Metal Storm logo
Manga

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 04.03.2007 - 22:55
Cheers people!

I noticed that there was no Manga thread in this recreaton forum, and since I am a rather big fan of manga (and mostly prefer it to anime) I would be intressted in discussing it with eventual fans here.

Well to start out I got into reading manga when I was younger, reading Dragonball, One Piece etc. (6-7 years ago). And since then I have had a great intresst in reading manga.

My recent reads involve "Ichi The Killer" , which is a great manga, and here is a description of it:

Yakuza boss Anjo disappears with three hundred million yen. His loyal gang members, lead by the masochist Kakihara, start a search, but their aggressive and gory methods worry the other yakuza gangs. Kakiharas most frightening counterpart is the mysterious Ichi, a psychopathic killer with a dark childhood secret, who is controlled by a retired cop.

This manga is definitly not for the faint of heart since every volume contains so much violence, sex and torture scenes (often in combination) it is quite disgusting to read at times. But since the main characthers really are very intressting, I still cant help but to really enjoy it.

Kakihara the masochist has to be one of the coolest manga protagonists ever, here is a picture of him, notice his slashed cheeks held together with safty pins and his various cool scars. What he is holding in his hand is long needles, which happens to be his favourite toy:

So if anyone has any recommendations etc on great mangas please write here!
The manga genres I enjoy the most are, thrillers / psochological / action. And to a certain degree (if well done) comedymanga in various forms.

/Basso
12.04.2009 - 17:53
Vunts
Hot damn I just read Full Metal Alchemist's 94th chapter...It was so much full of win that I am at the moment unable to think of a better manga chapter, even though the end was a bit disappointing. I am loving this so much more than the anime version.
Another manga, that was made into an anime and had a different storyline, Eureka 7, is also much better on paper. The anime was mostly flowery hippy dandy fun time with a few sprinkles of seriousness. At most rated 13+. However the manga was more gory (ofc nowhere near the more violent ones) and didn't have a happy ending (plus the 3 annoying kids weren't there all the time). Neither did it have the quite useless filler style episodes. I'm re-reading that at the moment.

Of the manga that are updated more frequently than once a month (FMA), I'm reading the popular ones - Naruto and Bleach. Both of them got to big battles around the same time, so it was fun seeing both of them on the same day of the week and looking at the fights unravel.
13.04.2009 - 17:04
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Vunts on 12.04.2009 at 17:53

Hot damn I just read Full Metal Alchemist's 94th chapter...It was so much full of win that I am at the moment unable to think of a better manga chapter, even though the end was a bit disappointing. I am loving this so much more than the anime version.
Another manga, that was made into an anime and had a different storyline, Eureka 7, is also much better on paper. The anime was mostly flowery hippy dandy fun time with a few sprinkles of seriousness. At most rated 13+. However the manga was more gory (ofc nowhere near the more violent ones) and didn't have a happy ending (plus the 3 annoying kids weren't there all the time). Neither did it have the quite useless filler style episodes. I'm re-reading that at the moment.

Of the manga that are updated more frequently than once a month (FMA), I'm reading the popular ones - Naruto and Bleach. Both of them got to big battles around the same time, so it was fun seeing both of them on the same day of the week and looking at the fights unravel.

I haven't read the manga, but man, I hate the show Eureka7. Is the manga really signifigantly better? It would make sense, seeing as how it's the same guy that did Bebop and Champloo.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
13.04.2009 - 19:31
Vunts
Written by Arian Totalis on 13.04.2009 at 17:04

I haven't read the manga, but man, I hate the show Eureka7. Is the manga really signifigantly better? It would make sense, seeing as how it's the same guy that did Bebop and Champloo.

Hmm. Well I don't know exactly how to best answer that, because I don't know what you hated about the anime, but I will try to point out a few key points.
1. The 3 stupid kids aren't in the main picture
2. There are less annoying characters (no Dr. Bear, and I also think that they didn't go to the...what was that, some kind of temple where a buddha was in love with a flower).
3. More blood.
4. Eureka didn't look totally stupid after having that interaction with a wall (in fact I thought that area was done damn good in the manga).
5. No hippy happy good ending. Not going to say how it did end, but if you didn't like the anime one (which I imagine you didn't), you would possibly like this.
6. If I remember correctly, then there was maybe ONE time, that there was written "cut-back-drop-turn" in the entire 23 chapters.

To conclude, I really think that the manga was MUCH significantly better than the anime. Note that this is coming from a person who did consider the good points of the anime to override the crappy parts.
When I saw the last 5 chapters posted in one day, I was clicking non stop to get to the end. I was that excited. And well, the chapters are all around 40-50 pages in length with 23 in total.

I'm not saying that the manga was flawless (god only knows if there is any perfect manga), but I can definitely recommend it to you, unlike the anime, which I wouldn't recommend to anyone, even if I did enjoy it in the end.

To add a bit on, the main story is pretty much the same. It wasn't as drastic as FMAs change. So even though plenty of annoying instances were removed, and a lot was written differently in the middle, then using a simple summary would be very similar to the anime. However, it would have to be really simplistic

Definitely what you need to do if you would read the manga, is take your time and try to imagine the pictures to life. If you're going with the mindset "whatever, i'll just read it, maybe it will be good", then it might fail. But really, the last chapters are just gloriously sad and happy at the same time (note, happy, not hippy dandy happydidoo). Listening to the soundtrack while reading helps as well!
03.05.2009 - 03:05
Wyrd
Hay, can some body recommend some romantic or fantasy manga? Thx
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
24.09.2009 - 18:40
Elio
Red Nightmare
Cool, a manga thread on MS. I've starting reading manga last May, but I got really addicted, I think that reading manga is now my second favorite hobby, after music obvs. So far I've read just few stories, including the awesome Slam Dunk (actually I started reading cause I heard that the anime didn't tell all the story).

My favourite mangaka, for what I've read up to now, has to be Naoki Urasawa. Monster is the best thing I've read so far and right now I'm reading Pluto, other awesome work. I plan to read asap also 20th Century Boys, I've heard that's somethig like the best manga ever.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
23.10.2009 - 03:28
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Wyrd on 03.05.2009 at 03:05

If you like cheesy and romantic stuff you could try with Tsubasa Chronicles Reservoir, (sigh), nice story.

Anyone who have read the last chapter of Naruto, every week I read the new one and it's getting really cool each time.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
25.10.2009 - 08:01
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Anyone read the Dragon Ball AF manga? Fan-made, that came out a while ago... its pretty well drawn, and the story is cool. The story is around chapter 12, I just need to find out what kind of project is this.

Very nostalgic, for the ones who (like me) were addicted with DBZ in its golden age.

Who doesnt remember the rumors about this image? It was kvlt as hell... rendered more rumors than the Triforce on Ocarina of Time.

----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
12.11.2009 - 04:11
nana.MD
Star-Queen

Let's see...uhm i can recommend u a couple of romantic mangas but they have a little bit of comedy, slice of life stuff, id suggest u:

lovely complex (high school usual love problems, a little bit like toradora)
nodame cantabile (although this one has more music stuff, it takes place in a music academy)
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
13.11.2009 - 23:06
Fhuesc
I started to read manga about 1 month ago. My first manga was Berserk, in order to remove the trauma that the unfinished anime left me, but after almost 400 issues, i found out that it's also unfinished . Either way, finished or unfinished i highly recommend Berserk.

Now i'm reading Fullmetal Alchemist, which, also, isn't finished yet, but on the contrary to Berserk a new issue comes every month.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
13.11.2009 - 23:16
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
I've got all the Dragon Ball manga the entire collection of Battle Royale, which is amazing, most of Gunnm and a manga called Dud's Hunt, it's a single book that is absolutely excellent.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
14.11.2009 - 01:12
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
I wanted to read Mushishi manga. I know they selected the best stories to put in the anime, but its such a beatiful world that Urushibara Yuki created, it is worth to know everything as possible.

Im a Berserk/Fullmetal Alchemist collector, buy inclusive the original versions.. simply addicted. Already completed Rurouni Kenshin, Dragon Ball and Saint Seiya. But I guess Ill have to sell them, need some money
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
14.11.2009 - 02:33
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Berserk is an excellent option, but yeah it's quite frustrating, i was hoping they explained more things.

@Uirapuru: selling saint seiya?? are u sure of that
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
15.11.2009 - 07:33
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Fhuesc on 13.11.2009 at 23:06

I started to read manga about 1 month ago. My first manga was Berserk, in order to remove the trauma that the unfinished anime left me, but after almost 400 issues, i found out that it's also unfinished . Either way, finished or unfinished i highly recommend Berserk.

The manga is unfinished but its not cancelled... so the story goes on.

@varda: I know... its such a proud to me have the complete collection in perfect state... but im opening a book store, and needing the money, this collection would worth a lot A dude already offered me 1000 R$, which is about 750$ Dollar by now (I guess ). A little welcome financial help...
----

----
16.11.2009 - 00:14
Wyrd
Written by nana.MD on 12.11.2009 at 04:11

Let's see...uhm i can recommend u a couple of romantic mangas but they have a little bit of comedy, slice of life stuff, id suggest u:

lovely complex (high school usual love problems, a little bit like toradora)
nodame cantabile (although this one has more music stuff, it takes place in a music academy)

Nice! Thank you very much. Im Going to have check both these titles next time I can find the time!
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
16.11.2009 - 03:10
Fhuesc
Written by Uirapuru on 15.11.2009 at 07:33

@varda: I know... its such a proud to me have the complete collection in perfect state... but im opening a book store, and needing the money, this collection would worth a lot A dude already offered me 1000 R$, which is about 750$ Dollar by now (I guess ). A little welcome financial help...

Yes there's still light at the end of the tunnel, but it's been a year since the last issue. Patience is not one of my virtues.
----
Until victory, always!
16.11.2009 - 03:18
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Fhuesc on 16.11.2009 at 03:10

Yes there's still light at the end of the tunnel, but it's been a year since the last issue. Patience is not one of my virtues.

A YEAR??!! FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

I did not know that... Im following the Brazillian releases, and its still a little far from the end... didnt know Keitaro Miura get lazy from nothing... -__-'

Same HxH tortuous wait...
----

----
16.11.2009 - 03:25
Fhuesc
Written by Uirapuru on 16.11.2009 at 03:18

I did not know that... Im following the Brazillian releases, and its still a little far from the end... didnt know Keitaro Miura get lazy from nothing... -__-'

Exactly FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! just as with Hunter X Hunter
----
Until victory, always!
16.11.2009 - 07:28
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Fhuesc on 16.11.2009 at 03:25

Or Shaman King
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
17.11.2009 - 20:56
nana.MD
Star-Queen

Waaah! that's alot of cash, i agree any financial help is well recieved hehe
Good luck with ur book store!!

@ Falconer : U are welcome
----
19.11.2009 - 22:06
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Daggon on 16.11.2009 at 07:28

Written by Fhuesc on 16.11.2009 at 03:25

Or Shaman King

Yeah. I forgot about Shaman King... man there are so many, whats the point in starting an amazing story if you are not gonna end it?
----

----
20.11.2009 - 07:38
Fhuesc
Written by Uirapuru on 19.11.2009 at 22:06

Yeah. I forgot about Shaman King... man there are so many, whats the point in starting an amazing story if you are not gonna end it?

Sometimes is better leave it unfinished than ending it wrong *cough*Star Wars, Matrix*cough*
----
Until victory, always!
20.11.2009 - 08:47
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Fhuesc on 20.11.2009 at 07:38

Written by Uirapuru on 19.11.2009 at 22:06

Sometimes is better leave it unfinished than ending it wrong *cough*Star Wars, Matrix*cough*

Nah, I think those two have the correct ending, but Shaman King, if I'm not mistaken, wasn't finished because the author preferred to dedicate more time for One Piece.
----
03.12.2009 - 07:54
nana.MD
Star-Queen
What about nana??? i was hoping somebody had some news about ai yazawa...her manga is on hold since jaugust because of an illness and i can't wait for the next volume...even though it's shōjo alot of guys are into it...do u boys really care about this and avoide those stories?? i wouldn't
----
04.12.2009 - 04:40
whatsacow
If you love Psychothrillers, check these out:
Eternal Sabbath, Death Note, Spiral, Monter, alive, King Of Thorns
Also check out: darker than black, ghost in the shell, The Ring: spiral, and cowboy bebop.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
04.12.2009 - 18:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Daggon on 20.11.2009 at 08:47

Nah, I think those two have the correct ending, but Shaman King, if I'm not mistaken, wasn't finished because the author preferred to dedicate more time for One Piece.

Now I want to kick the author right in the nuts because Shama King >>>> One Piece, everyday of the godamn week.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
05.12.2009 - 00:19
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by X-Ray Rod on 04.12.2009 at 18:53

Now I want to kick the author right in the nuts because Shama King >>>> One Piece, everyday of the godamn week.

Seconded
----
05.12.2009 - 01:53
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Daggon on 05.12.2009 at 00:19

Written by X-Ray Rod on 04.12.2009 at 18:53

Seconded

Fuck you guys OP FTW o/

Written by nana.MD on 03.12.2009 at 07:54

What about nana??? i was hoping somebody had some news about ai yazawa...her manga is on hold since jaugust because of an illness and i can't wait for the next volume...even though it's shōjo alot of guys are into it...do u boys really care about this and avoide those stories?? i wouldn't

Im not into shojo, I just dont get good recommendations. Not a huge fan of the draw style (the pointy chins, and the huge eyes), but with the right recommendations I may enjoy some
----

----
06.12.2009 - 15:30
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Uirapuru on 05.12.2009 at 01:53

Fuck you guys OP FTW o/

The history is not bad per se... But giving more time to that serie over Shaman King really sucks.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
28.12.2009 - 05:22
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
It has happened dudes! Chapter 291 of HunterXHunter is finally out!

Im not even gonna write anything (since the Spoiler Tag is still nonexistent)... but this is a great momento . I thought the chapter would only come out in January.
----

----
20.01.2010 - 05:51
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I recently read both Ghost in the Shell and Battle Angel Alita and enjoyed them both very much. The former was kind of complicated to follow but I enjoyed it quite a bit. The latter I only read the first volume of and I found it while not being totally character driven or engrossing was a good read nonetheless. I have also recently ordered the first volume of Akira released in English by Dark Horse from my library and am anticipating getting that.

I was wondering, does anyone have any further recommendations on this Cyperpunk/Sci-Fi type of Manga (or even comic for that matter)? It's definitely one of my favorite topics.
----
The force will be with you, always.