but their debut (and, I think, only) album 'The Strength To Dream' was simply superb.

Asphodel (Greece)
A very unique sounding band. I recommend their debut MCD Floatin' In Nowhere to anyone who likes trad doom but would also like to hear something a bit unusual. The vocalist is female, with a mid-range voice, and the band uses a lot of accordion to express their influences from traditional Greek music.

Paul Chain (Italy)
Not all his stuff is Doom Metal, but I'm specifically thinking to the album Alkahest. 70's-style heavy doom, ranging from slow to 'rockin' with Chain's clear, quite high melodic vocals on the first half of the album. (Bizarrely, the language he sings doesn't actually exist! There's only one line IIRC where he actually uses proper words! But it sounds really good). On the second half of the album, Lee Dorrian of Cathedral is the guest vocalist.

The River (UK)
Bleak, repetitive dirge-style Doom but with memorable songs and great melodic vocals (the vocalist is female). I have only heard (and reviewed) their 2-track demo CD 'Oneiric Dirges in Mono'. You can read my old review on their website http://www.doomriver.co.uk/reviews (mine is the one which says "review courtesy of Richard Stuart).
----
26.05.2006 - 02:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Richard on 26.05.2006 at 01:29

Asphodel (Greece)
A very unique sounding band. I recommend their debut MCD Floatin' In Nowhere to anyone who likes trad doom but would also like to hear something a bit unusual. The vocalist is female, with a mid-range voice, and the band uses a lot of accordion to express their influences from traditional Greek music.

I agree soem good bands are mentioned.

I know this band, I had sen them live in TV and well thay play more greek traditional music how doom metal, but leither I mean in night thay play some doom metal and yes there was influencies from greek muisc and areal, mountains and so. We soemwhere discuss about county, area, nature and lyrics,

Seems we shoud ask Maria about this band

But I like greek traditional music too, songs and traditional instruments, so I love listen it

Outher bands I dunno noone what you mantion, maybe River, but I think there are planty bands whit name River
----

26.05.2006 - 07:24
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
@Lord Elden: Dude, that is one cool list.

I've been listening to this band called The Swordand I like them. They have only one album out called, Age of Winters and it's quite epic and has some doomy riffs.
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
26.05.2006 - 09:59
Lord Elden
Account deleted
Solstice (UK)

Yeah, I really do like Solstice. I have one or two partial albums (mp3s) and have never seen the original releases.

Warning (UK)

Again hard to come by, I've only heard one long song (The Strenght To Dream).

Paul Chain (Italy)

The reason I didn't include him as you said, little of his material is actual Doom. I have two-three original
albums and many many mp3s, his music is quite hard to find. I wish I had all his material.
26.05.2006 - 12:14
VenoM_BM
Account deleted
Solstice seem very hard to find, I have a friend that has both albums "Lamentations" & "Dark New Age" on casette, I could never find anything from them except at this guy.

Do the canadians from Sheavy count? I have their "Republic?" wihci I find a very good album, although with some stoner influences.

Edit: Forgot to mention Forsaken, also Spiritus Mortis who are to release an album this year I think, although not very sure of this.
26.05.2006 - 17:13
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Written by [user id=2267] on 26.05.2006 at 12:14

Do the canadians from Sheavy count? I have their "Republic?" wihci I find a very good album, although with some stoner influences.

I like them a lot. I have Blue Sky Mind, and it's a real groove-laden album. My only quirk with the album is that the lead singer sounds too damn much like Ozzy Osbourne
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
26.05.2006 - 18:10
VenoM_BM
Account deleted
@ Cryptic Myth: You should then listen to Count Raven to see a singer that sings almost 100% like Ozzy. A friend of mine was completly shokced after we listened to "Destruction of the Void" 2 times to learn that it wasn't Ozzy. Hope he isn't still recovering.
27.05.2006 - 20:15
Danielazo
Account deleted
Count Raven it's a very good band though, "Destuction Of The Void" is an outstanding album.
27.05.2006 - 22:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=5080] on 27.05.2006 at 20:15

Count Raven it's a very good band though, "Destuction Of The Void" is an outstanding album.

Are you Southern Wind if yes its our worts awataer and nick from all

About Count Raven thay are great band from Sweden, I had been all albums, but thay are delite, but some day I will dounloud again them.
When I was in Sweden I saw in stors one cD, but I hawnt money whit me, and next day some by them
I like all albums and hope thay will recordet new some day
----

28.05.2006 - 00:58
Danielazo
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 27.05.2006 at 22:29

About Count Raven thay are great band from Sweden, I had been all albums, but thay are delite, but some day I will dounloud again them.
When I was in Sweden I saw in stors one cD, but I hawnt money whit me, and next day some by them

Hey, my avatar is great (the best album in 2006 so far) and my nickname also rulez (means "Big Daniel" in spanish)... if you don't like them, you can fuck off
28.05.2006 - 03:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=5080] on 28.05.2006 at 00:58

Hey, my avatar is great (the best album in 2006 so far) and my nickname also rulez (means "Big Daniel" in spanish)... if you don't like them, you can fuck off

Dude I didnt know about what it means in spanish, it sounds diferent, but awatar you can put some black or doom metal album covers.
----

28.05.2006 - 03:57
Danielazo
Account deleted
Written by [user id=5080] on 28.05.2006 at 00:58

Man, Sepultura rulez... I still listen to black and doom don't be scared, but new Sepultura is amazing... and it's also a great cover art

I still listen to Poema Arcanus though

going back to Traditional Doom, I had been listening a lot to Trouble, they're amazing specially Run To The Light.
29.05.2006 - 19:40
Lord Elden
Account deleted
Written by [user id=2267] on 26.05.2006 at 12:14
Edit: Forgot to mention Forsaken, also Spiritus Mortis who are to release an album this year I think, although not very sure of this.

Spiritus Mortis already released an album this year. I have the intention to buy it.

@Cryptic Myth: I'll give The Sword some spins in a couple of days.

One band I did forget to mention is OGRE (www.ogrerock.com). They mix Doom and 70's Hard Rock in an awesome way. They have their demo for DL and a couple of samples of their debut album (which I highly recommend).
30.05.2006 - 17:04
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Written by [user id=4900] on 29.05.2006 at 19:40

@Cryptic Myth: I'll give The Sword some spins in a couple of days.

Ok dude, comment back here on how you like it.
----
02.06.2006 - 01:56
Kami-Sama
Account deleted
I just can't find any of Trouble's abum, and I really want to try that band.
Anyway, my favourite traditional doom are Black sabbath (the masters) , Witchcraft that I recently discovered, and of course Reverend Bizarre. But also I listen to many other traditional doom bands like H.E.A.L. that you can download their only EP from their page.
But again, there is nothing like a good doom/death to relax a while

P.S s.o. with soulseek willing to share can please share some good doom with me please?

Doom on!
02.06.2006 - 10:20
Lord Elden
Account deleted
Written by [user id=6097] on 02.06.2006 at 01:56
I just can't find any of Trouble's abum, and I really want to try that band.

So far I've only been able to purchase 3 original albums, so they aren't that easy to come by. But you could try e-mule, I was able to DL all their albums from there.

Written by CrypticMyth on 30.05.2006 at 17:04

Hey, I really like 'em, thanks for the hint!
05.06.2006 - 11:12
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Written by [user id=4900] on 02.06.2006 at 10:20

Written by CrypticMyth on 30.05.2006 at 17:04

Hey, I really like 'em, thanks for the hint!

Well, that's the least I can do after you've listed so many bands to check out
----