04. Pendulous Fall
05. Hunter's Season
06. Karma
07. Forever
08. March Of Mephisto

[Super Limited Collector's Edition Bonus 7" Vinyl]
01. Rule The World [Live - Wacken]
02. Thespian Drama

Kamelot, at least in my eyes, has always been a band that sought their own path through the world of metal. The most fitting description of their sound is, no matter how I hate to admit it, power metal. Not the cheesiest, happiest German type, but power metal nevertheless. What made it more distinguished than most of the other power bands were Thomas Youngblood's distinctive guitar style, clever use of keyboards and orchestrations, and, above everything else, Roy Khan's vocals - so unlike any other metal singer, so non-metal so to speak. These three essential elements carried Kamelot's music through almost 20 years of their career, which has been on the rise all that time. Being quite a prolific band, they managed to deliver 9 full length releases, whose quality was constantly satisfactory, with occasional hints at excellence (Epica, Ghost Opera). Some progressive and symphonic elements crept into Kamelot's music in the meantime, making it richer, more textured and ambitious.

Alas my friends, not anymore. Poetry for the Poisoned is a letdown. The courage that Kamelot had to implement new elements into the fossilized body of power metal was enough for one brave, enjoyable song, "The Great Pandemonium." Electronic beginning, growling in the background, dense drumming that almost turns into blastbeats at the end. If it wasn't for the vocalist, it'd be hard to recognize Kamelot. The song is tight, to the point, and it genuinely hooked me up for the rest of the album. Bravo gentlemen, you're expanding your sound!

Too bad you don't know which direction you want to take your expansion. "If Tomorrow Came" is a typical power metal number, "The Zodiac" is a boring, theatrical exercise in role-playing, "Necropolis" balances on the edge of some kind of shy, half-hearted industrial rock. An honorable mention should be made about the terrible "House On A Hill." A few more songs like this and Kamelot will become new kings of sickeningly sweet cheese called power metal ballad. When I heard the verse "Cry me a river," I literally fell off my couch. Seriously, Michael Bolton meets Whitney Houston. It's scarier than "The Shining"! The title track, an ambitious four-part opus, doesn't save the day. It seems to go nowhere and everywhere at the same time. As a result, my finger hits the "STOP" button.

I can understand why the band wants to play a bit differently after 19 years of existence. But I was kind of hoping that they would figure it out during those 3 years that passed since their previous release. Apparently they had so many ideas for the new album that they couldn't make up their minds, so they crammed every idea they had into those 11 songs. The result is dubious. It'll probably scare off many old fans (like me) and won't bring too many new ones. Fanboys will be delighted, I'm sure, but they'd be delighted even if Khan started to fart in a melodic way. No offense, but this is just one inch over crap.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 7
Production: 7

Written on 18.09.2010 by Writes overly honest and totally subjective reviews when fancy strikes him. Which is not often. Which is probably good, all things considered.

Guest review by
ponderer
Rating:
Brilliant. This cd will probably be totally misinterpreted by many, but after listening to it enough it finally dawned on me that Poetry for the Poisoned is just an evolutionary step of Kamelot's musical genius. It's nice to see this band evolving and growing from their power metal roots into something which appeals more to the musically inclined as opposed to serving up the same driving beats and power chords cd after cd. Welcome to the world of progressive metal.

Read more ››
published 12.12.2010 | Comments (22)

Guest review by
Pazu
Rating:
Three long years fans had to wait for an all new full-length studio album, and here it finally is. So what's the deal on Poetry For The Poisoned? In a word - great, although not as great as expected. Kamelot is one of those bands that kept improving from album to album until they reached their zenith with the incredible The Black Halo. The following release was a letdown for many fans, because of new influences on the band's sound. If you are one of those fans, then better pass on this record, since it's one step further along the same road. If you however, like me, loved Ghost Opera, definately give this one a try.

Read more ››
published 15.12.2010 | Comments (4)

Guest review by
Kais
Rating:
It's been 5 years since Poetry For The Poisoned was released. Five long years in which illustrious Kamelot and Conception vocalist decided to bid farewell to the music industry as a whole, for a higher cause, and it was the first studio appearance of original bassist Sean Tibbetts, after long-time bassist Glenn Berry had left the band.

Read more ››
published 28.06.2015 | Comments (7)

Comments page 4 / 5

Comments: 142   [ 4 ignored ]   Visited by: 702 users
22.09.2010 - 07:03
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
My expectations were only average, since I didn't like Ghost Opera so much, but I think my uncertainy about this new album is regarding Khan's performance. There's something flat, maybe a bit touched up in the studio, who knows, but it's just like he's past his peak somehow. He's still better than the majority of power metal singers, but I can only hear that greatness on the opening track, unfortunately.

Still decent though for me, so I'd rate it higher than your review, maybe 7ish. I'm a bit surprised about the comments about ballads by Kamelot - they've had them for awhile, and I've never liked many of them as they've always seemed cheesy; this album is no different for me. But, nice production, and some innovative ideas are hinted at that I hope the band explores - and finds stronger focus with
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
22.09.2010 - 09:31
Rating: 5
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Rui Correia on 22.09.2010 at 00:10

Performance:8
Songwriting:6

overall = 5,9
I am impressed with your math...

You're assuming that the final rating is based on those 4. you're wrong. In my opinion, songwriting is THE most important.
22.09.2010 - 14:09
Rating: 9
Rui Correia
Written by Daniell on 22.09.2010 at 09:31

Written by Rui Correia on 22.09.2010 at 00:10

Performance:8
Songwriting:6

overall = 5,9
I am impressed with your math...

You're assuming that the final rating is based on those 4. you're wrong. In my opinion, songwriting is THE most important.

yes, it is fair, but even the worst score (songwriting) is larger than the final score ... It seems inappropriate ...
22.09.2010 - 14:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Rui Correia on 22.09.2010 at 14:09

yes, it is fair, but even the worst score (songwriting) is larger than the final score ... It seems inappropriate ...

5.9 = 6
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.09.2010 - 15:45
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
It's the closest round number, isn't it?
When a reviewer rates an album, he has the general rating, which is from 2.0 to 10.0, making 5.9 possible. The 4 detailed elements can only be rated in round numbers.

Let me also elaborate on these marks a bit:

Performance 8 - the band is very adept at their instruments, guitar solos are good, the vocalist is very good.
Songwriting 6 - its biggest fault is its discrepancy - too many ideas that don't go well together. The songs don't "flow" one after another, the listening experience is spoiled.
Originality 7 - the relatively high mark is for band's courage to juxtapose songs that differ so much. the mark isn't higher, because the juxtaposition isn't entirely successful.
Production 7 - it's adequate, but lacks depth and good guitar sound.

Overall, it's 5.9, because it isn't complete crap, but it's very disappointing.
22.09.2010 - 16:15
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Irritable Ted on 21.09.2010 at 20:58

5.9 for the review, you are just trying to make a name for yourself by slagging off a big name release. Cheap journalism.

Sometimes a review is just a review man, you're overthinking a little bit. I completely disagree with what you wrote because I doubt that daniell_p is such an asshole that believes that one can make a name for yourself here. He's just writing his opinion.
____

I also want to point out how sensitive people are here when it comes to A FUCKING NUMBER. This album is not shit, it's just average as the review explains. Damn, now I understand why Jupitreas don't use numbers anymore.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
22.09.2010 - 21:38
BlankFile
I agree with the review and also with the rating. I gave it a 5 myself.
22.09.2010 - 22:16
Rui Correia
Yeah!!!

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.09.2010 at 14:33

Written by Rui Correia on 22.09.2010 at 14:09

5.9 = 6
23.09.2010 - 19:04
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 22.09.2010 at 16:15

I also want to point out how sensitive people are here when it comes to A FUCKING NUMBER. This album is not shit, it's just average as the review explains. Damn, now I understand why Jupitreas don't use numbers anymore.

Exactly
However, I'm not afraid of stating my opinion, no matter how unpopular it'll turn out to be. Also, I don't give a shit about shit thrown at me by those who can't accept my ratings. It only put them in a bad light, not me.
23.09.2010 - 22:11
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 21.09.2010 at 02:29

True, but, look on the bright side, Blind Guardian's At The Edge Of Time is the best power metal release this year.

Not just that, it's one of the best metal albums released in years. I am so glad that Blind Guardian delivered a great symphonic power metal album, since so many bands have gone downhill in the recent years, not just Kamelot, but also Sonata Arctica, a band who's earlier albums I loved.
24.09.2010 - 01:51
Rating: 8
Itoc
Trønder
Let's just enjoy the music? Hey, it's entertainment! Let's not behead anyone.
24.09.2010 - 03:15
Rating: 7
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by WorpeX on 22.09.2010 at 05:40

Just got the album, and I hate to admit it... but this is really not as good as any of their previous releases. :/ First Kamelot album to disappoint me. Maybe, hopefully, it will get better after repeated listens. The first five songs are great, but once I got to House On a Hill it was like a road block. The rest bored me to death. T_T

Great Pandemonium is good and I also like The Zodiac, If Tomorrow Came and Hunter's Season a lot. The rest are so miserable I can barely even make it to the end of the album to hear Once Upon a Time, which is the only other worthwhile song.

Listen "My Train Of Thoughts" and "So Long", are good (and of course you've said, the last song: "Once Upon a Time").
24.09.2010 - 08:22
Rating: 6
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Written by Vikcen on 24.09.2010 at 03:15

Written by WorpeX on 22.09.2010 at 05:40

Just got the album, and I hate to admit it... but this is really not as good as any of their previous releases. :/ First Kamelot album to disappoint me. Maybe, hopefully, it will get better after repeated listens. The first five songs are great, but once I got to House On a Hill it was like a road block. The rest bored me to death. T_T

Great Pandemonium is good and I also like The Zodiac, If Tomorrow Came and Hunter's Season a lot. The rest are so miserable I can barely even make it to the end of the album to hear Once Upon a Time, which is the only other worthwhile song.

Listen "My Train Of Thoughts" and "So Long", are good (and of course you've said, the last song: "Once Upon a Time").

'So Long' is one of my least favorites. The minute the girl opens her mouth I change the song. Her voice is so annoying. The only PftP song I don't mind is Incubus and thats only for the first half. My Train of Thoughts is growing on me. Very, very slowly. Its so cheesy, even for Kamelot standards, that I have trouble really getting into it. Not to mention its boring, uninspired and not catchy at all.

Once Upon a Time is very enjoyable, I just can't shake the feeling that i've heard the song before. It sounds a lot like a Sonata Arctica song fused with A Feast for the Vain.
24.09.2010 - 08:34
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by WorpeX on 24.09.2010 at 08:22

Once Upon a Time is very enjoyable, I just can't shake the feeling that i've heard the song before. It sounds a lot like a Sonata Arctica song fused with A Feast for the Vain.

Or maybe to other Kamelot's song =) .
24.09.2010 - 16:41
MeTalRea|istiK
For me all song at a level of average..no killer in this album..
25.09.2010 - 00:33
Enissa
Written by Irritable Ted on 21.09.2010 at 20:58

I'm going to join the minority. I have listened to it and it is definitely not as bad as people are making out. I cannot hear a bad album. The vocals are good, the instrumentals are good, the song writing is good. No BAD whatsoever.

Yes, it is not power metal anymore, so the speed is less apparent, it seems a more mature album with more depth and a certain grower.

It reminds me more of Conception's middle two albums, which were masterpieces of progressive power metal. So maybe if your tastes are more simplified then that is why you don't appreciate the added depth.

My only criticism is that the production is a bit muddy, the rhythm guitars seem lost in the mix.

My exact thoughts, Conception's Parallel Dreams and In your Multitude are very awesome albums....
25.09.2010 - 00:50
pisymbol
Written by MeTalRea|istiK on 24.09.2010 at 16:41

For me all song at a level of average..no killer in this album..

That's my problem with it right now. I still need more listens but not one song has my head banging. Other than the first track which IS cool there is no real killer on this album. I agree with the original review, they definitely lacked focus on this album. They are all over the place from song to song.
26.09.2010 - 14:09
Rating: 4
vezzy
Stallmanite
Hm, seems like a fairly standard approach when a review is in a really positive spectrum.

So there's a review that praises the album, big deal.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
26.09.2010 - 18:38
Rating: 4
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Irritable Ted on 26.09.2010 at 18:30

Because it adds another view and a different perspective to a one sided review. All debates have at least two sides numbnuts.

Yeah, simply voicing your own opinion with your own words would suffice well enough, rather than cooking up some copypasta.

This review judges the album for what it is and it is stated that the reviewer liked previous efforts by the band, the other simply delves into it like the album is paradise.

Why not wait the three months to pass and write a review of your own? Then there would be a fine contrast.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
27.09.2010 - 02:39
Opethian
Written by ponderer on 20.09.2010 at 19:09

Written by Opethian on 20.09.2010 at 00:54

HAHAHA its sad how the retard who reviewed the album was too ass hurt to admit the fact that Kamelot isnt a band that is going to put out the same record year after year. This band doesnt please a certain crowd and i take it that is what gets everyones panties mixed in a bunch .. so to say.

IMHO this album is a TRUE follow up to TBH, i respect the fact that Kamelot doesnt in no way depend on their passed albums to move forward! Every album is a different experience. I love PFTP and its Kamelot doing what their excellent at, which is delivering great music

Well said. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this offering is pretty damn good. Let the haters hate it's just a shame everyone has to look at that tragic review as soon as they click on the cd. Totally unfair and biased.

LOL thanks!
27.09.2010 - 11:31
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
27.09.2010 - 17:34
Shadowcross
The Summoner
definitely one to listen to on MySpace first...
28.09.2010 - 14:31
Rating: 8
Itoc
Trønder
My biggest concern about PftP compared to all the other releases is a certain "Kamelot sound" - a certain sound/instrument to be specific which is absent. It's a certain "whistle"/"folk-ish tune" (keys I believe) which you find in many Kam songs: "A Sailorman's Hymn", "Center of the Universe" (the calm part), "Moonlight" (also the calm part), "Abandoned", "Anthem" to mention a few. THIS particular "Kamelot sound" appears ONCE in PftP: "Poetry for the Poisoned: So Long" at 00:31 - 00:35 which has THREE (3) bloody notes in the whole album. I don't think many fans are aware of this particular sound, because it blends so well into the music. But yeah, that is one particular thing I was missing. In other words, I wouldn't have recognized this as "Kamelot" if it wasn't for Khan on vocals.
01.10.2010 - 11:58
<O>!<O>
Account deleted
Is it me or does the production really blow?
Anyways, I think I might have enjoyed it more, had it been better produced, but at the moment the album ranges from mediocre-slightly good for me...in any case, this is one really disappointing offering from Kamelot...
Good review by the way...
13.10.2010 - 09:09
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Thespian Drama is awesome btw. Just heard it on youtube. Wish it had come on my album!
26.10.2010 - 18:12
Asmara
This is a great review! nicely done! also agree with most of the arguments. such a pity!
20.11.2010 - 17:40
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
I really don't understand the hate for this album. I've been reading the comments and it seems pretty universally panned here. At first I didn't really dig it either, but it grew on me FAST and now I see its good qualities. A bit more proggy than Kamelot's previous few albums, maybe a bit darker, but honestly I don't hear a huge difference. Lots of people talk about how they changed but I seriously don't hear it. A nice (slight) evolution in the direction from Ghost Opera.

There is some really beautiful metal music here.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
06.12.2010 - 15:20
Cathaldus
I'm going with the group of disappointed fans on this one. Not up to Kamelot standards imo. I will also add that I think daniell_p's review is right on the money.
20.03.2011 - 18:21
Matheus
Some of the comments here makes me really pissed, and it is sad that so many of you guys are this single-minded... I think it is absolutely wonderful in the way Kamelot has evolved.., and I am super pleased to say that finally are more in contact with their Gothic influences, those influences were always there, but now more than ever obvious. It is also great that they are less of a power metal band on this record. Kamelot was always more than a normal power metal band. Because, lets face it, power metal in its pure form IS KIND OF BORING. Kamelot was always so much more, and on PFTP Youngblood shows that he is a true genious when it comes to making music.

So, to all you, narrowminded people who doesnt understand the strength in the darker and more complex songs on the PFTP, maybe you should just stick to Blind Guardian or sth.

I love KAMELOT more than ever, I think PFTP could be there most mature and interesting album so far. I am thrilled to see them live in London later on this spring!!
21.03.2011 - 13:53
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by Matheus on 20.03.2011 at 18:21

Some of the comments here makes me really pissed, and it is sad that so many of you guys are this single-minded... I think it is absolutely wonderful in the way Kamelot has evolved.., and I am super pleased to say that finally are more in contact with their Gothic influences, those influences were always there, but now more than ever obvious. It is also great that they are less of a power metal band on this record. Kamelot was always more than a normal power metal band. Because, lets face it, power metal in its pure form IS KIND OF BORING. Kamelot was always so much more, and on PFTP Youngblood shows that he is a true genious when it comes to making music.

So, to all you, narrowminded people who doesnt understand the strength in the darker and more complex songs on the PFTP, maybe you should just stick to Blind Guardian or sth.

I love KAMELOT more than ever, I think PFTP could be there most mature and interesting album so far. I am thrilled to see them live in London later on this spring!!

I agree with you in that Kamelot have always offered a new flavor of Power Metal that is quite unique in the genre, even developing their sound to incorporate entirely new elements or strengthened/altered already existing elements to keep their music interesting.

But what do you mean by 'Power metal in its pure form'?

Personally, I didn't enjoy the album, needless to say though that they have added to their already interesting sound. Unfortunate though that that doesn't necessarily mean that the album is good.

Hits total: 24440 | This month: 27