Metal Storm logo
Shattered Hope interview (12/2009)

With: Thanos (guitar) & George (drums)
Conducted by: Marcel Hubregtse, Lucas (in person)
Published: 12.12.2009

Band profile:

Shattered Hope

Shattered Hope is a young Greek death/doom band that have released two critically acclaimed demos up to now and are currently in the process of recording their debut full-length. On behalf of Metal Storm Lucas and Marcel had a chance to meet up with Thanos (guitars) and George (drums) just before the band were going to hit the stage at DelftDoom last October and talk about the band's history and upcoming release.

Metal Storm: Could you tell us something about the band's history?
Thanos: We formed back in July 2002. At the time we only played covers from bands we liked, such as, Anathema, Saturnus, Moonspell, My Dying Bride, of course, Mourning Beloveth. Then we had many line-up changes since it's difficult to play doom in Greece. It took until 2004 to complete the line-up.
George: That was the last time we changed some of our members. We continued that way for two years. One year ago our last bass player left.
Thanos: In 2005 we recorded our first demo, A View Of Grief it is called and it has five tracks. Then in 2007 we released our promo, our last promo, Promo 2007. And now we are recording our full-length debut album.

Metal Storm: How were the demos received by the press? Such as webzines and magazines?
George: Mostly it was very positive. Actually when we released our first demo in 2005 that was the first step, so you know what you can expect in a way. They talked about the production and the kind of songs. They really seemed to like the songs. Also we have no copies left so that is a good sign. Promo 2007 maybe more positive. We still have a couple of copies left of that one. But we pressed more copies of that one (laughs)
Metal Storm: So, how many were pressed for the first demo? And for Promo 2007?
Thanos: About 500. And for the latest one about 750 (the consensus reached between George and Thanos after a bit of deliberation. Ed.)

Metal Storm: When will the debut album be released?
George: We don't know yet because we want to find a label to release it. But we're on our way and believe it will be released in the middle of 2010.
Metal Storm: Will that be more or less like the Promo 2007, the same type of death/doom?
Thanos: Yes, the promo has two songs and one of those will be featured on the debut and rest will all be new songs. The sound has changed a bit, however, a bit more natural. A bit more professional. That is the way to, our music progresses, we as people, our characters.
Metal Storm: Will there be any guests playing along on the album?
Thanos: Yes, Jo, also known as Marquis, from Ataraxie has done some guest vocals on one track, "Vital Lie". And Thomas Jensen from Saturnus has done some guest vocals too.
Metal Storm: Have you already recorded some songs?
Thanos: Yes, the recordings are finished and we are currently in the mixing stage. In about a month from now the mixing will be finished and then we'll start the mastering.

Metal Storm: So you are currently also looking for a label to release it?
Shattered Hope: Yes, we are.
Metal Storm: Aren't there any suitable Greek labels?
George: There are some labels, but we're actually not their kind of sound. They're primarily black metal labels.
Thanos: Nobody I know, not any Greek band is thankful for the Greek labels. So, we don't want to risk it, we'll settle for a label from abroad. We are certain the production is very nice, very clean, very heavy. It should be very good for a doom metal record.
George: And actually this is the only thing that we can talk about. Only about the production. Not about the quality of the songs, the compositions. That is something to be left to the audience. Only the audience is allowed to criticize that. Not us, we're not supposed to do that.

Metal Storm: Isn't it an idea to release it independently, so, by yourselves, and then ask for example Lugga Music from Spain to distribute it? Like they do with Grieving Age, the Saudi Arabian band?
Thanos: That's wanted to tell you, that we have spoken with Adrian of Lugga Music and we'll work with them for a promo campaign. They have a lot of experience in the doom world. As you know Adrian used to play bass in Mourning Beloveth. And he is a great guy, he's a cool guy. He helps a lot of bands. He is the man for this.

Metal Storm: What are your influences as a band? Of course I hear Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride that sort of stuff, but what else?
George: Surely it was the first Candlemass (points towards the shirt he's wearing) albums although we playing a different sort of doom. The more traditional sort of doom. But also Mourning Beloveth, early Anathema. But also non-music related things like human relationships. You know this thing is transformative. If you get influenced like that music is an expression of feelings. You have to make a circle. You have to start from something and let it go. That's the way our music is mostly written, composed.
Metal Storm: You compose it all together? Or is it just one or two band members?
Thanos: The basis is composed by one or two persons and then we all check it and get some new riffs, throw away some others and go on from there.
George: We all come up with ideas, actually.
Thanos: Because, you know, maybe one or two persons write something but there's got to be communication between all. And we're with six, so... (laughs) But as you could guess it is a big process.

Metal Storm: Do you only play in Shattered Hope, or do you also play in other bands?
George: Yes, some of us have other projects. Me and the guitarist have a black metal project just for fun. I am also involved in electronic music. But doom metal is the biggest love.
Thanos: Shattered Hope is my main band. I formed this band and I have spent a lot of time with Shattered Hope and I haven't had time to do anything else. But I have hooked up with Geert from Faal, the bass player and Nils from Ophis, the drummer. We are starting a project together. When we find the time we will put some ideas down and record something. But it will be totally different from doom metal. Maybe, not maybe, for sure it will be a post rock sound, or something like that. Something more experimental.
Because if I write in a second doom band I have to separate it from what I write from Shattered Hope so it makes more sense to play something totally different.

Metal Storm: How is the doom scene in Greece? I know it's not big.
Thanos: There's us and Decemberance they are the oldest one. They're friends of us. They used to play funeral doom but now they play a different kind of mix, black death doom psychedelic parts. Also there is Hedon Cries who are more in a death metal way, but they have some doom ballads. There is another band called Crownest but they live far away. So they're not so active.
Metal Storm: So, I guess when you play live you usually play with other sorts of bands, such as death metal bands?
Thanos: Yes, sometimes we play with doom metal bands. But because there are so few we cannot always play with the same bands so we may play with a death metal band or something else.
Metal Storm: How does the audience react to that? Do they like that?
Thanos: Yes they like it because there is variety. We sometimes also organize gigs with bands from abroad. Like in January 2008 we organized a gig with Saturnus and in October 2008 we organized a gig with Mourning Beloveth, us, Hedon Cries, Ataraxie.

Metal Storm: Anything you guys want to add as your last words here for today?
Thanos & George: We want to thank you two for this interview and for coming down to see us play today. Hopefully you will enjoy our set. We also want to thank all the other bands playing today: the mighty Ahab, Mourning Dawn for helping us with the backline, Akelei, Stijn of Insania Events for organizing DelftDoom today. And, of course, Geert and his parents for having us over these couple of days.

Comments

Comments: 10   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 70 users
12.12.2009 - 17:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Enjoy
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.12.2009 - 18:09
ioannisk
This band is actually very good for the genre!!!! they will mark their territory for sure!!!!
12.12.2009 - 21:35
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Nice work, i am looking forward to their new album, as well as the reworked versions of the tracks on their '07 promo i reviewed.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
12.12.2009 - 21:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by BitterCOld on 12.12.2009 at 21:35

Nice work, i am looking forward to their new album, as well as the reworked versions of the tracks on their '07 promo i reviewed.

Good news on the upcoming full length...

I got this message from the band today:
Quote:

Next week we'll send our album for being mastered.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.12.2009 - 21:42
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.12.2009 at 21:39

Written by BitterCOld on 12.12.2009 at 21:35

Good news on the upcoming full length...

I got this message from the band today:
Quote:

Next week we'll send our album for being mastered.

that is indeed good news.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.12.2009 - 19:51
Earthbound
^^nice news!!

We will see them live with Draconian, 09/01.
----
there's no place I can be since I found serenity
10.01.2010 - 01:03
iaberis
Advice Troll
That's a great band indeed. Btw Marcel, I thought you were anti-greek
----
Bitch! Please
10.01.2010 - 12:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by iaberis on 10.01.2010 at 01:03

That's a great band indeed. Btw Marcel, I thought you were anti-greek

Only when it comes to football. If a band is good I don't care where they are from.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.01.2010 - 14:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
And as the news item stated Shattered Hope is now member of the Lugga Music family :-)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.02.2010 - 16:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
They forgot say about Orions Void :babger2;
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 6014 | This month: 4