Style: Death doom metal, Funeral doom metal
Release date: 2008

01. Thief Of Light
02. Death Diaries
03. Silencing The Moments
04. These Hallways Are Eternal
05. Fragments
06. One Reckless Sleep

In the world of Funeral Doom, Remembrance from France is beginning to become famous. The band composed of Matthieu Sachs and Carline Van Roos (both are members of Lethian Dreams) releases this year its second album through the label Firebox. Their first album "Frail Visions" got a lot of positive words but don't worry, "Silencing The Moments" should follow its steps, the band still plays good Doom Metal.

I suppose that you already know that you'll not listen to something fast here. Definitely Remembrance plays really slow Doom Metal but it's Funeral Doom so it's not surprising evidently. On the other hand even if "Silencing The Moments" is really slow it doesn't mean that you'll not find anything interesting here. At the opposite this release is probably the best of the combo and when it comes to talk about ambiances I can say, really, that we're in front of something "big". The six long songs (count 9 minutes in general except for "These Hallways Are Eternal"), all have something special in their compositions, this is always extremely dark and sad but also a bit atmospheric. I mean that the songs are able to give some special emotions, there is always something disturbing behind each composition. Definitely if you're looking for something sad and even gothic (and here I'm not talking about Him or Epica of course?), "Silencing The Moments" will be a must for you.

One more time I think that we can compare Remembrance to bands like Shape Of Despair but it's not so slow sometime and the Death aspect of Remembrance gives some originality to the combo. The production of the album is solid and the booklet is really good. Nothing to say against the lyrics which all are well written and in the pure spirit of Doom Metal (no, you'll not find anything about happy flowers here of course ). Really if you like the first Remembrance, you'll like "Silencing The Moments", this is maybe not really different that's right but it's good Funeral Doom nonetheless.

"Silencing The Moments" will not be surprising if you already know the first album of Remembrance but in the genre, this is a really good album of Funeral Doom and a good way to confirm all the hopes that we had for this band. The French scene is definitely better nowadays and in all the genres, Remembrance can be considered as the leader of the Doom French scene now and according to the quality of their new album, this is all but an usurpation.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 08.05.2008

Comments

Comments: 3   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 56 users
20.08.2008 - 15:52
great album, good production... not incredibily original, but solid gothic/funeral doom...
26.09.2008 - 14:15
REGRET.
good production:erm:
20.09.2010 - 12:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
A letdown after their really good debut.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 7759 | This month: 11