08. Mindlock
09. Iced

Top 20 albums of 1992: 12

Additional info
Artwork by Dan Seagrave

Guest review by
Mega-Slayer
Rating:
Upon first hearing Malevolent Creation's sophmore effort, right away you have to notice all of the major changes. First of all the line-up: riff master Phil, bassist Jason and the ever punishing Bret are still present but taking Jeff's place on guitar is Rob Barrett, later of the infamous Cannibal Corpse, as well as the recruiting of blast-beat extraordinaire Alex Marquez, both of death/thrash band Solstice. Secondly the production is perfect, clean and crisp, and the music is much more mature than the debut, both in the songwriting and composition (not saying that "Ten Commandments" isn't anything less than perfect). The very first thing that captivated me is the cover art, done by the infamous Dan Seagrave; he pretty much concocted every one of the death metal classics of the nineties. I myself bought this album about 4 months ago and still listen to it on a regular basis so you just try pointing out any flaws. It needs to be re-released in the United States, along with their debut, because it is an instant classic, and let me fully explain why.

Read more ››
published 26.12.2006 | Comments (3)

Found in 24 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 449 users
29.05.2011 - 00:00
Rating: 10
Tetravirulence

Absolutely into the face and one of the best death metal albums if not the best
----
Metal News Community!! http://head-metal-bangers.blogspot.com

RIP Juhani Palomaki (1977-2010)
06.07.2011 - 16:00
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
Written by Tetravirulence on 29.05.2011 at 00:00

Absolutely into the face and one of the best death metal albums if not the best

Tr00. That album defines DM. It has every DM element in it. Worth owning.
18.11.2012 - 00:30
Illog1cal
Account deleted
Its a big improvement on the debut, this one channels the explosiveness and its generally much better structured.
04.06.2013 - 14:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Not as good as the debut but very nice nonetheless.
04.06.2020 - 21:24
metalriff

Old school death metal perfected
----
1001 Metal albums to hear before you die
https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=6531
14.06.2020 - 00:44
Rating: 8
Redel

Good but the debut is better.
14.06.2020 - 01:33
Metal Rasputin

One of my favourite old school US death metal records of all time. Retribution is like combination of everything I love about the genre, including the classic Scott Burns style production. Some might say his trademark brighter and cleaner metal tone is rather weak when compared to the more output-oriented standards of our time, but that's a matter of taste in my opinion. I love the thing.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
10.06.2021 - 17:46
Rating: 7
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
This is a good solid Death Metal album, not quite a classic when I compare it with albums like Consuming Impulse, and Altars Of Madness for example, and I slightly prefer the debut to this.

I really like the way the vocals echo in some songs, like Coronation Of Our Domain, which gives it a sinister atmosphere at times, and I like how the beast on the album cover looks like somthing inspired by Alien.
10.06.2021 - 21:41
Rating: 7
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Written by Redel on 14.06.2020 at 00:44

Good but the debut is better.

I agree 🖒

Hits total: 10880 | This month: 38