Metal Storm logo
Oomph!

17.05.2006 - 19:41
Vunts

I managed to copy the post from MS pretty much in the last moments, so here it is, for all of you to see.

Okay, i wrote a little more than 7 A4 pages of text about Oomph! and then i discover that the message is too long to post Well, all of that was a song-by-song "analysation" that i wrote to keep myself freshened with their works. I will post my original intro and then i will simply make a best of list with the descriptions from the "review" added to them.

I had the opportunity to listen to all of Oomph!'s records thanks to my friend (well, the first CD: Oomph! is a reissue from 2004) and i think that they are simply awesome. I remembered the band about a week ago when i was simply scrolling my TV channels and on one i saw some rap song, but there was a "up next" list there and there was Oomph! - Gott ist ein Popstar. So i thought o what the heck. I liked the song alot, so i decided to obtain some CDs. I got GlaubeLiebeTot and Wahrheit Oder Pflicht. Then a few days later i got (as i mentioned earlier) their other stuff also. They have progressed their sound greatly. In the beginning they played pure industrial metal that deserves no discrimination. Then they changed to more (imo) gothic influenced slightly doomish industrial metal that is rather radio friendly.

So basically...Oomph! is like a stepping stone into the genre imo. I am most fond of their latest album atm tho. I've been listening to that for two days straight, occasionally switched with Shape of Despair or Draconian and it hasn't gotten boring at all.

Albums best of:
1. GlaubeLiebeTot (2006) - Same excuse as with Wahrheit, but this just proves that i don't mind the change they took.
2. Wunschkind (1996)- I had the second most songs on this album that i liked. Less vocals parts were what i enjoyed the most, even though i don't really mind the vocals at all.
3. Ego (2001)- Definately better than it's predecessor. Plus it had Atem on it, so that definately raised the memory of the CD sky-high.
4. Wahrheit Oder Pflicht (2004)- Was too tired to write more as this was the second-last CD that i listened to.
5. Defekt (1995)- Just getting better and better. Upgrades are noticable. And the music was a little heavier also.
6. Sperm (1994)- Overall, a good album. Not one of my tops, but a solid release to spend some time now and then.
7. Unrein (1998)- Again...a different album. Always progressing to one direction or another. Mainly it seems that the music is going softer and softer with each release, but it certainly doesn't mean that the quality is declining or anything.
8. Plastik (1999)- Well, i didn't enjoy this CD. I don't even know why...i know that it isn't because i've been writing about Oomph! for an hour or so and i'm running out of air due to the bass...it isn't because of the named reaasons because i've been like that for the same times during the weekend before also. I just don't recommend the CD at all.

I have lost the Oomph! reissue to somewhere, so i can't comment on that atm.

Songs best of:
1. Eine Frau Spricht im Schlaf - My FAVOURITE Oomph! song. And after a good listening of everything in a row, and writing about them, it only feels the top song more confidently. I love the atmosphere mostest.
2. Ich Will Deine Deele - THE best beginning of all. I love the song in general also.
3. Atem - A totally awesome song. The beginning is better than anything by Oomph! in that type of area (not so much key but more of an alteration of guitar)
4. Down in This Hole - Damn...The drums were quite frankly the best of all the Oomph! songs. And the song itself is also in the tops when concidering all Oomph!'s songs.
5. Das Weisse Licht - Didn't have anything much to write here, just that it pretty much presents the new style in the front row.

So as you may have realized...i like Oomph! to a rather big extent. And i hate it when people say they aren't metal.

EDIT: removed a little bit of misinformation. While it was pretty much a quote, i think i missed a few important words making it seem like Oomph! was the forefather of industrial metal in Germany. I apoligize and thank Megadeth88 for reminding me.
21.05.2006 - 17:30
GT
Coffee!!
I'm quite fond of Oomph! as well. I like the heavy industriel sound. It reminds me a little of Rammstein but then again it doesn't. I don't know how else describe them. Don't understand why people would call them anything but metal
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
21.05.2006 - 18:00
Vunts

Finally someone answered. I was beginning to think i will be all alone here for a long time.
What era do you like more? The mid-days, latter-days or early-days?
21.05.2006 - 18:18
GT
Coffee!!
Actually I don't know mush about them. Just have a few downloads. My favorite tracks must be Augen Auf and Fieber. The video for Augen Auf is just awesome.
If you can recomend any period or tracks I'm willing to try it out
----

21.05.2006 - 18:59
Vunts

I pretty much suggest everything except Unrein and Plastik. Wunschkind might do the trick for you, but don't hold me responsible if what i said is incorrect. If you like the more melodic music, then GlaubeLiebeTot is most likely the one to suit your needs. Albums up to Plastik contain the most raw material...well, Plastik could sortof count under there also, but since i found it utterly boring, i won't suggest that to you.
22.05.2006 - 12:31
GT
Coffee!!
Cheers mate. I'll try to check some of this out and then return with my opinion.
----

26.05.2006 - 12:16
Prinz Dracul II
Account deleted
Written by GT on 21.05.2006 at 17:30

I'm quite fond of Oomph! as well. I like the heavy industriel sound. It reminds me a little of Rammstein but then again it doesn't.

I red someday that Oomph's music was the reason for Rammstein to make similar sounds. So it is like Rammstein copied Oomph.

btw. The new album has some great tracks on it.
03.06.2006 - 21:27
Pierre Tombale

at least Oomph are older as a band than Rammstein, but I don't know to what extent it is true with their influence on Rammstein
03.06.2006 - 23:00
Vunts

As far as i've read from different places. Oomph! defined the German industrial metal sound. So i believe it's pretty obvious that Rammstein has improved themselves thanks to Oomph!

EDIT: ofc i can be wrong...the internet isn't all true.
25.06.2006 - 16:57
GT
Coffee!!
@headbang vol.99: been trying to find some more Oomph! stuff...have only found some of their new stuff...like 'Gott Ist Ein Popstar', 'Sex Hast Keine Macht' and 'Letzte Streichholz'...it's ok but not as hard and industrial as their old stuff...more like hard rock or something. That's a shame 'cause I really liked the sound of 'Augen Auf' and 'Flammen'. Hope they return to the "heavy" sound again
----

28.06.2006 - 10:57
Vunts

Indeed. The new material is more to the rock area and not as heavy as the old times, but it's good that you didn't find it repelling. At least you seem to be able to listen to them and not think of suicide thoughts.
Good luck on finding material from their older days!
28.07.2006 - 05:13
Promonex
Cathemeral
Ooh, kinda late that I find this thread, ain't it? As you can guess from my avatar, I'm a huge Oomph! fan myself. If you are interested in listening to their stuff, their fansite http://www.oomph-supernova.com has a great media section with 30 second samples of all their songs and ALL of their videos free for download. And as you can guess from their video profile here on MS that isn't few at all. Just stay clear of the "Gekreuzigt (Remix)", and "Das weisse Licht" and "Fieber" are probably too mellow for metalheads (the video for "Das weisse Licht" is very good though).
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
28.07.2006 - 21:58
Vunts

A nice site you've posted. I found the lyrics section especially useful. I'll watch the rest of the videos tomorrow also. So yeah, thanks for the site. And i'm glad you dropped by. I suppose it's just hard to keep track on the similar threads that one was actively posting in when the old forum was still around (not that i remember much about that Oomph! thread...i think i scrolled through it when the forum had already gone down)
23.09.2006 - 22:34
Megadeth88

@headbang vol.99, I'm gonna disagree with you on Oomph! laying the industrial metal on Germany. KMFDM have been around longer than Oomph! and they get no credit for starting the genre, That really pisses me off. I'm not saying Oomph! is a bad band 'cause they're not I just think KMFDM started industrial german metal, not Oomph!
23.09.2006 - 23:22
Rainmaker123
Account deleted
Really like Oomph, feal sorry for them being kinda drowned out by Rammstein though, as Rammstein is heavly influenced by Oomph. But i like Rammstein and Oomph equally, both great bands.
24.09.2006 - 10:19
Vunts

Written by Megadeth88 on 23.09.2006 at 22:34

@headbang vol.99, I'm gonna disagree with you on Oomph! laying the industrial metal on Germany. KMFDM have been around longer than Oomph! and they get no credit for starting the genre, That really pisses me off. I'm not saying Oomph! is a bad band 'cause they're not I just think KMFDM started industrial german metal, not Oomph!

Oh yeah...that part is correct. But i didn't mean it like that when i first wrote it. I was just comparing it to Rammstein and well...all that stuff. I had known of KMFDM when i made this thread, but i just like...bah.
I'll just change the original post. Thank you for telling me
24.09.2006 - 16:58
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Actually, when it comes to the "kraut" version of industrial rock/metal, The Young Gods were way more influential than either KMFDM or Oomph!. Granted, they are actually a Swiss band but the sonic influence is very obvious anyway.
28.09.2006 - 02:40
Megadeth88

Written by Vunts on 24.09.2006 at 10:19

Written by Megadeth88 on 23.09.2006 at 22:34

Oh yeah...that part is correct. But i didn't mean it like that when i first wrote it. I was just comparing it to Rammstein and well...all that stuff. I had known of KMFDM when i made this thread, but i just like...bah.
I'll just change the original post. Thank you for telling me

It's okay man. Just making sure. :p
28.09.2006 - 08:00
afz902k
Account deleted
About Oomph!, I don't really like their last two albums, or the first one. The others, according to myself and my own appreciation, are a bit more raw and/or metal-ish, which I find most appealing.
10.11.2006 - 18:23
Baz Anderson

ive wanted to listen to this band for a long time, and so today i finally got 'round to listening to them for the first time
i am almost through listening to 'Defekt' and i think it is rather good indeed
i really really like this sort of music - really heavy and industial sounding
i am looking forward to hearing more of them!!
13.11.2006 - 04:23
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I got their discography recently and loved it. I gotta say in the early ages they sounded a bit like Rammstein. I know, RMS was influeneced by Oomph!. But Rammstien is highly overrated IMO. Their style has changed, but they are an awesome band, a very complete band.

Their sound is great and has a lot of variations, they have fast songs, agressive songs, ballads, sad songs... Dero's voice is incredibly versatile, he can go up, down, scream and sing sofly and be very emotive in ballads. The programming is really cool and gives a lot of dinamism to the general sound.

The lyrics are simply awesome, and sometimes even funny (Gott ist ein popstar ), and their videos are like little movies, like Die Schlinge or Sex Hat Keine Macht. Maybe they don't sound so metal now, but they're still metal for me, and they are among my favorite bands.

PD: Band discovered thanks to Metal Storm!
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
01.05.2007 - 04:09
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
I heard this band for the first time some days ago, and I really liked it, their music sounds original (at least what I've heard until now)
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
23.04.2008 - 11:01
ArtiA
Robin Goodfellow
I just say another best band after Rammstein , but prefer old version of band
----
"The WAY" is perfect and complete like boundless space nothing redundant but because the mind continues to make distinction.
22.01.2009 - 12:55
გურ
Account deleted
I am listening Sandmann Now. It's Cool. I've bought New Album.
OOmph Is My childhood Band So I like them ...
09.03.2009 - 02:43
spoonerX

I listen to Oomph! since I was 10... love their music... the only I dont like is their shows..
now that they are more popish the audiance is the same as in Tokio Hotel shows... makes it rly boring

I like all their music.. Oomph! is to me one of the best proof that a band can evolve in their style of music
----
its when you travel that you realise that man will never really belong to a country...

Attending:
Rammstein - Paris, Bercy: 8th of december
17.12.2009 - 16:54
macraigma

I like the song Foil! =D i am a new fan of Oomph! for about 1 month now lol. Anyone got song suggestions - like whats their heaviest song etc..
----
"Now for the weak an abortion
Celebrate perfection that grows
The flesh, a gift of science
The soul a fault of a god"
18.12.2009 - 06:12
Promonex
Cathemeral
Written by macraigma on 17.12.2009 at 16:54

I like the song Foil! =D i am a new fan of Oomph! for about 1 month now lol. Anyone got song suggestions - like whats their heaviest song etc..

If you liked "Foil", you probably can't go wrong with the rest of the "Unrein" album, the last album before they shifted their style from metal to rock. Some of my personal favorite songs are:
"Gleichschritt", "Der neue Gott" and "Mein Herz" from their industrial era (1989-1992)
"Bastard", "Down in This Hole", "Unsere Rettung" (also a staple in every live set) and "Mitten ins Herz" from their metal era (1993-1998)
"Niemand", "Kontrollverlust", "Supernova" and "Nothing Is Real" from their pre-breakthrough rock era (1999-2003)
"Wenn du weinst", "Labyrinth" and "Sandmann" from their rather commercial post-breakthrough rock era (2004-now)

But actually I'm more of an album listener. My favorite albums are "Defekt" (obviously), "Wunschkind", "Unrein" and "Ego", and "GlaubeLiebeTod" wasn't all bad either.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
18.12.2009 - 23:00
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by Promonex on 18.12.2009 at 06:12

Written by macraigma on 17.12.2009 at 16:54

If you liked "Foil", you probably can't go wrong with the rest of the "Unrein" album, the last album before they shifted their style from metal to rock. Some of my personal favorite songs are:
"Gleichschritt", "Der neue Gott" and "Mein Herz" from their industrial era (1989-1992)
"Bastard", "Down in This Hole", "Unsere Rettung" (also a staple in every live set) and "Mitten ins Herz" from their metal era (1993-1998)
"Niemand", "Kontrollverlust", "Supernova" and "Nothing Is Real" from their pre-breakthrough rock era (1999-2003)
"Wenn du weinst", "Labyrinth" and "Sandmann" from their rather commercial post-breakthrough rock era (2004-now)

But actually I'm more of an album listener. My favorite albums are "Defekt" (obviously), "Wunschkind", "Unrein" and "Ego", and "GlaubeLiebeTod" wasn't all bad either.

Yep, some really good songs you mentioned there, my favourite Oomph! song is for example "Unsere Rettung", imo it's a real masterpiece
27.06.2010 - 13:34
ExtraHachse

Oomph! wasn't the first Industrial metal band of Germany but the first Neue Deutsche Härte band. Neue Deutsche Härte is a subgenre of Industrial Metal and KMDFM isn't Neue Deutsche Härte.
----
I like Powerwolf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
27.06.2010 - 16:45
Vunts

I kind of liked their new album which didn't really have new songs, but slightly older and bit more older songs resung in English. 'Truth or Dare' is the album's name for the interested ones.