02. Redneck Slanderous Mutation
03. Aprioristic Discharge
04. Forgotten Faces Of Human Prism
05. Lobotomia
06. Psychotic Redemption
07. Confronting The Dead
08. Elegy For The Wretched
09. Speeches Of Inadequacy

Septycal Gorge is an Italian death metal band. If you're as ignorant of Italian culture as I am... what the fuck is wrong with you? You probably watch Nascar and carry guns in public, don't you. You should be ashamed of yourself.

All I really know is that there is quite a bit of excellent death metal coming out of Italy right now. Is this album an exception?

~ Ooohhoohoohoo, the anticipation is too much! ~

First, you're probably wondering what septycal means. Well, I don't have an answer for that. The best Google could do is tell me that it's probably a Polish word. Which isn't of much help.

Your pretension alarms are going off? Well, they shouldn't be. They may be fond of nonsense language, but they play nothing but straight forward, in your face, diesel-guzzling, necrophilia-endorsing brutal death metal. Kindly start banging your head, or turn the album the fuck off. Now that's a situation.

Not much separates Septycal Gorge's music from the music of other brutal/tech death bands, though. The guitar work is fast, the drumming is faster, grooves are frequent, melody is scarce, and the vocals are growled. Erase The Insignificant sounds suspiciously like an album from Italian comrades, Vomit The Soul. The riffs are less technical and less varied, but the end result blurs into the same sonic blob as Portraits of Inhuman Abominations ? a blob that encompasses much of the brutal death scene. This is not to say that Erase isn't technical. It is. It just puts more emphasis on the adjective "brutal".

Erase is a decent album. There's nothing at all original about it, but Gorge doesn't set out to challenge you. Put Gorge on if you want to do some neck damage. They don't do much that other brutal death bands don't, but they won't test your patience and set your thumbs atwiddle. Grooves are emphasized but the album doesn't get too repetitious. Therefore, I like it. Now that's a situation.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 7

Written by wormdrink414 | 28.04.2011

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 29 users
30.04.2011 - 03:05
(((O)))

Yeah, I own this album and it's pretty good nothing original but it's still good.

..Great review btw.
30.04.2011 - 03:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
This album is badass. Reminiscent of early Suffocation with more technical bits thrown in for good measure, and the vocals are ultra-br00tal.

Side note: thanks to the Da Vinci split, I discovered Fleshgod Apocalypse.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.05.2011 - 09:53
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
What the fuck did i just witnessed....!!! Wow one hell of an album, surely enjoyable and highly recommended
26.05.2011 - 10:59
Rating: 10
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
This album makes me want to learn how to play guitar. Love it

Hits total: 3772 | This month: 8