03. Cold Becoming
04. Beneath
05. The Hollow Idols
06. Omens
07. The Destroyers Of All

Guest review by
VloRD
Rating:
Contrary to what those purists tell you, about how those "good old days" where the best, the truth is music must evolve. Whether for better or for worse, it is strictly a subjective matter and will differ from person to person. Yet, we have these flamboyant artists, who produce such remarkable work, that it stands as a testament to this un-retractable change.

Read more ››
published 26.05.2011 | Comments (15)

Here's an album title that really speaks for itself... Ulcerate is one of those rare bands with a peculiar monumental sound: there's room for both punishing br00tality and dissonant darkness. A must check out album that will rip yer face off.

Thryce's picks | More picks ››

Found in 40 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 37   Visited by: 644 users
13.01.2011 - 10:39
gorguts
10/10 probably one of my fav releases of this year!
25.01.2011 - 11:52
Rating: 6
Tatras
Magnificent work.
27.01.2011 - 07:44
PrimalAntagonist
Account deleted
I heard a single track and it was awesome.......looking forward to getting the full album
27.01.2011 - 14:30
Rating: 9
oroboros
Dead Ocenas is such a nicely crafted song.
24.03.2011 - 01:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I heard this was a bit under par. They were clearly wrong.

I agree Dead Oceans is amazing. It's like death metal+
24.03.2011 - 05:40
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Ulcerate has gotta be one of the best metal bands in recent times. Everything they do is just great- And unique too. It's rare to hear a death metal band with this kind of atmosphere-hell I've never heard a dm band with this atmosphere. I think Ulcerate may be pioneering a death metal equal to the post black and post sludge movements of the preivious decade.
24.03.2011 - 14:05
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 24.03.2011 at 05:40

Ulcerate has gotta be one of the best metal bands in recent times. Everything they do is just great- And unique too. It's rare to hear a death metal band with this kind of atmosphere-hell I've never heard a dm band with this atmosphere. I think Ulcerate may be pioneering a death metal equal to the post black and post sludge movements of the preivious decade.

I was just saying yesterday how I think this album could be the first solid example of post-death metal ;]
30.03.2011 - 18:06
Ahmad
Yeah,my first impression after I heard this album was,this is what should be called Post-Death Metal.
it's not easy t get into this album,but it's still great one.
01.04.2011 - 14:44
InnerSelf
proofread free
Pure genius , it is spinning and spinning and it keeps getting more interesting
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
02.04.2011 - 14:42
zero
Sounds like Deathspell Omega and Immolation. Awesome! it's so dark. I can't wait to see them live. Hope they will come soon in Europe.

What do you think about the artwork? Personnaly i love it! Finally we got some great graphic design.
05.04.2011 - 00:10
Rating: 10
agalloch19
The unique simulater of destruction
18.05.2011 - 11:52
Tetravirulence
Is it only me who falls asleep while listening to the album but neways great stuff digging this for quite a few days
----
Metal News Community!! http://head-metal-bangers.blogspot.com

RIP Juhani Palomaki (1977-2010)
18.05.2011 - 20:31
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Tetravirulence on 18.05.2011 at 11:52

Is it only me who falls asleep while listening to the album but neways great stuff digging this for quite a few days

No you are not
I tend to play albums that has anything to do with Post Metal when I go to sleep or just lay down to chill and relax
----
is not bold enough
24.05.2011 - 21:16
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
Ahahahaha at whoever gave this a 1.
26.05.2011 - 11:34
Rating: 8
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
This album is a big step down from Everything is Fire. Still not bad though
27.05.2011 - 13:45
Cryzpin
Written by Guest on 24.03.2011 at 05:40

It's rare to hear a death metal band with this kind of atmosphere-hell I've never heard a dm band with this atmosphere.

Go for Lykathea Aflame's Elvenefris - the atmosphere of the album will kill you, i promise .
30.05.2011 - 21:52
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
Yeah, I haven't heard a sound this radically new in death metal since arguably Meshuggah's Destroy Erase Improve album. Oh how influential this sound could be! It's certainly not a straightfoward combo of Deathspell Omega + Immolation. I dunno about this album yet...I'm kinda praising it for what it could be as opposed to what it is right now.

I still think this lacks the variation needed to successfully entertain the listener. It's slightly boring to me. On a good note, however, the atmosphere is overbearing (but in a subtle way compared to Mitochondrion)...it is quite a listenable album. Production work is quite good as well. This one could quite easily vary from a 7 to a 9 depending on my mood, haha.
31.05.2011 - 07:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 30.05.2011 at 21:52

Yeah, I haven't heard a sound this radically new in death metal since arguably Meshuggah's Destroy Erase Improve album.

But then again Meshuggah is not death metal
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.05.2011 - 16:37
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.05.2011 at 07:34

Written by Guest on 30.05.2011 at 21:52

Yeah, I haven't heard a sound this radically new in death metal since arguably Meshuggah's Destroy Erase Improve album.

But then again Meshuggah is not death metal

Agreed by lots of people, yes. I still find that they touch ground with death metal many times in Destroy Erase Improve, with lots of thrash, extreme metal and prog added in there in a kind of synthesis of those sounds and that's why I called it "death metal" in my post. Post DEI, I would call them "extreme with maybe a little avant-garde metal and maybe a touch of thrash in Chaosphere". Either way, look at all the djent kind of bands and all the other imitators that spawned.
My main point was that I believe this sound of Ulcerate's could be as influential to extreme metal as Meshuggah's was a long time ago. This is going to be the proper grounds for post death-metal, je pense. :p
31.05.2011 - 16:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
As much as I like this release I don't think it's revolutionary like Meshuggah were, more of an evolution of a particular sound. There's nothing here that one couldn't find elsewhere in its component parts. It's just a very clever take on death metal, however prominent the Neurosis factor is. If other bands follow suit then great but there's not really anywhere you could take this sound without abandoning the death metal constituent.
24.08.2011 - 22:33
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
What a piece of monstrous art. The dissonance and the sound of the guitar in general is just astonishing. A modern masterpiece in the genre, that's for sure. The performance is just perfect.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
25.02.2012 - 21:38
Rating: 7
*!*
While this one might be more "Death Metal" i still prefer Flourishing's The Sum Of All Fossils
26.01.2013 - 11:08
mz
I am late to the party but better late than never
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
09.04.2013 - 13:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 09.04.2013 at 08:03

It's like Neurosis but death metal.

Corrected that for you
09.04.2013 - 14:58
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I read the correction first... When I saw the original post I couldn't help saying out loud "what the fuck?".
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
24.08.2013 - 00:45
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Tatras on 25.01.2011 at 11:52

Magnificent work.

Don't you think "magnificent" is worthy of a higher rating?
24.08.2013 - 02:40
MechanisT
Account deleted
Brilliant at virtually every conceivable level. "Burning Skies" above, and "Dead Oceans" below.
Your fate is sealed.
24.08.2013 - 09:00
mz
Written by Guest on 24.08.2013 at 02:40

Brilliant at virtually every conceivable level. "Burning Skies" above, and "Dead Oceans" below.
Your fate is sealed.

yeah it's not only brilliant and well executed, but also truly unique and original. For sure we could tag it as a modern classic. In the next 20 year, maybe we will call DoA one of the most influential extreme metal albums of all time
----
25.08.2013 - 03:40
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by mz on 24.08.2013 at 09:00

Written by Guest on 24.08.2013 at 02:40

Your fate is sealed.

yeah it's not only brilliant and well executed, but also truly unique and original. For sure we could tag it as a modern classic. In the next 20 year, maybe we will call DoA one of the most influential extreme metal albums of all time

You might want to check out Flourishing then, their albums are as innovative and apparently their debut EP which introduced the sort of sound now called "Post-Death", or whatever, came out before DoA ... not that I'm making any less of a deal of DoA (which is not only one of my favorites from 2011 but one of my all time favorite albums as well) or criticising its originality, but I thought Flourishing would be right up your alley.
----
is not bold enough
25.08.2013 - 09:10
mz
Written by InnerSelf on 25.08.2013 at 03:40

You might want to check out Flourishing then, their albums are as innovative and apparently their debut EP which introduced the sort of sound now called "Post-Death", or whatever, came out before DoA ... not that I'm making any less of a deal of DoA (which is not only one of my favorites from 2011 but one of my all time favorite albums as well) or criticising its originality, but I thought Flourishing would be right up your alley.

I've listened to Flourishing's first EP and debut album. I initially did not liked them at all but their sound has started to grow on me. I am not generally used to sludgy sound and this makes Flourishing a little less enjoyable for me but I adore their originality, especially since some of their materials were written a couple of years ago,maybe more than 5 years before DoA
----

Hits total: 16132 | This month: 50