Metal Storm logo
Kiuas

08.07.2006 - 17:56
Alkhemyst

I didn´t find a topic for Kiuas yet. I created a thread for them in the old forum and it seems that it´s my job again.

Kiuas made their breakthrough to the metal scene with their awesome debut The Spirit of Ukko. They combine elements from various metal genres, power metal being the dominant one. I prefer to call them just melodic metal instead of just power metal. They are much heavier than your standard power metal band and elements from more extreme genres are obvious. Vocalist Ilja Jalkanen has very powerful voice and he doesn´t sound like a common power metal vocalist.

Now they have released their second album, named Reformation. In my opinion this new album is just as good as their debut. There aren´t any weak songs but few stand out above others. My favourites are Race with the Falcons, The New Chapter, Black Winged Goddess, Bleeding Strings and the title track Reformation. I had to name so many great songs because I just can´t leave any of those masterpieces without recognition. Reformation was bit harder to get into, but after many listens it has grown on me just like their debut did. Kiuas will have really bright future if they keep their high quality to their next albums.
----
Those words we have got
From the North´s furthest fields
From the heaths of Kalevala
08.07.2006 - 19:18
MetalSpider

A great finnish band. Spirit of Ukko is a great album. All of the songs on it are great...some more than others. I havent heard Reformation yet.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
20.09.2006 - 11:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by MetalSpider on 08.07.2006 at 19:18

A great finnish band. Spirit of Ukko is a great album. All of the songs on it are great...some more than others. I havent heard Reformation yet.

haha this album lil remaidns me of Kalmah and some other album mix, becuse of vocls and ewery thing there, but it sonly album what i had hera of them and something from Therion in album cover
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.09.2006 - 11:54
Slottet av Take
Account deleted
fantastic band, especially because its so different from any other bands. They have such a unique vocal style and every band member excells in what he does in the band, the guitaring especially is fantastic. Theres not much between "Spirit of Ukko" and "Reformation" if you ask me....the former probably followed more of a theme and had a few more stand out tracks. The new album is great as well though i love "Heart of the Serpent" its insanely good!
19.11.2006 - 04:06
ReckoningWinter

Yeah, this band is great, one of the best new Power Metal bands today.
23.11.2006 - 16:26
DruidicRitual
Account deleted
The Spirit Of Ukko is great, all these heathen lyrics and powerful drums. Yea Kiuas is great.
05.12.2006 - 09:28
Chamelion
Account deleted
i like their vocals the best, it is something amazing! i have never heard THIS kind of melodic heavy voice before. anyone can growl, but i dont think many would be able to imitate ilja. it's unmistakeable, i'm so proud for them!
05.12.2006 - 17:50
SirHooke

I don't know them, do they have a website?
05.12.2006 - 22:24
Keoren
Account deleted
Yes, they do.

http://www.kiuas.net/

I also like the vocals as they're something new and do in fact fit the music. If they come up with more albums like these, they're for sure going to be in the top tier of power metal.
12.12.2006 - 22:31
miss_d

Written by Alkhemyst on 08.07.2006 at 17:56

They are much heavier than your standard power metal band and elements from more extreme genres are obvious. Vocalist Ilja Jalkanen has very powerful voice and he doesn´t sound like a common power metal vocalist.

well, i'd call them real power metal, cos that's what power metal's supposed to be: powerful, massive! and this they are

yeah, i agree totally, ilja has a special unique style in singing (mixing vocal styles AND being capable of doing it right!), and live they are really worth to see too
13.12.2006 - 15:41
Obscure

What a band, what a band! One of the best bands from Finland nowadays.

Ilja has a nice rocksound in his voice, and it has developed quite a lot from their demotimes. It was more clean powerish before. I got known to the band a couple of years ago, before the release of The Spirit Of Ukko. Which was nice.

Very own style of music, I'd say. Melodic power metal choruses, blast beats, just a lil' bit of growling (which isn't that good tbh :I), fast thrash-kinda riffs, nice keyboardstuff.. everything! The first album is easier to listen to, as the music is more straightforward when comparing to Reformation.

..and on top of it all: wicked guitarplaying (listen to 'Heart of the Serpent'). I just can't understand that fellow, Mikko Salovaara. He rawks on stage, he knows everything you need to know about music.. Geez. I took some guitar lessons from him, which was also nice.

I just can't wait to see them live again!
23.12.2006 - 03:32
Talvi

This band is amazing, and one of my favorites. Instead of becoming a 'one more' band of the Power Metal genre, they have done a sound so fresh, powerfull and diverse, it could even redefine the genre...
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
20.06.2007 - 17:54
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
A quite original band, indeed. Great drumming and solos. The voice is simply amazing. "The Spitit Of Ukko" is amazing, and they have mastered to make an orginal PM band, an original PM FINISH band, which is very hard to find.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
20.06.2007 - 22:14
Nixx
Account deleted
I just realised I haven't posted here yet <.<
*blasphemi!*
One of my favourite bands atm, though I prefer "Reformation" before "Spirit of Ukko" (with that said, I've heard alot more on Re, than Spirit, so).

Gotta love their originaility
05.10.2007 - 14:54
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Kiuas entered Sonic Pump Studios to record their yet untitled third album. The new album will be recorded by Nino Laurenne (Thunderstone) and mixed by Mikko Karmila at Finnvox Studios in Helsinki, Finland.

Kiuas has released their studio-diary which you can read at this location.
05.10.2007 - 23:52
Nixx
Account deleted
Sweet!
Now.. *looks towards Soumi Finland and Shrieks* get your sorry asses to Norway!
04.04.2008 - 03:36
Colony
Account deleted
I absolutely LOVE this band. I've posted somewhere else saying they're one of the few Power Metal bands I can get into. Maybe, it's the mix of harsh vocals that just makes it so awesome. "Black Winged Goddess" and "Bleeding Strings" are just amazing off the new album.
13.05.2011 - 20:17
NyarlathoTim

I came here to figure out what the next Kiuas album I should get is. Seems like hands down Spirit of Ukko it is.
----
Burning Shadows - US Power Metal
Recently Vacated Graves - Zombie Metal
Isenmor - Folk Metal
27.10.2011 - 21:13
Milena
gloom cookie
Am I the only one who thinks Ilja sounds a bit like Mustaine?
----
7.0 means the album is good
03.11.2011 - 02:43
VargTheViking

My favourite album is The New Dark Age but the previous two were great! Whats the new album like, I haven't gotten around to listening to it yet.