07. Shine Forever
08. Deadlands
09. Chasing Shadows
10. No Need To Cry
11. One Life [Japanese bonus]
12. Wannabees [7" bonus]
13. To The Metal [demo] [7" bonus]
+ DVD: The Making Of To The Metal [limited edition bonus]

Almost as if the band as a whole sustained some form of brain damage from some tragic and unforeseeable accident, Gamma Ray have not been themselves since 2001's great No World Order. The last two albums saw the band as mere shadows of themselves blatantly and obviously ripping off other bands, none more than Judas Priest.

A new year, a new decade, a new Gamma Ray. To The Metal is a huge step towards recovery from this hypothetical accident. Still, the band don't break any new barriers but the overall quality of songs is much higher than their previous two efforts. The songs flow better, there are more original ideas, the whole album seems less forced and more relaxed, almost a throw back to the band's glory times of the late nineties.

In general the first half of the album is the worst, ending with the criminal rip-off of Judas Priest's "Metal Gods" with the title track. The good news is that after the title track, the rest of the album is fantastic.

"All You Need To Know" is like stepping back in time with it's chorus featuring none other than Michael Kiske, and the last couple of "Shine Forever" and "Chasing Shadows" are Gamma Ray at the very best they have been for a decade. The band sound as if they are once again having fun with this half of the album, and it is a pleasure to hear coming from such a respected and influential band that just seemed to loose it with their last two studio albums.

To The Metal is still far from Gamma Ray at their tip top, and suspiciously comes from behind a slightly muffled production. This is without a doubt a leap in the right direction however, and reason to rejoice. By far the band's best effort since 2001, and a sign that the band still have some creative juices locked away. The first half of the album until the abomination of a title track can be effortlessly and without guilt put to one side. Gamma Ray can still deliver the magic in this day and age, and it can be found here on the second half of this otherwise variable but good album.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 5

Written on 04.02.2010 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 45   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 405 users
04.02.2010 - 20:15
Rating: 7
JÄY
Metal slave
I dont understand how any gamma ray fan could think land of the free II and majestic were bad....or even not as good as their older stuff, but i hear it over and over again...so it must just be me
So far, i think this isnt as good as the last 2, but time will tell ya know?
its still gamma ray and i love their style
04.02.2010 - 20:18
YoreLore
Have to disagree with some points on this review. Disregard Rise, Deadlands and No Need To Cry? In my opinion Rise is one of the best Gamma Ray songs in years, epic and full of energy. Deadlands isn't bad at all and No Need To Cry is probably their best and most original ballad...well its up there anyway. I definitely think Empathy and To The Metal are the worst tracks on the album.
----
"I'm rising in power through murdering rain
Stronger than Faith allows
Braver than heroes vows
...My head is bloody
but I am unbowed
I am power..."
04.02.2010 - 21:03
Rating: 8
Lawre
Although I agree with most of the review I don't think the first half is so horrible. Rise and Deadlands are according to my opinion the best songs they've made in a long time (you're right about the rest of the tracks though). Apart from that, Good review!
04.02.2010 - 21:13
Baz Anderson
Staff
I'm not saying the first half is horrible. Just that it can easily be passed when comparing it to the second half.
04.02.2010 - 21:23
Rating: 10
Zenzero
Zenzero
Written by JÄY on 04.02.2010 at 20:15

I dont understand how any gamma ray fan could think land of the free II and majestic were bad....or even not as good as their older stuff, but i hear it over and over again...so it must just be me

i love the album majestic! it's one of their best albums!
04.02.2010 - 22:20
YoreLore
I like all the Gamma Ray albums but its strange when people say they completely ripped off bands like Judas Priest with their last few albums but then praise No World Order which is the biggest "tribute" to bands like Judas Priest that the band have released. I still love all the albums though
----
Braver than heroes vows
...My head is bloody
but I am unbowed
I am power..."
04.02.2010 - 23:46
Galluskas
I also think that the previous two albums were better than this one. So far i just didn't like the title track but now when I heard the Judas Priest metal gods song I also think it's a rip off or an influence that they did not realize. But the album isn't that bad.
05.02.2010 - 00:05
YoreLore
Some tracks from the new album would fit very well on some of the old classics, I could see Shine Forever on an album like Somewhere Out In Space or Land of the Free. Rise would work on Somewhere Out In Space and Empathy sounds like it should be on No World Order
----
Braver than heroes vows
...My head is bloody
but I am unbowed
I am power..."
05.02.2010 - 02:57
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Galluskas on 04.02.2010 at 23:46

I also think that the previous two albums were better than this one. So far i just didn't like the title track but now when I heard the Judas Priest metal gods song I also think it's a rip off or an influence that they did not realize. But the album isn't that bad.

I don't think you realise how big the song "Metal Gods" is... Everyone knows that song... It's one of the ones Judas Priest will always perform live.
05.02.2010 - 07:29
Rating: 5
Nicko's Nose
7.5 is too much for just another generic power metal album. Oh well, atleast it doesn't rip Judas Priest and Iron Maiden off as much as LOTF II. To The Metal is absolutely pathetic though.
05.02.2010 - 13:10
Rating: 9
tomasmakina
I think that land of the free part. II, is one of the best albums of Gamma Ray. To the metal is also a good album, with a lot of good things, it's electric and powerfull, and has the colaboration of michael kiskhe, but has not the level of Power plant or land of the free II. In any case is a great album with chorch that you coldn't forget!
05.02.2010 - 16:58
YoreLore
Nickos Nose? As in Nose of Nicko from Lastfm? Your hatred of this album is apparant as you seem to bash it on as many websites as possible. Its not really generic when they are performing a style they moulded
----
Braver than heroes vows
...My head is bloody
but I am unbowed
I am power..."
06.02.2010 - 00:02
wrathchild
Staff
I've always found that only a few songs are really great on all Gamma Ray albums, except perhaps Somewhere Out In Space - their best IMO, and the second best would be Land Of The Free 1. It seems that this new one is no exception, unfortunately...
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
06.02.2010 - 04:55
silenius
Gluurg, thats all folks
06.02.2010 - 05:17
Iron Priest
:S Majestic is one of my favourite album. Most of the tracks are in my top 20.
06.02.2010 - 09:09
DoomGuard
Really? you didn't like the last 2? they were fantastic, I guess you had to be listening to them since their birth or something to not enjoy those two...

This sounds like an interesting album, very nice review and I'll have to check this out
06.02.2010 - 13:27
Rating: 6
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Pretty accurate I'd say. At least I agree with you on the parts regarding the album itself as I've never tried other gamma ray albums
----
loves 小巫
07.02.2010 - 03:18
YoreLore
The tracklist is wrong, unless its a downloaded version. The retail album has Rise as track 5 with Empathy as track 1. Though the collectors edition I have ordered has a completely different tracklist : http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41RDJ-ZcF6L._SS400_.jpg
----
Braver than heroes vows
...My head is bloody
but I am unbowed
I am power..."
07.02.2010 - 03:56
Metal Maiden
Megadead
I like the eye candy cover...never been much into gamma ray though...
07.02.2010 - 14:57
Legendary
Written by JÄY on 04.02.2010 at 20:15

Agreed
----
And I like the way your lips turned legendary.
And I like the way the sun will come to light.
07.02.2010 - 15:59
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Boring and bad...sorry, Gamma Ray...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

07.02.2010 - 18:37
Lord_Regnier
Written by Ellrohir on 07.02.2010 at 15:59

I found the samples I heard boring, indeed.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
07.02.2010 - 18:56
Overlord_PT
Its a good album but they have done better in the past (land of the free II)
07.02.2010 - 19:12
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Lord_Regnier on 07.02.2010 at 18:37

judging by the samples is unfair, but i have listened to whole album and now i am saying this...
----

07.02.2010 - 19:44
Lord_Regnier
Written by Ellrohir on 07.02.2010 at 19:12

Written by Lord_Regnier on 07.02.2010 at 18:37

judging by the samples is unfair, but i have listened to whole album and now i am saying this...

I also heard "Deadlands" in its integrality. It's only one song, of course, but I find it boring too.

Anyway, I disagree with this thought that "judging by samples is unfair".
Samples are enough for me to know what kind of music I can expect and if I'll like it or not. You don't need to listen to an album from start to end to know if it can please you or not when you're experienced enough with metal. It's not enough to be sure you should buy it or not but it's enough to know if you're interested in the material, so you want to invest more time checking it more deeply.
In this case, I am not.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
07.02.2010 - 21:58
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I know what "kind of music" should i expect from Gamma Ray even without listening to any samples...the question is, how it will sound in final composition...and this is where Gamma Ray failed this time...at least for now
----

09.02.2010 - 00:04
Battery
I disagree with the review, I liked this album a lot, as I have liked the other albums since 2001. Up the rays!
09.02.2010 - 17:34
Pap
I still remember the time that Land of the free was released. After their first 3 albums that was nothing more than moderate efforts to compose melodic metal music they managed to make history. Land of the free could be easily considered as the best pure power metal album of the 90s. Their next album Somewhere out in space was truly good without of course touching the level of Land of the free. When i llistened to Power Plant i thought that we had to do with a good power album with nothing to add. From that point to me Gamma Ray could be easily described as predictable and self-copied. Even worse i totally agree with the comment of the reviewer that they had turned out to be in one way bad clones of Judas Priest. Their new album is decent with some interesting melodies scattered here and there but still i can't find something attractive.If you are young enough and you didn't have the time to explore great power metal albums or anaware of Gamma Ray 's material you might find this album interesting as for the others i think that they will get my point.
09.02.2010 - 18:34
Rating: 5
Nicko's Nose
Written by YoreLore on 05.02.2010 at 16:58

Nickos Nose? As in Nose of Nicko from Lastfm? Your hatred of this album is apparant as you seem to bash it on as many websites as possible. Its not really generic when they are performing a style they moulded

I gave it 5/10. How is that hatred? and how is stating my opinion on different sites a sign of hatred? I'm not going to say that I like it on a site and that I don't like it on another, right? It is unoriginal when the style that they "moulded" consist of Iron Maiden + Judas Priest + Helloween + Accept. Sure, every band has its influences, but there's a diffence between having influences in your sound and sounding exactly like other bands. There's a difference between having influences in your sound and having riffs/melodies that sound exactly like riffs/melodies from other bands. Cool for you if you can't realize that I guess.
10.02.2010 - 06:30
Baz Anderson
Staff
Haha, you see where I come from calling the title track an abomination then. It is bad.
The last two tracks are the only reason to get this album. And "All You Need To Know" I guess.

Hits total: 13489 | This month: 23