02. Storm Is Coming
03. Haul
04. 596
05. Resignaatio
06. Of Enlightenment And Righteousness Pt II

Black metal
Finland
Ahdistuksen Aihio Productions

Jumalhämärä is an extremely... well, extreme black metal band from Finland. So extreme they don't have so much as an official MySpace page. So extreme that, in their 14 years of headbanging, they have released only one full-length studio album. In case you were wondering, this is it.

After treading the path of a true underground black metal outfit (releasing demo tapes, a live album and some mini-CDs), Jumalhämärä are ready to take a stab at the genre's heavyweights, perhaps first getting a head start by overtaking countrymates Horna and Sargeist.

The album begins with an incredibly hazy guitar intro, then unleashes a no-frills, by-the-numbers black metal assault before calming down about halfway through "A Ballad", carrying the listener off into apocalyptic dreamlike sequences for essentially the remainder of the album. This is where the band really shines as a unit - when they slow things down, access their melodic side, and give in to their intrinsic jazzy progression. While not overly experimental (and therefore, not overly pretentious), there are definitely elements of surrealism, thanks to some wonderfully produced keyboard effects and somber vocal passages.

Fortunately Resignaatio is drenched in this imaginative nature, swaying from utter barbaric minimalism to poignant mollification, similar in a way to most Deathspell Omega works. The differing drum techniques (despite routine blastbeat abuse), utilization of droning choirs, and odd timing signatures makes Resignaatio a welcome addition to the Finnish black metal family. Undoubtedly unappealing to die-hard tr00 crusaders, Jumalhämärä still have what it takes to attract most black metal fans, possibly even acquiring fans of various extreme atmospheric and melodic genres in the process.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written on 05.09.2010 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 150 users
05.09.2010 - 12:05
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Really? Woah. I once reviewed one of their EP's and absolutely hated it. I can't wait to hear this one, if it really is an '8' then props to them for growing so much.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
05.09.2010 - 12:07
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 05.09.2010 at 12:05

Really? Woah. I once reviewed one of their EP's and absolutely hated it. I can't wait to hear this one, if it really is an '8' then props to them for growing so much.

I actually really liked that EP at least I think it was that one. Very strange and unusual black metal.
05.09.2010 - 12:38
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Guest on 05.09.2010 at 12:07

Written by Lucas on 05.09.2010 at 12:05

I actually really liked that EP at least I think it was that one. Very strange and unusual black metal.

Heh, really? I heard a lot of unusual ideas in that one, but in the end it turned out such a mess that I'd rather listen to .... ew ... Dark Funeral than that EP.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
05.09.2010 - 12:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 05.09.2010 at 12:38

I'd rather listen to .... ew ... Dark Funeral than that EP.

Talk about kicking a band while it's down!
06.09.2010 - 06:03
Got Mayhem?

This sounds like something I would love, based on the description given in this very well written review of course
----
26.09.2010 - 15:07
Bloeddorst

I'm about to review this CD as well. I like it as well!
05.05.2014 - 02:19
Rating: 7
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
The description of this youtube video sounds familiar =P
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
08.05.2014 - 07:04
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Karlabos on 05.05.2014 at 02:19
The description of this youtube video sounds familiar =P

I feel like I've seen those exact words somewhere before...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."

Hits total: 6169 | This month: 11