06. Black Widow
07. Wrath Within
08. Children Of Bodom
09. Downfall
10. No Commands [Stone cover] [2008 re-release bonus]
11. Aces High [Iron Maiden cover] [2008 re-release bonus]

Top 20 albums of 1999: 16

Additional info
Recorded and produced by Anssi Kippo at Astia Studio in December 1998 – January 1999.
Mixed by Mikko Karmila at Finnvox studios, Helsinki.
Mastered by Mika Jussila at Finnvox studios, Helsinki.

Artwork by Graham French.
Design and layout by Apurator.

Guest review by
Arian Totalis
Rating:
From now on we are enemies, you and I.
What a great opening statement to a great album. Hatebreeder is Children Of Bodom's second album, and was released two years after their debut release, "Something Wild." However, Hatebreeder is considered to be by many a Children Of Bodom fan their best work. That is because it is riddled with Neo-classical passages, great guitar and keyboard melodies, flawless technique and outstanding musicianship. I have no idea why this album is called Hatebreeder, besides it being the title track, because I love it, and it certainly breeds no hatred within me.

Read more ››
published 24.07.2007 | Comments (23)

A classic album from one of the most defining Finnish bands, with impressive guitar work. It inspired countless musicians and made the genre popular along with 2000's Follow The Reaper.

Fast, direct, dynamic, angry and expressive. A distinctive sound, a unique style, and a huge influence.

R.I.P. Alexi Laiho (1979-2020)

Dream Taster's picks | More picks ››

Found in 65 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 27   Visited by: 1661 users
26.02.2010 - 02:40
Rating: 8
Novas

Their best album A major success from their debut "Something Wild", which i think is their third best behind "Follow the Reaper". They need to go back down this road & sing like he did on this album. He sounds more screaming then screeching
03.03.2010 - 19:46
Reza
Account deleted
The best Children Of Bodom album! I enjoyed it too much.
04.04.2010 - 07:45
Rating: 10
thewall30

I jizzed my pants... enough said...
----
26.06.2011 - 05:22
Soulhole

CoB before they got...GAY! 10/10
04.08.2011 - 17:03
aann33ss

Awesome album. Great shredding Neo-Classical stuff. "Silent Night Bodom Night" my fav track.:cool:
25.11.2011 - 19:30
Rating: 6
Regolith

Maybe you've got to be a guitarist to really appreciate this one. Or a music theory dude. But from a drummer's standpoint the whole album is an excersise in triplets - which get old fast - leading the the whole thing to sound the same most of the way through.

However, the overall the perfomance (technique) is excellent, I will say that. Also, the harpsichord is a great touch.
25.11.2011 - 20:45
Rating: 5
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I don't like it or appreciate it. But there was definitely a time when I did.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.01.2012 - 03:11
Rating: 9
Grody2themax

Written by Regolith on 25.11.2011 at 19:30

Maybe you've got to be a guitarist to really appreciate this one. Or a music theory dude. But from a drummer's standpoint the whole album is an excersise in triplets - which get old fast - leading the the whole thing to sound the same most of the way through.

I'm not a huge into music theory, but the guitar leads aren't all that amazing from a musical standpoint. When I first heard the album I was blown away though. And yea, the rhythm is pretty similar throughout the whole album. But triplets and 3/4 in metal can be catchy as hell, which a lot of the reason this album is so popular...as well as having an extraordinary keyboard player.
01.03.2012 - 20:58
Korah

The best by Bodom!
----
Don't cry for my English
04.03.2012 - 10:29
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Written by Grody2themax on 14.01.2012 at 03:11

the guitar leads aren't all that amazing from a musical standpoint.

......really..
i dont think you know much about music then. Alexi is called a Virtuoso for a reason.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
26.03.2012 - 23:54
JoshCantor

This is one of my top ten metal albums of all time.
Nuff said.
21.06.2012 - 16:45
musicalkaratekid

After many years of deciding, I think this to be the band's defining album. Laiho's vocals are crisp and gut-wrenchingly aggressive, and the guitar work works in a similar way, never seeming to overstep the mark set by the other instruments. I also love how the symphonic interludes are used here, they furnish the record to make it sound much more refined than the band's debut.
03.04.2013 - 19:26
Metropolis_Dream
Account deleted
Wonderful album, love the song compositions in it. "Bed of Razors", "Hatebreeder" and "Towards Dead End" are just amazing.
24.07.2013 - 11:23
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I always found it funny how no-one gets the obvious Manowar references in Warheart
19.03.2014 - 06:42
mikeprado30

A better production and great songs, made this one another great album.
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
06.11.2014 - 03:36
TauSigmaNova

Great production, aggression, melody, and as a guitarist I love his use of fluttering with the Floyd Rose. Wish the Rhythm guitar was higher in the mix because it gets overtaken by the drums, but it's awesome. Love the keyboard/harpsichord too. Definitely amazing.
20.01.2015 - 19:19
Rating: 7
Ruchesko

Patchy.
25.07.2018 - 01:55
Furiator

To me, it's a melodic cornerstone masterpiece of an album. Every fucking part of this album is not just good, but over-the-top awesome. The ONLY thing I may point to as worse is some parts of Silent Night, Bodom Night, except the solo (which is awesome and makes it a worthy song).
I really feel like it's underappreciated. I don't know if it's just me, but I don't really get the Hatebreeder vs Follow the Reaper debate. And trust me, I love FtR, but this... This is just a level beyond.
My second "best ever" album
Fucking go check it out.
13.09.2019 - 13:48
Metal Rasputin

Their magnum opus and masterpiece of its kind. Later COB releases aren't too bad either, but they're are nowhere near as ecstatic and flawless as this.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
01.05.2020 - 16:32
Atrus

Coming back to this album after some years... and it's amazing! A masterpiece indeed! Such energy!
05.01.2021 - 05:42
sbgmetal

I remember having my little mind blown way back in 2006 when i heard this album in highschool
05.01.2021 - 06:01
Rating: 5
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by sbgmetal on 05.01.2021 at 05:42

I remember having my little mind blown way back in 2006 when i heard this album in highschool

My experience is pretty similar. I was in 10th grade in 2006 when I first heard of them through a friend I made because he liked a Lamb Of God hoodie I was wearing. Same guy introduced me to Amon Amarth as well.

When I was 18 I started setting aside money from my job at a book store to save up and finally buy some of the albums I'd learned about through friends/Metal Storm. This was one of the first albums I purchased (along with Something Wild).

Seems like a lifetime ago and so much has changed since then but I still remember playing the shit out of these early CoB albums.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.01.2021 - 03:31
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
Everyone's opinion on Children of Bodom:

When everyone revisits this album following Alexi's tragic passing, realising how much of an incredible take of melodic black metal they accidentally reinvented from Dissection etc, upon not hearing this for as long as almost when they first picked it up.:
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

10.01.2021 - 03:12
JavierPaper

Very good album!
05.08.2022 - 16:18
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
There was a time in my life where I listened to this non-stop. I can still hum half of the guitar leads 15 years later.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
09.10.2023 - 04:05
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Just finished listening to Storm Of The Light’s Bane. One of the first things I thought about was how it influenced Children Of Bodom, especially the drumming.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
26.01.2024 - 15:19
nonZero

My favourite of the albums of their's I've heard. There is some fantastic guitar work on this even if the songwriting is a bit messy in places.

9.1/10 for me - 'Warheart', 'Silent Night, Bodom Night', 'Bed of Razors' and 'Downfall' are the standout tracks. 'Hatebreeder' and 'Towards Dead End' are both also great.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)

Hits total: 26880 | This month: 101