02. Hacked In The Back Dumped In A Sack
03. Fuck Your Arse With Broken Glass
04. Only Tools And Corpses
05. Her Gash I Did Slash
06. Can't Fit Her Limbs In The Fridge
07. Village People Of The Damned
08. Masticated By The Spasticated
09. To Catch A Killer

Goregrind and brutal death are two genres that are full of mediocre, flat out boring and unskilled bands. Many of them seem to be identical and can't be told apart. All the same formula recycled over and over. The closest these bands will get to achieving recognition in the metal scene will be in Encyclopaedia Metallum or by splatter entertainment freaks at MySpace. However, I cannot say the same for Gorerotted and their 2003 album Only Tools and Corpses.

No, these guys certainly know how to play their instruments, and they have that fine sense of humor! They don't take themselves seriously like those B gore movie grind/death metal bands. First off, we have the great dual vocal combination of Goreskin (the low guttural vocals) and Mr. Gore's shrieked/screamed vocals (however, do note that they make take some time to get used to them). Fluffly Offalstench and Robin Pants are a decent guitar team as well, you can find plenty of bombastic distorted chugging, solos, riffs and even a few good breakdowns here. Junky Jon's work behind the skins is great too. Besides the typical blast beats, you'll hear some other complex drum patterns (yes, that includes the cymbal noise). The Wilson's bass is in here too, sounding a bit sinister at times. He also does backing vocals.

Highlight tracks here are "Zombie Graveyard Rape Bonanza" (featuring that comedy-horror voice at the beginning and at the end, and for just being a good song), the title track "Only Tools and Corpses" (a pun on the popular British sitcom Only Fools and Horses, also well uses the aforementioned dual vocal style and in a few parts explodes into some fine bombastic noise), "Village People of the Damned" (features some good instrumental work), "Can't Fit Her Limbs in the Fridge" (ever wondered what Leatherface and his family would do if they had no more room to store the meat and bones of their victims?), "Masticated By the Spasticated" (great riffs and that gurgle-squealing vocal part) and "To Catch a Killer" (a serial sing-a-long, it tells about six serial killers in a first person narrative aspect, some good instrumental parts and dual vocals go well together here). Rest is not as noteworthy, but still enjoyable.

In 2008, the band changed their name to The Rotted and shifted to a more regular death metal approach. For me, their work as Gorerotted will always be the best, especially Only Tools and Corpses. Don't have it? What are you waiting for? Brutal death fans should have this gorefest with a comedic vibe in their collection.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by vezzy | 21.07.2010

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 41 users
21.07.2010 - 20:53
Baz Anderson

I think you've slightly over-analysed the album, for example my favourite tracks are different to yours.

Still, this is a magnificent brutal death album.
21.07.2010 - 21:13
Rating: 8
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Baz Anderson on 21.07.2010 at 20:53

I think you've slightly over-analysed the album, for example my favourite tracks are different to yours.

Still, this is a magnificent brutal death album.

Over-analyzed? What exactly do you mean by that? As in, paying too much attention to minor details...?
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
21.07.2010 - 21:21
Baz Anderson

Written by vezzy on 21.07.2010 at 21:13

Over-analyzed? What exactly do you mean by that? As in, paying too much attention to minor details...?

Yeh, too much literal description, too much attention to specific tracks.
This is a short, sharp, to-the-point album - so it would be nice if the review matched.
21.07.2010 - 21:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Mmm, I actually think this is a good review and VezzzyR didn't over-analyze it. Nice short descriptions of some of the songs. Just what I want in this case.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.07.2010 - 04:01
Richard

Yeah, I agree with Marcel that it's a good review. Personally I'm not so much into the 'humorous gore' thing, but still, it's fair enough to give such an album a decent review with attention to detail.

Also, it's cool that you (the reviewer) referred to the pun in the album title.. Only Fools and Horses was a great programme, good to know it's been heard of in Bulgaria!
----
22.07.2010 - 10:06
Rating: 8
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Richard on 22.07.2010 at 04:01

Yeah, I agree with Marcel that it's a good review. Personally I'm not so much into the 'humorous gore' thing, but still, it's fair enough to give such an album a decent review with attention to detail.

Also, it's cool that you (the reviewer) referred to the pun in the album title.. Only Fools and Horses was a great programme, good to know it's been heard of in Bulgaria!

Actually, I'll admit it. The only reason I knew of "Only Fools and Horses" is because I looked up the album and read it was a pun. I don't think they air it in Bulgaria.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
22.07.2010 - 11:48
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
It's been many years since I listened to this album but it's a hugely fun little number. I still like their 'The Rotted' stuff, whether or not it's better this is debatable. Probably not though. Great live too, saw them with Cryptopsy who they ran rings around.
07.09.2010 - 22:20
Meller
Sleazy Rider
Good to see that there's some well earned respect towards this little gem. Still remember this as a pleasant surprise in it's genre. The more serious Gorerotted / The Rotted hasn't kicked in for me that much, though it's not bad at all. Still miss the vocal works of the first two full-length, this one and it's predecessor.
----
"Haloo? ...Mulla on sellainen tunne, ett' mä olen surmannut miehen."
07.09.2010 - 23:31
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Lmao! I was thinking this was a band Ive never heard of, but it's in actual fact, Gorerotted under a different name. lol I once saw them live supporting Cryptopsy!

Anyways, this album sounds like it might be pretty good, so I'll give it a go. xD
07.09.2010 - 23:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 07.09.2010 at 23:31

lol I once saw them live supporting Cryptopsy!

Was that about 4 years ago with Celtic Frost headlining in London? O.o
07.09.2010 - 23:40
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 07.09.2010 at 23:34
Was that about 4 years ago with Celtic Frost headlining? O.o

Nope, Cryptopsy was the headliner. hehee Ive just been flicking through my old concert tickets, and realised that I've actually seen Gorerotted live TWICE. The 1st time was actually 2 months before the Cryptopsy gig, supporting Obituary. Both gigs were in 2006. Actually, thinking back, if I remember rightly they're a Scottish band. They made jokes inbetween songs, and the accent was definitely Scottish. xD
07.09.2010 - 23:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 07.09.2010 at 23:40

Written by Guest on 07.09.2010 at 23:34
Was that about 4 years ago with Celtic Frost headlining? O.o

Nope, Cryptopsy was the headliner. hehee Ive just been flicking through my old concert tickets, and realised that I've actually seen Gorerotted live TWICE. The 1st time was actually 2 months before the Cryptopsy gig, supporting Obituary. Both gigs were in 2006. Actually, thinking back, if I remember rightly they're a Scottish band. They made jokes inbetween songs, and the accent was definitely Scottish. xD

Lol you sure? I vaguely remember thinking of them having a brummie or mancunian, or possibly even scouse accent =P either way it was a strong and amusing accent for such a band.
07.09.2010 - 23:54
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 07.09.2010 at 23:47
Lol you sure? I vaguely remember thinking of them having a brummie or mancunian, or possibly even scouse accent =P either way it was a strong and amusing accent for such a band.

Im not sure, no. The accents were very strong, and I remember them making jokes inbetween every song. It was kinda weird, them playing these very brutal songs, and then acting really silly afterwards. lol xD

Hits total: 3216 | This month: 8