13. The Impaler
14. One Body Too Many
15. Chest And Horns
16. Decimate The Weak
17. Angels Of Debauchery
18. Refined In The Fire
19. Brotherhood
20. Reloaded

A lot of people hate hardcore these days, but I can assure you it used to be cool, and there are still bands still putting out hardcore worth listening to...It's bands like this that give it that bad stigma. It's this faux-intellectual meets chest-beating tough-guy image that has become a staple in modern hardcore that has really turned it into an embarrassing genre.

To be fair, a lot of these detractors I'm placing on Winds Of Plague are more applicable to their previous releases, but the traces are still there in abundance. They still make music for people who take off their shirts in mosh pits and have a penchant for expressing their masculinity through domestic violence. The improvements lie mostly in the music itself. Against The World has more of a focus on their death metal side, which means their atrocious lyrics are at least a bit obscured. If there's one positive note that could be said about Winds Of Plague, it's the fact that they usually have a good guitar-keyboard dynamic, hell, it's probably the one factor that keeps them from being considered another completely generic deathcore act. Considering they manage to keep this chemistry flowing in their own style whilst doing a slightly better job at masking their 'roid-monkey lyrics, I'd say they're making improvements.

Of course, this is still a Winds Of Plague release, we still have to put up with what is basically a completely static album as far as tempo goes - never dropping too slow, but rarely picking up the pace. I'm not one with an opinion on breakdowns one way or another - but they seem completely asinine in this case, as breakdowns generally mark a dramatic tempo shift to alter the overall feeling of the song. Why do you need breakdowns in an album that's already essentially one continuous breakdown?

Winds Of Plague are improving, Against The World has significantly more high points than anything they've done so far. Too bad these improvements are at a glacial pace. Maybe 4 or 5 albums from now they'll have something worth listening to in it's entirety.

Written on 02.05.2011 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 23   Visited by: 270 users
02.05.2011 - 18:03
Ag Fox
Angel No More
>Why do you need breakdowns in an album that's already essentially one continuous breakdown?
quote of the day for me XD
----
loves 小巫
02.05.2011 - 20:55
CyberSymphony
Ollie
I remember listening to a few of their songs on album 'decimate the weak' because of their slight symphonic elements. But it wasn't worth anything unfortunatly and i wont bother to listen to this album.
02.05.2011 - 22:33
silenius

Listened to the song refined in fire on their myspace, 30 seconds in and i got so extremely bored i took up knitting just to keep myself from loosing the will to live
03.05.2011 - 00:00
wormdrink414

Wouldn't take much to do something better than their previous album. But I hear potential in this too. They're capable of making decent, chunky riffs but seem to try harder to ruin them than to hone them.
03.05.2011 - 00:14
Fat & Sassy!

I've been giving metalcore music a chance lately by listening (or trying to, to be more accurate) to more albums like these, and this was one of them. Like your review states, it isn't too bad, but the more I learn about metalcore and its tough-guy bullshit... the less lame flower-power metal seems to be in comparison. >_>
03.05.2011 - 01:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 03.05.2011 at 00:14

I've been giving metalcore music a chance lately by listening (or trying to, to be more accurate) to more albums like these...

Check out Converge, or Yao - don't bother with shit like this.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.05.2011 - 01:45
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 03.05.2011 at 00:14

I've been giving metalcore music a chance lately by listening (or trying to, to be more accurate) to more albums like these, and this was one of them. Like your review states, it isn't too bad, but the more I learn about metalcore and its tough-guy bullshit... the less lame flower-power metal seems to be in comparison. >_>

Don't judge metalcore by this. There are some really solid bands out there...This isn't really one of them.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
03.05.2011 - 01:59
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.05.2011 at 01:45

Will do. :O
03.05.2011 - 06:07
Void_Eater
Account deleted
I heard the song California on this album, and that actually sounded somewhat like thrash. Then I heard Refined in the Fire... Yeah... Then the rest of the albu, for curiosity's sake... Not a good album for sure.

Only thing you should have mentioned is the pathetic gimick of having The Ultimate Warrior on here. Otherwise, the review is spot on. Why add breakdowns to an album that is one continuous breakdown?

Those of ya'll who want good deathcore, check out Rings of Saturn.
04.05.2011 - 01:08
RainFillsRivers

In Refined in the Fire it sounds like theyre shouting "Evil fucking fish meat"

which is hilarious
----
- Wrainth
05.05.2011 - 13:23
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Hey Doc, domestic violence is REAL men express themselves RAWR.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
09.05.2011 - 02:06
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Everybody at my skool listens to this *CRINGE* , and when i ask "why do you listen to shitty deathcore" and, get this, they're like " it's not deathcore, its viking metal" and i'm like "NO its not" or even worse they're like " listen to some brutal music pussy" whereas i already listen to Skinless, Suffocation
Heh...
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
09.05.2011 - 02:36
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Boxcar Willy on 09.05.2011 at 02:06

they're like " listen to some brutal music pussy

That's the problem with releases like this in the first place, and with the generic brutal death scene. I'm all for brutality and death and murder and gore and whores and rape and all of that shit you can throw at me, but goddammit if you don't make MUSIC out of it I'm not interested, and that doesn't make people like me a pussy.

I love faux-elitism.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.05.2011 - 06:03
Void_Eater
Account deleted
That's why I no longer tell people that I'm a metalhead, I don't want to be associated with shit like this, and it's fans.

Written by Boxcar Willy on 09.05.2011 at 02:06

Everybody at my skool listens to this *CRINGE* , and when i ask "why do you listen to shitty deathcore" and, get this, they're like " it's not deathcore, its viking metal" and i'm like "NO its not" or even worse they're like " listen to some brutal music pussy" whereas i already listen to Skinless, Suffocation
Heh...

Go play those guys some early Carcass, and they'll hide under their stylish hats and use their trendy gauged earlobes to cover their ears.
13.05.2011 - 19:53
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
I have never been a fan of these guys. In all honesty, if you play any album from them there would be no way that I can point out what is what. Very simply music.

In all honesty, this one of the reasons that I do not like these guys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bIPX1NSSIY
13.05.2011 - 22:16
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 13.05.2011 at 19:53

In all honesty, this one of the reasons that I do not like these guys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bIPX1NSSIY

?

You're gonna have to help me out there, I see nothing out of the ordinary. You don't like hot girls with septum piercings, that it?
13.05.2011 - 22:37
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 13.05.2011 at 22:16

Written by Guest on 13.05.2011 at 19:53

?

You're gonna have to help me out there, I see nothing out of the ordinary. You don't like hot girls with septum piercings, that it?

No, I just don't like bro metal. I grew up in that area of town, know how those guys are. The chick is hot, thats the only good thing that they have going for themselves.
13.05.2011 - 22:38
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 13.05.2011 at 22:37

No, I just don't like bro metal. I grew up in that area of town, know how those guys are. The chick is hot, thats the only good thing that they have going for themselves.

You've lost me again: bro metal?
14.05.2011 - 01:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 13.05.2011 at 22:38

Written by Guest on 13.05.2011 at 22:37

You've lost me again: bro metal?

I believe bro metal is another term for deathcore.
----
14.05.2011 - 06:07
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.05.2011 at 01:05

I believe bro metal is another term for deathcore.

I feel so uncultured.
14.05.2011 - 12:45
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 03.05.2011 at 01:59

Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.05.2011 at 01:45

Will do. :O

I thought you knew about Converge... check them out... REALLY. Their latest was fucking awesome. Intense as hell in the beginning and in the end it calms down in a very cool tune.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.05.2011 - 20:42
Fat & Sassy!

Bro metal? What's next, brogressive metal? XD
21.05.2011 - 22:02
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 14.05.2011 at 20:42

Bro metal? What's next, brogressive metal? XD

LoL
and to the others i showed them some early Abortbed... one pissed himself, the other cut his ears off, and the last committed suicide
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS

Hits total: 6657 | This month: 2