Metal Storm logo
Bang Your Head: The Rise And Fall Of Heavy Metal review

Reviewer:

Wow, when did heavy metal fall? Why was I not informed of this until now? Ok, at least they apologize for this grand falsehood inside the book, but let me just say pretty much everything else on the outside cover is a load of false advertisement.

Let us begin shall we? Before buying a book I will generally read the synopsis on the back, the line that stood out to me was "An epic history of every band and every performer that has proudly worn the heavy metal badge". Man, do I ever feel scammed, the line should have read "A dry compilation of media tabloid headlines of every performer to be part of KISS, Metallica, Led Zeppelin, or Black Sabbath", that would probably describe this childish piece of literature much more effectively. Judging by the line above you can probably guess what the book is like, its pretty much a summary of the media rumors that one can see on MTV every week, the disappointing part being that half the tabloid stories that make up this book aren't even all that entertaining. The painfully long section on KISS seemed to take up at least 2/5 of the book was possibly the most dry series of words I ever had the shame of laying my eyes on.

Maybe I'm being a little harsh; this book could be informative if you never knew that Ozzy once bit the head off a bat, or that Alice Cooper threw a live chicken into an audience, beginners stuff. Almost every tale in this book is as over-told as the ones previously listed. Not being a big literature fan in the first place I thought I'd be doing myself a favor and expanding my knowledge in a field that interests me, all I learned was what a boring band KISS actually was. I felt generally insulted by this book, as a metal-head, giving money to another supposed metal-head, to give him further knowledge on something, only to find out I probably knew more than this author. The closest thing we see to a reference of extreme metal is a sentence or two on Venom, then back to more info on Aerosmith. The only thing that saves this book from earning itself a solid 2/10 is the off chance that they are referring to the specific subgenre of metal known as heavy metal, but it seems very unlikely.

Disclaimer: If you have been into metal for longer than a month, and you passed grade 5 English class, you could write a better book.

Written by Doc G. | 26.03.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 51   Visited by: 159 users
26.03.2008 - 09:35
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Haha if the book wasn't entertaining your review was...and thank god I don't have to read this book now (not that I had planned too)
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
26.03.2008 - 09:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Although I have ONLY heard bad stories about this book I am still planning to get it just to have a laugh or to annoy the hell out of me.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.03.2008 - 09:54
Bararey
Winter is Coming
Elite
Seems like this book is a waste of time and space. Who wrote it?
----
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Ser Jorah Mormont
26.03.2008 - 09:55
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Bararey on 26.03.2008 at 09:54

Seems like this book is a waste of time and space. Who wrote it?

David Konow. Or I should say, David Konownothing.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
26.03.2008 - 10:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
btw check out the buyers' comments on Amazon here. They MUST be morons.
http://www.amazon.com/Bang-Your-Head-Heavy-Metal/dp/0609807323

Another atrocious book is:
Life On Planet Rock by Lonn Friend, that guy who was a journalist for that horrendous so-called metal mag called RIP has an ego the size of the galaxy. He even dares state that Metallica made it big because of himself and RIP. Apparently he forgets the fact that Metallica was already big in Europe (bigger than any hair and sleaze band whatsover) before they broke into the US market.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.03.2008 - 10:31
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.03.2008 at 10:22

btw check out the buyers' comments on Amazon here. They MUST be morons.
http://www.amazon.com/Bang-Your-Head-Heavy-Metal/dp/0609807323

Another atrocious book is:
Life On Planet Rock by Lonn Friend, that guy who was a journalist for that horrendous so-called metal mag called RIP has an ego the size of the galaxy. He even dares state that Metallica made it big because of himself and RIP. Apparently he forgets the fact that Metallica was already big in Europe (bigger than any hair and sleaze band whatsover) before they broke into the US market.

I actually didn't mind Life On Planet Rock. The main problem I had with that one was the fact he seemed to afraid to say anything bad about anyone. Kurt Cobain full on trashes him and all he can say is "He was messed up on drugs, so he was misunderstood". But the fact that this book cites 81 other books is ridiculous, it further proves my point on just a compilation of common knowledge rock n roll tabloid stories. 383 pages (excluding source notes and introduction) divided by 81 equals 4.73. Hmm, this guy cant write a solid 5 pages (averaged out) without having to go to another source, thats just great writing right there.
----
- George Carlin
02.04.2008 - 07:31
Nox Lux
codebreaker
Stop with all the commas, Dr. Rock - it gets distracting. Try using hyphens (or parentheses) like the ones I just used.
----
][{ ]|/ ][_ "][" -- ][3) ][_ /=|[ [( ][{ -- ][][][ |E[ "][" ]|= ][_

"Thoughts fall in season with the right stand, rake the land
This Autumn's early leafshed a recompense for Summer's wane."
~ Nox Lux
02.04.2008 - 07:34
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Nox Lux on 02.04.2008 at 07:31

Stop with all the commas, Dr. Rock - it gets distracting. Try using hyphens (or parentheses) like the ones I just used.

Thanks for the tip. I'm a big fan of the commas though, it really shows my speech pattern - a stop and go type thing. (enjoy that one?)
----
- George Carlin
02.04.2008 - 07:39
Nox Lux
codebreaker
Not really. You started a new sentence with an extension, a parenthesis and no capital letters.

Just kidding around, dude. I know it's only a comment on a forum, before you start thinking I'm an arsehole.
----
][{ ]|/ ][_ "][" -- ][3) ][_ /=|[ [( ][{ -- ][][][ |E[ "][" ]|= ][_

"Thoughts fall in season with the right stand, rake the land
This Autumn's early leafshed a recompense for Summer's wane."
~ Nox Lux
02.04.2008 - 08:11
tulkas
el parcero
"Disclaimer: If you have been into metal for longer than a month, and you passed grade 5 English class, you could write a better book."

well, from this review all i can say is that i'll definetly not read the book, haha. too bad that a good idea could be developed in such a bad way, as dr. rock says it does. btw, was the writer a metalhead? according to what the review says that is in the book, i wouldn't think so. anyone knows who wrote it?
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
02.04.2008 - 12:14
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by tulkas on 02.04.2008 at 08:11

"Disclaimer: If you have been into metal for longer than a month, and you passed grade 5 English class, you could write a better book."

well, from this review all i can say is that i'll definetly not read the book, haha. too bad that a good idea could be developed in such a bad way, as dr. rock says it does. btw, was the writer a metalhead? according to what the review says that is in the book, i wouldn't think so. anyone knows who wrote it?

David Konow, he also writes for Guitar World magazine. He probably does have a lot of knowledge in mainstream old school bands, other than Megadeth and Metallica he doesn't even touch thrash., but it seems he has no clue about anything outside of Headbangers Ball...definitely not the knowledge needed to write a book out of, let alone boast about it the way they do on the back cover.
----
- George Carlin
06.08.2008 - 02:00
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
there are only a few books that i'll swear to in terms of my metal literature, and this definitely isnt one of them.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
20.08.2008 - 14:32
5.T.4.L.k.E.R
*Googles the book*

OK i don't really need to or want to read that book after reading the original post above. i mean why the fuck would I need to read such bullshit???
----
...enter by the Mystical Gates of Reincarnation
27.09.2008 - 20:19
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Ok I won't read that kind of shit in my life hahaha, very hilarious Dr. Rock
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
15.11.2008 - 01:36
Metalbound7
The fall of Heavy Metal.......WTF!? its this some kind of joke? im sure my 3yo cousin is more Metalhead than the retarded poser that wrote that worthless piece of pusillanimous literature...
05.01.2009 - 00:38
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I have read the book, and it wasn't very good, the most damning flaw being that heavy metal never fell.
10.02.2009 - 09:49
chrislyles15
Account deleted
I agree with the your review completely. I hate that book with all of my heart. Not so much because of it's dry structure, but mostly because of the fact that it points potential metalheads in the wrong direction.
15.04.2009 - 02:17
Winterfog
Why would anyone write about "The fall of Heavy Metal"!! When did that happen
17.10.2009 - 12:02
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
That's a great book...........
17.10.2009 - 12:03
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by GT on 26.03.2008 at 09:35

Haha if the book wasn't entertaining your review was...and thank god I don't have to read this book now (not that I had planned too)

no that's a great book.friend.
18.10.2009 - 03:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Hermann Langke on 17.10.2009 at 12:03

Written by GT on 26.03.2008 at 09:35

no that's a great book.friend.

You mean to ssay tyou think this book is great? If so then you haven't been into metal for longer than a month (like said in the review)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.10.2009 - 14:45
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
That's rubbish.that book gave me an in-depth analysis of the bands included there.And i have been a Metal fan for the last 11 years buddy.:nogood:
18.10.2009 - 19:59
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Hermann Langke on 18.10.2009 at 14:45

That's rubbish.that book gave me an in-depth analysis of the bands included there.And i have been a Metal fan for the last 11 years buddy.:nogood:

I would like to know what the media outlets where you're from are like. All the so called "in-depth analysis" you're talking about I knew about before I got into metal, this book is merely a compilation of media tabloid headlines, thats it. I think Marcel can agree with me, and he's been into metal for longer than both of us combined.
----
- George Carlin
18.10.2009 - 20:07
DayFly
Written by Doc G. on 18.10.2009 at 19:59

I would like to know what the media outlets where you're from are like. All the so called "in-depth analysis" you're talking about I knew about before I got into metal, this book is merely a compilation of media tabloid headlines, thats it. I think Marcel can agree with me, and he's been into metal for longer than both of us combined.

Look at the kid's reviews and be lenient, for he doesn't know better.
19.10.2009 - 10:15
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by DayFly on 18.10.2009 at 20:07

Look at the kid's reviews and be lenient, for he doesn't know better.

His album votes speak for themselves...only 1 vote below an 8, he seems to like anything.
----
- George Carlin
19.10.2009 - 15:27
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps

Written by Hermann Langke on 18.10.2009 at 14:45

It is understandable.I am from India and that too from a remote part of the country.Still i discovered Metal when i was just 9 years old.now i am 20.got the point buddy?
19.10.2009 - 21:06
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I'm not your buddy, guy.

Ian Christe's "Sound of the Beast" (site here) was a pretty good breakdown of the history of metal and paid a decent amount of attention to bands outside the usual ones that get all the run.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
20.10.2009 - 00:57
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Hermann Langke on 19.10.2009 at 15:27

got the point buddy?

Actually no, you really haven't proved anything, just stated your age repeatedly.
----
- George Carlin
21.10.2009 - 12:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Hermann Langke on 21.10.2009 at 12:44

Written by Doc G. on 20.10.2009 at 00:57

got the point buddy?

Actually no, you really haven't proved anything, just stated your age repeatedly.

ok fine,buddy.you should better still write your own review.:thumbup:

Start making sense for fuck's sake, buddy.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.10.2009 - 13:02
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.10.2009 at 12:46

Written by Hermann Langke on 21.10.2009 at 12:44

Written by Doc G. on 20.10.2009 at 00:57

got the point buddy?

ok fine,buddy.you should better still write your own review.:thumbup:

Start making sense for fuck's sake, buddy.

Now this is getting a bit too far.You do not like it.fine.I like it.fine.:cool:

Hits total: 7858 | This month: 6