08. The Chosen Pessimist
09. Sober And Irrelevant
10. Condemned
11. Drenched In Fear
12. March To The Shore
13. Eraser [bonus]
14. Tilt [bonus]
15. Abnegation [bonus]

Over the past few years In Flames have been wandering down questionable paths as far as long-time fans are concerned, some abandoned the band completely and the others decided that the new In Flames isn't really all that bad after all, and stuck with them. "A Sense Of Purpose" is a shockingly low blow to the second group of people here as In Flames continue to push towards the twelve-year-old, black dyed fringe bearing individual market - and this time do it in a way that indefinitely is the straw that breaks the camel's back and will not be tolerated by long-running fans.

One month ago "The Mirror's Truth" EP although brandishing a very Korn-esque cover, showed a promising outlook with four heavier, faster and generally better songs. This however has shown to provoke false hope of a good album from the band. Song "The Mirror's Truth" kicks off the album in mediocre form and for about the first minute into "Disconnected" we have that higher tempo and intensity that is frankly one of the only things In Flames do well these days, but just as the once loyal fans of the band will after hearing this, the tempo and attraction the band had runs to the hills to never be seen again.

"I'm The Highway" has a slight kick in it, but generally "A Sense Of Purpose" is an album laden with mediocrity and annoyance. Guitar riffs sound as uninspired as uninspired gets, usually plodding along at some mind-numbingly dull tempo. Anders' vocals are as unique and distinguishable as they always have been, just with an extra edge of whine and angsty teenager thrown in there - lyrics fit the vocal style used, but that is like saying excrement is fitting for a toilet when the audience are hoping for an album of quality, intense modern metal. Both most laughable and representative of In Flames' direction is "The Chosen Pessimist" with its pretentious title, long duration, lyrics that are supposed to be deep and meaningful but come across as plastic and fake, and predictable structure turning up the heaviness towards the end.

So long-time fans will not be impressed with the latest offering of "A Sense Of Purpose", but the direction taken does expose the band even more to the mainstream popular rock and metal scenes. "A Sense Of Purpose" is a very polished album, produced immaculately and sounds very professional - it will be certain to pick up more followers but from a different area to before. Most tracks have melodies running throughout, there is no doubting that In Flames have that charm a band needs in order to acquire a vast following.

With an album of anguish and inner struggles "A Sense Of Purpose" takes on further the direction the band were already taking but just to an extra degree. It has what it takes to become a popular hit among the fringe-wearing community, but for the people who like their metal hard, fast, loud and real, this one is best avoided.

Written on 26.03.2008 by Member of Staff since 2006

Guest review by
WayTooManyCDs
Rating:
What a tragedy A Sense Of Purpose is; not because it's hopelessly awful, but because it's been unfairly lambasted for years. Unfortunately, there is no way to correct the damage already done or to change the minds of those who are still mourning the loss of the "Jester Race/Whoracle" era twenty years after the fact, but at least some just dues can finally be given.

Read more ››
published 10.05.2018 | Comments (17)

Comments page 3 / 5

Comments: 128   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 895 users
04.04.2008 - 14:33
Rating: 6
flamey
I dont understand why people bash this album. First of all, In Flames stopped making melodeath several years ago with RtR. Yet, this album has more melodic guitar riffs than all their last three albums.. but of course, you need to open your mind and THEN listen to it to hear these. I feel like people are determined to call it crap even before the album was out. So, those who like RtR and other albums but cant like these, I really dont understand, if you like the melodic side of In Flames, this is the most melodic album since Clayman. Just listen to I'm the Highway, Drenched in Fear, Alias etc.
Oh, if the problem is that this album is not methul anymore, well then, I hail thee almighty trve methuller, I am thy servant.
04.04.2008 - 17:34
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
I just read a review in the local newspaper, it got 4/5. And the reviewer wrote "In Flames will disappoint no-one with their new album..."
... ehrm... well, I have a friend that used to call In Flames her favourite band until yesterday. And I'm sure she's not the only one.
04.04.2008 - 17:43
Rating: 5
dimmu666
The review was right on the money. Anders is getting so self-indulgent and away from the In Flames roots that the new album is nothing more than a coaster.
04.04.2008 - 18:46
Rating: 2
Plaguebearer
Quote:
... ehrm... well, I have a friend that used to call In Flames her favourite band until yesterday. And I'm sure she's not the only one.

Your right, this album bumped In Flames from my favourite band too. I could enjoy all their music (to some degree) before this album. Its not that this album is bad, In Flames simply no longer plays Melodeth anymore. Upon hearing this album I lost all faith in what is and was everything In Flames could have been.
04.04.2008 - 18:48
Plaguebearer
I really don't want to be the one to do it. But I honestly think that its time that In Flames genre was changed again. This is not Death Metal, Gothenburg, or anything In Flames ever was
05.04.2008 - 01:21
clatrum
this band is very cool and i love the insane evolution here. i dont like the metalstorm review because the review is for the album and not for the band old style against the new. otherwise i realise that the black-death metal fans will disaprove this album, just because they cant make the bridge between music styles, and the evolution of a band music from death melodic to average-heavy-rock is quite a huge step to them to understand.
05.04.2008 - 06:31
Lethologica
Written by flamey on 04.04.2008 at 14:33

I dont understand why people bash this album. First of all, In Flames stopped making melodeath several years ago with RtR. Yet, this album has more melodic guitar riffs than all their last three albums.. but of course, you need to open your mind and THEN listen to it to hear these. I feel like people are determined to call it crap even before the album was out. So, those who like RtR and other albums but cant like these, I really dont understand, if you like the melodic side of In Flames, this is the most melodic album since Clayman. Just listen to I'm the Highway, Drenched in Fear, Alias etc.
Oh, if the problem is that this album is not methul anymore, well then, I hail thee almighty trve methuller, I am thy servant.

hey there! yes, this album might be more melodic than their last albums. I have no problem with the changes they've made the last years. I love Reroute to Remain, Soundtrack to your Escape, and I like also Come Clarity ( not as much as the others) . But this album just seemed so uninspiring. The only song that I really liked was Alias, and maybe some parts from The Chosen Pessimist. Other than that, it was a huge disappointment to me. Of course it is not about how true or how metal it is ( I'm not such a narrow minded person ^^ ) . I wouldn't even consider myself a metalhead. I listen to many other completely different things. So, as I mentioned 5-6 posts before, I agree with the reviewer and I think In Flames put out a bad and uninspiring album in every way (music+lyrics).
05.04.2008 - 14:25
Baz Anderson
Staff
exactly, like I have said before - In Flames' old style was never anything that interested me anyway, so I am not some scorned ex-fan. I listen to plenty of other kinds of music also - so the negativity does not come from any change of style.

this album is just uninspired, flat and boring whatever style you want to call it - it is as simple as that
05.04.2008 - 18:28
JeNoZ
They were mediocre at best pre-Clayman, however "Metal" does not get worse than In Flames post Clayman. After Come Clarity, you think "Could this be any shittier?", the answer: yup. 4.5 is a ridiculously high rating for severe horseshit!
----
05.04.2008 - 18:43
lucideyes
Account deleted
In Flames owns.
05.04.2008 - 19:35
KMR
Todays IF is not 90's IF - some people didn't release it yet, and keep bashing their stuff for being not so melodeath enough. I far from being so brutal to say it's a bad album, it's rather average album and a completly different story. If you don't like this, you can always pick some stuff like Dark Tranquility and enjoy what still can be classified as full proof metal.
----
Nothing is sacred.
05.04.2008 - 22:09
Colony
Account deleted
I completely agree with the review
06.04.2008 - 17:07
hefestus
Nice review
sad that they are playing shit like this
07.04.2008 - 23:28
peterjohnvernon
Account deleted
And to think they were part of the gothenberg scene, second only to At The Gates...
08.04.2008 - 06:06
Zeh
I bet that in the future they will do a Metallica style announcement as "well, we will do for the next album a return to the origins, doing a "Clayman-like" CD for out old and beloved fans"
----
Zeh
08.04.2008 - 16:26
Rating: 8
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.03.2008 at 20:43

I've heard it and it certainly isn't as bad as it is made out to be. The problem is everyone compares it to their earlier works when musically it has nothing to do with that AT ALL. When judged on its own merits, and if it had been released under another band name people would rate it around 7 I am 100% sure.

This is so true and I'm one of them, I'd probably really like Come Clarity if it wasn't for their older stuff. This album I threw shit at waaay before it was released and when I got it I was a little embarrassed, 'cuz I like it. A lot sometimes. I'd rate it a strong 7, still I can't get pass my love for old IF and it probably deserves an 8 from me.
----
09.04.2008 - 11:03
un/heart/ed
The Sufferer
baz anderson you are so cruel. this album is nothing less than a 7. chosen pessimist is a masterpiece, legend song
----
My only thrill alone in my own hell
09.04.2008 - 16:38
Taco_Thunder
Account deleted
Awesome review....

ps.... bring back the whoracle days
13.04.2008 - 00:32
Xxel
Account deleted
I don't know if i think that this sounds that much different from, say ''Come clarity''. It's just that the ''best'' song on this album sounds like the worst songs on their previous :/
13.04.2008 - 15:51
Stuart
MiseryKing
interesting review, not having actualy heard the album I can't make any judgement as to whether the negativity is warranted or not, but I find it incredibly difficult to believe that in flames can release an album worth a rating of 4.5. Its simply not possible, there is just so much truly horrendous music out there which deserves a rating higher than this. You even mention some positive points about the album in your review. I have a sense that this rating is more about personal taste. You seem to somehow associate this music with group of people you intensely dislike, as stated in the review, which is far too bias for a review of newly released album. Your reviews are usually fantastic but this review is simply not very good at all.
14.04.2008 - 17:20
Shadowcross
The Summoner
i haven't like much in flames since colony..
i liked come clarity but i doubt this will do it for me after hearing peoples reactions..
14.04.2008 - 22:14
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I hear the mirror's truth right now... It's not that bad...
the riff from the beginning is very good.
It's not good.. but not completely crap

and it's better than the previous one...
6,5 from me.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
16.04.2008 - 15:37
Taco_Thunder
Account deleted
Bring back the Clayman days
16.04.2008 - 17:30
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Herzebeth on 04.04.2008 at 10:15

I agree with the Review...

I saw it coming since their last albums I even reviewed one...but people started spitting on my knees then....

This is the right moment.. when you scream
"I told you so..."
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
17.04.2008 - 19:34
Mr_Satay
Account deleted
most of you guys are pathetic

its gone beyond the point of 'opinion' amongst you people, most of you bash in flames for the sake of it

ooo nooo they dont play fast melodic metal anymore

so?

there still a metal band

and the new album is absolutely brillient, all of in flames works are superb, my favorites by far are soundtrack to your escape and colony, but the new one is definitally another strong reliease. melodys galore, strong memorable choruses and Anders is as great as his always been.

Mind you, there are PLENTY of solos on the album too, alot reminiscent of old in flames.

but alot of you will miss that becuase you dont want to give the new in flames a chance, well your missing out. its ok to have an opinion and say you dont like something, but most of you just say you hate it because the next person is.

Shamefull.
23.04.2008 - 08:39
Chrome54
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.04.2008 at 19:34

its gone beyond the point of 'opinion' amongst you people, most of you bash in flames for the sake of it

so?

there still a metal band

and the new album is absolutely brillient, all of in flames works are superb, my favorites by far are soundtrack to your escape and colony, but the new one is definitally another strong reliease. melodys galore, strong memorable choruses and Anders is as great as his always been.

Mind you, there are PLENTY of solos on the album too, alot reminiscent of old in flames.

but alot of you will miss that becuase you dont want to give the new in flames a chance, well your missing out. its ok to have an opinion and say you dont like something, but most of you just say you hate it because the next person is.

Shamefull.

Having heard the album in its entirety, I simply cannot grasp how you can call this brilliant.

You say that In Flames are still a metal band. Good for them, but technically Atreyu and Avenged Sevenfold are metal bands too, so obviously not much can be surmised from this statement to evaluate the quality of what they put out.

You speak of memorable choruses. All I hear is the typical 'been there, done that' angry verse/clean chorus fluff that's been done a million times before by Killswitch Engage and their innumerable clones. Perhaps they are memorable, but not in the way you mean. I feel the compulsion to forceably remove their memory from my brain via electric drill.

You say Anders is as great as he's always been. On this point, I'm just going to go ahead and disagree outright. There was a time when his growls were the head of a formidable behemoth, it gave extra depth to music that already had depth in spades. Listening to this, all I'm hearing is the token high pitched screeching that teens these days just eat up, with the token clean sung choruse thrown in as an attempt to give the music the 'extra meaning' that the lyrics obviously cannot provide themselves. Have you listened to the lyrrics? They're downright childish. This fact would be forgivable if he sung with any sort of conviction and power, as proven by numerous power metal bands, but he doesn't, so no clemency is granted.

You speak of the solos, and say that they're reminiscent of old In Flames. Having listened to one of said new solos back to back with several of In Flames classic solos (December Flower, Wayfaerer, Food For The Gods, Jester Script Transfigured, Episode 666, Ordinary Story, Scorn, Zombie Inc... pretty much every solo from Colony actually, Satellites and Austronauts, Brush The Dust Away... basically, the solos from back when Jesper used to write the solos), I can objectively say this is not true. The old solos flow wonderfully inside their respective songs, and have a deft sense of harmony. The new ones just feel utterly tacked on, Bjorn Gelotte just doesn't have the magic touch that Jesper does, or at least did.

There are two reasons I can't truly be angry at this album. The first, obviously, is the band's shining back catalogue, who's spirit will never again see the light of day by the likes of this band, but instead lives on in Dark Tranquillity (as amazing as In Flames was, Dark Tranquillity's album 'Character' trumps all melodic death metal albums). Secondly, this album is downright soporific. It doesn't hold my attention long enough for me to be angry at it.

In the chorus for The Mirror's Truth, Anders sings "We aren't even trying." How true it is.
24.04.2008 - 20:00
Plaguebearer
Written by Guest on 17.04.2008 at 19:34

so?

there still a metal band

Look man, I have never insulted In Flames before this album, holding true to their abilites and musical talents, but this album is not brilliant. "melodies galore" doesn't mean the melodies are good, and the "memorable choruses" are memorable for all the wrong reasons.

From the perspective of someone simply listening to this CD, it is listenable, but when I look to In Flames, I am expecting an over the top, superb death metal album, not another medicore album with a lot of notes and ridiculous amount of whining and crying.
24.04.2008 - 20:23
Rating: 8
Warman
Erotic Stains
I do look forward to hear these songs live. In Flames are so much more powerful on the stage and if I digged the Come Clarity songs live... I'll probably love these!
----
29.04.2008 - 05:37
Sepulchre
Lord Hypnos
Supprisingly I actually liked this album. I like the older style much better, but I'm not going to lie to myself, I actually like this album. Way better than Come Clarity imo.
01.05.2008 - 21:42
Mikyz
Well I don't totally agree with the review. Even though In Flames are getting worse this album isn't "bad" it is just another style for me it's an album that is as good as Come Clarity so i would give a 7.5/10 ^^ and a 4.5/10 is really too low and i don't think In Flames can get that low :/. In Flames play another kind of song it is not as good as there old stuff but I've learned to appreciate it, you should try too
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.

Hits total: 26653 | This month: 28