03. No Forgiveness
04. Untitled
05. In Equinox
06. Sepulchral Sorrow
07. Syberia
08. Tundrha
09. Numb
10. Funeral Aurora

The Faroe Islands is not known for its exceptionally large metal scene. In fact, there's only one band that's remotely famous that hails from these islands, but that particular band is none of my concern today. Vhernen is subject of my concern today, and their mix of Black and Funeral Doom that's displayed on "The Funeral Era" will serve as the soundtrack of my birthday. Before you start congratulating me on how krieg and evil I am, let me get this review done*.

"The Funeral Era" is actually a compilation of the demo "Sepulchral Sorrows" and the EP "S.y.b.e.r.i.a.", but since virtually no one will have heard those two efforts we might as well regard it as a full-length. The fact that the production values are very similar on the tracks of either release helps too. Now that we're on the subject of production anyway, it is worth noting that the production is a very important aspect of this release. Without it, the monotone riffs and monotone drums and monotone vocals would simply be monotone riffs and monotone drums and monotone vocals. However, with the production used the instruments and vocals are changed into a huge wall of noise, a hypnotizing drum beat and utterly distorted, hushed whispers. Sounds a lot better, right?

There's more to the wall of noise than simply guitar though, Vhernen also employed an orchestral harp and electric cello in it's creation. Don't expect epic soaring solo's or tragically highlighted leads from either instrument though, as they are given a very modest place in the mixing and are only used to give the wall of noise some colour and it works wonderfully like this.

Negative points may be that this has been done before and better too, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying this particular release. It is a good effort and it does its job efficiently and convincingly. If you think a cross between Velvet Cacoon and Elysian Blaze sounds like a good thing, you will surely enjoy this. It won't stand the test of time, though.

* My sincere apologies. Attention-whore antics such as this should have no place in my supposedly 'professional' reviews. But there are simply times when one cannot resist. Especially with a deformed and crippled mind such as mine, immoral extravagances are inevitable. God knows I try to retain them, God knows I try... Freud would like me though. Now you may congratulate me.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 16.07.2009 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 20 users
20.07.2009 - 17:35
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Congratulations, Lucas
----
loves 小巫
26.07.2009 - 18:28
Inlé

The actual self-titled full length by this band is brilliant. I have SYBERIA which is ok but not the other demo, may try to get hold of this.

Hits total: 4544 | This month: 10