Metal Storm logo
The 3rd And The Mortal

Original post

Posted by Damnated, 01.08.2006 - 20:28
There are bands that are so simple but also, so amazing. The 3rd And The Mortal is one of those bands. The music is very atmospheric, but sometimes it sounds like as if they were demented. Demented in the good sort of way. The vocals manage to send chills down my spine. Their best album IMO is In This Room, the songs are like puzzles, they fit perfectly next to each other. The druming is almost entirely improvised, this gives a very jazzy feaing to the music. So discuss them.
23.03.2008 - 09:24
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by Ivor on 22.03.2008 at 11:28

You could try listening to the following albums. The band evolved and their new singer is quite a talent. What actually happens is that band goes off in the experimental direction and there are songs that sound really crazy. Try listening to all the albums and let us know what you think of them. There's a different flavour to each one of them.

I.

Okay I have taken your advice and am going to start with their next full length, "Painting On Glass" and their '95 EP I have just started listening to "Painting On Glass" and it has such a foreboding opening track! And the second song resumes the somber mood I love so much. So, I will post in a little while to give a fuller opinion. I think it's silly to simply listen to every album at once, because I think this is a kind of band you have to live with mentally to take it all in...
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
23.03.2008 - 10:20
Ivor
Staff
Written by Jason W. on 23.03.2008 at 09:24

Okay I have taken your advice and am going to start with their next full length, "Painting On Glass" and their '95 EP I have just started listening to "Painting On Glass" and it has such a foreboding opening track! And the second song resumes the somber mood I love so much. So, I will post in a little while to give a fuller opinion. I think it's silly to simply listen to every album at once, because I think this is a kind of band you have to live with mentally to take it all in...

There's a big share of truth in your last sentence. Although I really liked "In This Room" album right off, I couldn't get hang of "Memoirs" for, like, two years, I think. It just didn't click. Then, one morning, it opened up and I found it an interesting peace to listen to. Sort of similar sensation that happened with Theatre of Tragedy "Musique" album. Cool stuff actually but takes time to appreciate. As for listening to all albums at once, it may not matter much. Depends how much you want to prepare yourself for what's to follow. Just accepting it as different kind of music is enough, I think, for getting a good listening experience.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on M
25.03.2008 - 22:39
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
I started with "Memoirs", but I really appreciate "Painting on Glass" now too.

I really wonder what's happening with this band right now.
It would be a shame if they split up...

There hasn't been happening anything on their website for years now.
16.12.2008 - 23:36
In the asylum
Account deleted
I have their First Ep"Sorrow"and"Tears Laid in Earth",both albums with Carren.I find them great pieces of music they really have so many emotions inside,but later i lost their tracks and as far as i know their music changed enough
17.12.2008 - 01:33
Richard
Elite
@Twilight: According to Metal Archives, they have indeed split up now...

@In the asylum: I guess you mean Kari, but yeah, those two first releases were very good and quite unique, particularly at the time. They have a certain mature, classy sound which is quite evocative and haunting, particularly a song like 'Death Hymn'.
----
19.12.2008 - 02:01
Lost Child
For those who love the subtle, ethereal soundscapes of "Painting on Glass", I would thoroughly recommend Flowing Tears' first two records, "Swansongs" and "Joy Parade", PARTICULARLY "Joy Parade". They were known as Flowing Tears & Withering Flowers back then

They are both incredibly beautiful records, depressing yet comforting atmospheric metal, with gothic tinges, quiet similar to "Painting on Glass", but probably a little easier to get into, there isn't the experimentation with instrumentation such as that which appears on "Painting on Glass".

Wow... my first post in about 2 years! How weird
20.12.2008 - 13:57
In the asylum
Account deleted
Richard you are right i meant Kari but you see i am not the best in English:P!These two albums i mentioned i find them unique i have not listened any other band playing this way,that strange feeling that compositions of the band made is really something that i gave not met again.I am curious to check their later albums but i am not sure because i have listened from friend that they changed a lot.should i?
20.12.2008 - 18:42
Ivor
Staff
Depends what you can handle. They go all the way off the charts experimenting in the later albums. Although I liked all of them, it took me well over a year or something to get the hang of "Memoirs." The musical greatness is still there, it's the genre and the way of expressing it that's changed.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on M
02.11.2009 - 23:21
cold103
This is one of the most underrated bands I've ever heard. The album "Painting on Glass" must be heard by everyone! I recommend that album to fans of Pain of Salvation (my #1 favorite band) in particular.
02.11.2009 - 23:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by cold103 on 02.11.2009 at 23:21

This is one of the most underrated bands I've ever heard. The album "Painting on Glass" must be heard by everyone! I recommend that album to fans of Pain of Salvation (my #1 favorite band) in particular.

thet album what you mentioned is moust overated album from deeply underlated bands if you get what I try to say, Tears Laid In Earth is masterpiece , same like Katatonia ''Brave Murrder Day'' and ''Dance Of December Souls'' but this band didnt go Kataonia way even changed to, still only album wht I love is Tears Laid In Earth
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.11.2009 - 23:43
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
So what about Memoirs? Also a masterpiece, if you ask me.

I don't see how a specific album of this underrated band can be overrated, this band is pretty unknown.
03.11.2009 - 00:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Twilight on 02.11.2009 at 23:43

I don't see how a specific album of this underrated band can be overrated, this band is pretty unknown.

I say those fiew who knows this band more likes newer albums more how first one, because firts is more doom how leitehr
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.11.2009 - 09:14
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Written by Bad English on 03.11.2009 at 00:33

Written by Twilight on 02.11.2009 at 23:43

I say those fiew who knows this band more likes newer albums more how first one, because firts is more doom how leitehr

Ah yes, I understand. But I guess those genre definitions don't really interest me that much.
For me it's not about the genre, but the music itself.