Metal Storm logo
Oriental/Mid-Eastern Sound in Metal Music

Original post

Posted by mariano, 24.02.2011 - 06:23
For me, the appetite for this kind of music started several years ago when I first played the video game "Prince of Persia, The Warrior Within". The soundtrack in this game features that special ingredient I love: distorted guitars playing those weird scales coming from the Middle-East.

Of course, the concept wasn't new for me, I had already enjoyed songs with these characteristics long before playing that video game. -I bet you all remember "Wherever I May Roam" from Metallica- but until that moment I've never listened to a band that featured those elements as a signature or at least as a frequent resource.

It only took me a couple of minutes googling until I found Orphaned Land. I think that for the next 6 months their album "Mabool" was the only music I played in my old mp3 player, hopping that their next release wouldn't take long to come out. Unfortunately I waited for 6 more years...

Meanwhile, I kept looking for more bands exposing mid-eastern elements but only found a few. One that I really like a lot is Ra, although it's not being featured in this website -probably because they've been tagged mainly as Alternative Metal which I think it's not popular here. Anyway, I leave you the link below just in case you are interested in listening what they do:

http://listen.grooveshark.com/playlist/Ra+Mid+Eastern+Sound/44038004?utm_campaign=grooveshark-app&utm_medium=email&utm_source=share&utm_content=call-to-action

I'd really appreciate your comments on
1) what bands you like from this "genre", and
2) how did you come to like this kind of music.
12.02.2012 - 23:26
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I think my first experience with this style was with Behemoth and Nile many years ago.
Those solos and licks that somehow reminded me of Egypt really got me I absolutely love the solo in the song "Cast Down The Heretic" by Nile, gives me the goosebumps everytime.

Later I checked out Orphaned Land and I fell in love with those guys too. Also Melechesh last year And that is pretty much all I've checked from the style...

Oh, and the death metal cover of Shakira by Kartikeya. Amazing.

13.02.2012 - 20:38
JD
Account deleted
Written by Unhealer on 12.02.2012 at 23:26

This song born to be a metal song.
13.12.2012 - 07:16
Wraith000

Listen to Myrath's Album The tales of the sand
I'm looking for metal music with middle eastern sounds too
----
\m/ - - \m/
13.12.2012 - 07:18
Wraith000

Written by Unhealer on 12.02.2012 at 23:26

I think my first experience with this style was with Behemoth and Nile many years ago.
Those solos and licks that somehow reminded me of Egypt really got me I absolutely love the solo in the song "Cast Down The Heretic" by Nile, gives me the goosebumps everytime.

Later I checked out Orphaned Land and I fell in love with those guys too. Also Melechesh last year And that is pretty much all I've checked from the style...

the cover song and the band wicked awesome thanks for the post man \m/
----
\m/ - - \m/
21.01.2013 - 04:02
squidrick420

Isreal has some REALLY good bands!!! too many to list on here. I was about to suggest Orphaned Land, but then i noticed you already found them. Idk what your into, but Salem is a really good Isreali black metal band, and armilos is a good death metal band. Good places to start your search for middle-eastern metal.
20.03.2013 - 15:56
CyberSymphony
Ollie
I have a list of around 40 albums of Oriental/Asian metal,
http://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=2903.
30.04.2013 - 15:32
envoke

Check out Gathas

29.03.2014 - 19:01
The Hammer33

Aeternam, Arkan, Myrath, Distorted (a bit)

AETERNAM's 2 albums are MUST HAVES!!
30.03.2014 - 14:01
ToMegaTherion

Edenbridge dabbled with Sitars and Mandolins for a few albums there. This made a few of their more well know tracks really. I rather enjoy the eastern feel of Shine in particular.
02.04.2014 - 15:32
toxx
Supreme being
31.05.2014 - 14:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Dislocation http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Dislocation/3540324677#

even band is from Latvia, main man is lezgin, nation who live sin N Azerbajan and S Dagestan and speeks lezgian (well seems now he lives in Norge)
band has like Melenches, Persian and suuch area influences

Pretty good I say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW2xtK4zKuM#t=29
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.06.2014 - 04:41
Dr.Overkill26

Melechesh if course, they're almost like the Nile of Israeli Black metal. Or Sumerian Black Metal.
----
Do you need what I need? Boundaries overthrown Look inside to each his own
Do you trust what I trust? me myself and I Penetrate the smoke screen I see Through the selfish lie
02.06.2014 - 14:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dr.Overkill26 on 01.06.2014 at 04:41

Melechesh if course, they're almost like the Nile of Israeli Black metal. Or Sumerian Black Metal.

why you suggest this band that its been done million times here and all knows it?
----

apos;'
[image]
02.06.2014 - 22:24
Dr.Overkill26

Written by Bad English on 02.06.2014 at 14:10

Written by Dr.Overkill26 on 01.06.2014 at 04:41

why you suggest this band that its been done million times here and all knows it?

Whoops My bad should've read that first page. U mad bro?;)
----
Do you trust what I trust? me myself and I Penetrate the smoke screen I see Through the selfish lie
02.06.2014 - 22:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dr.Overkill26 on 02.06.2014 at 22:24

U mad bro?;)
¨

negative
----

apos;'
[image]
02.06.2014 - 22:40
Dr.Overkill26

Written by Bad English on 02.06.2014 at 22:28

U mad bro?;)
¨

negative
[javascript:addtext('message_body',%20';D')/quote] Totally off-topic but that makes me think of Terminator. From now on I'm going to say "Affirmative" when I'm at work.
----
02.06.2014 - 22:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dr.Overkill26 on 02.06.2014 at 22:40

Written by Bad English on 02.06.2014 at 22:28

U mad bro?;)
¨

negative
[javascript:addtext('message_body',%20';D')/quote] Totally off-topic but that makes me think of Terminator. From now on I'm going to say "Affirmative" when I'm at work.

of topic... but civilans must learn military formath of spach, less mistaces and errors, I always try to use this one
----

apos;'
[image]
20.06.2014 - 08:24
Ganondox

Does System of a Down and the occassional Disturbed song count? Nile is also cool.
09.11.2016 - 12:54
The Hammer33

Aeternam (from Quebec, Canada!!!)

2 albums so far - amazing
22.11.2016 - 01:06
Orphydian

Aeternam has a ridiculously skilled vocalist. He should do more clean singing. The clean part from "Moongod" gives me chills

the best were already mentioned. Apart from that I would like to list some songs that have a slight influence/ thematic of this style

02.12.2016 - 05:22
nevi464

This band typically uses Hirajashi scales and harmonic minor scales

https://kaidanca.bandcamp.com/album/syndicate
02.12.2016 - 18:03
Kriegsmesser

Eastern-sounding flute can often serve as a counterpoint to metal riffs.
09.01.2017 - 07:47
KC

----
Transcending Obscurity Records | PR Company | Online Magazine (est 2005)

http://www.tometal.com
http://www.facebook.com/transcendingobscurity