04. Flight Of Fancy
05. Siren
06. Journey Of A Dream
07. Keyboard Solo
08. Rhythm Department
09. Calm Waters
10. Crystal Gazing
11. Revelation

Our contemporary obsession with speed has claimed control over every aspect of human life; a staggering number of men and women rush to get as much done as possible, consuming crazy amounts of caffeine and gorging fast food so they don't waste much time on their most natural of needs. The consequence is a whole civilization suffering from ADD. The time that bred a generation of metalheads who listen to several releases from different bands per day also gave birth to bands who allow you to listen to several genres at once, such as these Estonian youngsters.

Flights Of Fancy is an almost entirely instrumental, 80-minute long release which entertained me greatly. X-Panda claims being "proudly influenced" by Porcupine Tree, Planet X and several guitar/piano virtuosos, but the metal/prog influence is just one of the elements being dominant here - the other two are jazz and symphonic music present in movie soundtracks. The symphonic elements are sometimes too obviously synthy, but this band's imagery is very youthful and exuberant, so a bit of cheese is actually an accessory contributing to their music. The band also treats us to various "sound effects" entering their cheerful, flowing guitar/keyboard melodies - Nightwish-esque choirs, punk-ish shouts, fiesta trumpets, electronic sounds and many more.

When vocals make an appearance, they steal the show - imagine a deep voice, as sombre as Daniel Gildenlöw in his most theatric of moods, interpreting ridiculously catchy melodies. While singing along to them, you'll sound like an occultist on Prozac - extra points if your absent-minded humming disturbs strangers standing next to you!

X-Panda's goal is to play music for dreamers and our inner children. Indeed, their music brought up a very personal memory of mine. An art teacher in my elementary school used to play us some very light jazz fusion (the calm sections of the album reminded me of it) to inspire the class as we made sketches. I've learned to like the music, but my repulsive drawings made me decide to turn away from that brand of art, which ultimately lead me to creative writing. So, yeah, try Flights Of Fancy, it digs up stuff from your subconscious!

And speaking of art, how awesome is that cover anyway?

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written on 09.11.2011 by A part of the team since December 2011. 7.0 means the album is good.

Comments

Comments: 27   Visited by: 256 users
09.11.2011 - 05:39
Susan
Smeghead
Well, this sounds remarkably intriguing. Nice review!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
09.11.2011 - 09:55
Rating: 8
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Susan on 09.11.2011 at 05:39

Well, this sounds remarkably intriguing. Nice review!

It is, it is the most fun I've had with an album for months. Sure, it's long, but it totally pays off.
----
7.0 means the album is good
09.11.2011 - 11:00
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Porcupine Tree? I'd say this is for me.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
09.11.2011 - 11:43
3rdWorldFuckface
Account deleted
Symphonic elements with prog/jazz... i shud check this out for sure.
09.11.2011 - 12:18
Tod_Engel

You can watch their video for the song Revelation here.
09.11.2011 - 12:29
.mrt

X-Panda rules! I love the fact that they are from my home country.
But I don't understand why the reviewer didn't mention their most prominent influence - Dream Theater.
09.11.2011 - 12:49
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by .mrt on 09.11.2011 at 12:29

X-Panda rules! I love the fact that they are from my home country.
But I don't understand why the reviewer didn't mention their most prominent influence - Dream Theater.

I did mention 'several shredders', if you go to their site, you'll see they say they're influenced by Rudess and Petrucci as well as Liquid Tension Experiment... I think they did a better job at describing themselves than simply claiming to be inspired by DT guys. Subtle nuances, but very important
----
09.11.2011 - 15:35
jhook

Ohhhh im defiantly getting this
09.11.2011 - 18:04
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Totally just hit me that the band name is a play on "Expander"
09.11.2011 - 18:07
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Guest on 09.11.2011 at 18:04

I love word games but I have no clue what the word 'expander' means to you... so please elaborate, so I don't involve myself into a possible pervy discussion
----
09.11.2011 - 18:10
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Milena on 09.11.2011 at 18:07

I love word games but I have no clue what the word 'expander' means to you... so please elaborate, so I don't involve myself into a possible pervy discussion

Ha, no I'm sure it doesn't mean anything, I was just praising myself for noticing such a simple pun. Perhaps it could be a reference to band's style "expanding" in different directions, or the lengthy nature of the record. Or maybe they couldn't think of a good name and chose X-Panda for purely random reasons.
09.11.2011 - 18:40
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Guest on 09.11.2011 at 18:10

Ha, no I'm sure it doesn't mean anything, I was just praising myself for noticing such a simple pun. Perhaps it could be a reference to band's style "expanding" in different directions, or the lengthy nature of the record. Or maybe they couldn't think of a good name and chose X-Panda for purely random reasons.

I'll ask them via email and report my finds on this thread.
----
09.11.2011 - 19:42
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
"Revelation" is the song that won me over. These guys might actually be the best new band from Estonia since... forever.
09.11.2011 - 19:50
MechanisT
Account deleted
This one is absolutely right up my alley. I shall check them out asap.
Excellent review.
09.11.2011 - 20:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

No I think it has more to do with crossbreeding people and panda bears.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.11.2011 - 22:20
Ivor
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.11.2011 at 20:07

No I think it has more to do with crossbreeding people and panda bears.

Or, you know, it's Monty Python style. "This panda is no more. This is an X-Panda." And so on.

On the topic, though. X-Panda is indeed excellent stuff. Definitely one of the better albums this year. And I'm not just saying because they are from Estonia and play prog/fusion. Although, both help. The only thing they could have done better is use more vocals. The instrumentals are good by themselves, but with vocals this stuff sounds even better.

Oh, and excellent review, Mora! Keep it coming.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
09.11.2011 - 23:34
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Ivor on 09.11.2011 at 22:20

On the topic, though. X-Panda is indeed excellent stuff. Definitely one of the better albums this year. And I'm not just saying because they are from Estonia and play prog/fusion. Although, both help. The only thing they could have done better is use more vocals. The instrumentals are good by themselves, but with vocals this stuff sounds even better.

Oh, and excellent review, Mora! Keep it coming.

I.

Oh, yes, I couldn't agree more, but the limited use of vocals grants them a lot of unique points, there's a lot of purely instrumental bands, and an 80% of metal bands with vocals like to put an instrumental track or two on the album - rare are the ones who do it the other way around

Well I plan a couple of guest reviews... but this front page business is fun, way more feedback I hope I'll get the opportunity to do more of it!
----
10.11.2011 - 01:03
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
All this talk about the music and band name and no mention of this awesome cover art. Well, no mention of it aside from the end of your review.

Maybe people need a bigger version:

----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
10.11.2011 - 01:08
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.11.2011 at 01:03

All this talk about the music and band name and no mention of this awesome cover art. Well, no mention of it aside from the end of your review.

Maybe people need a bigger version:

Oh yes, the awesomeness that is this cover. I'd buy a beer for the dude who did this, though by the look of it I'd say he's more into sushi. That's a guy who DIDN'T draw stickmen on his art class for sure *ashamed*
----
10.11.2011 - 01:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Milena on 10.11.2011 at 01:08
Oh yes, the awesomeness that is this cover.

I love the concept. Open a fish, reveal a sky. With birds. That eat fish. With SPACE as a background.
----
10.11.2011 - 01:19
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.11.2011 at 01:10

I love the concept. Open a fish, reveal a sky. With birds. That eat fish. With SPACE as a background.

Space as a PLATTER. God, that would be the most awesome restaurant ever.
----
10.11.2011 - 08:29
Susan
Smeghead
Written by Milena on 10.11.2011 at 01:19

Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.11.2011 at 01:10

Space as a PLATTER. God, that would be the most awesome restaurant ever.

Ha! WAY cool

And thanks Troy for posting a larger version of the cover. That is damn amazing/trippy/clever/wonderful.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
10.11.2011 - 08:52
X-Panda

Members of X-Panda thank you all very muchfor your kind words!
The ones interested in what we are doing can join our facebook community: http://www.facebook.com/XPandaband
We will buy a beer for the cover art maker
10.11.2011 - 10:29
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by X-Panda on 10.11.2011 at 08:52

We will buy a beer for the cover art maker

You do that. See if you can make him do the next one too
----
10.01.2012 - 21:01
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
Great album and awesome review. Thanks for leading me to this!
10.01.2012 - 21:16
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by BaneConall on 10.01.2012 at 21:01

Great album and awesome review. Thanks for leading me to this!

No prob dude!
----
14.08.2016 - 04:09
Metren
Dreadrealm
This was and still is one of the best prog albums in a long time. And I am not just saying that because their guitarist is my guitar teacher
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/

Hits total: 7563 | This month: 10