Release date: April 2011

01. Hour Of Reprisal
02. Destroyer Of Solace
03. Obsessions Now Effigies
04. Unplenitude
05. To Grieve Forever
06. Saturn And Sacrifice
07. Finality

Cute, fuzzy, fluffy animals are just adorable. Don't you just want to snuggle them, pet them, cook them alive and play with them all the time? You do? Good news for you then, because this album is almost a sonic equivalent of a fluffy baby panda that begs to be snuggled with.

Alright, before I get torn alive by fans, allow me to explain myself. While Heaven Wept used to play doom, and not of that depressive/crushing variety. No, their albums had a grandiose, epic feeling which few could rival. While I personally couldn't enjoy it too much, I've always admired the almost spotless songwriting that managed to make those albums sound truly majestic without being forced or cheesy. Sadly, that is not the case with Fear of Infinity.

The first four tracks might hit you as quite a surprise, considering the fact that Fear of Infinity is for some reason labeled "doom", when in fact the first 14 minutes are ye olde slightly slowed power metal, in all of its cheesiness and bombastic glory. Of course, one might think this should be no surprise: after all, progressive and power were some of the key elements in this band's sound in the past. However, nothing prepared me for the shower of liquid cheese those tracks poured down on me. Grandiose symphonics, theatrical vocals and thundering riffs are all flawlessly executed, and I suppose they're a small piece of heaven for those who dig this kind of sound. But to me, While Heaven Wept lost that special skill with which they made epic, yet not over-forced and melodramatic music.

After the initial disappointment, "To Grieve Forever" and "Saturn And Silence" continue going down a similar path: these two are basically a slowed version of the previous tracks, which is to say, they're pretty much annoying power ballads which have always been a huge pain for me to listen to. "Finality" is the only one I properly enjoyed: its 11 minute length allowed the track to properly start, develop and climax, as opposed to the other ones which sound awfully rushed most of the time. Regarding this little fact, I imagine most tracks have far more potential than they show. Alas, before giving everything they can, their insufficient duration makes them fizzle out and leave a gap where a proper climax should have been.

I suppose I could write about how the songwriting itself is more simplified than their previous records, or about how majestic those vocals sound when paired with the uplifting instrumental melodies and harmonies - but there is no need. All that needs to be said is that Fear of Infinity is an album piss-packed with energy and bright colors (albeit rushed): without a doubt a treat for fans of similar music, yet the omnipresent feeling of "Y U SO DAMN FLUFFY, BRAH?!?" will keep me and others who share my opinion away.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 6
Production: 9

Written by Slayer666 | 10.11.2011

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 96 users
10.11.2011 - 21:24
Milena
gloom cookie
Well, if all doom was like them, there wouldn't be need for a separate genre in the first place. But I think the previous one was also forced and overdramatic, and though I hate that stuff, I quite admired it.
----
7.0 means the album is good
11.11.2011 - 19:34
Hammer34

There's a lot I like about this band, just can't connect with the vocals . . . I think they've two different guys over their career if I'm not mistaken, but they both a) had this kind of musical theater style of singing that to me just doesn't fit the music, and b) just weren't that good/accomplished singers. With the right voice, I probably would really dig this band, but that's always deal breaker when I listen to their stuff and try to get into them.
11.11.2011 - 20:08
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Hammer34 on 11.11.2011 at 19:34
There's a lot I like about this band, just can't connect with the vocals.

The vocals were the biggest turnoff for me too. Not that I have a problem with theatrical clean vocals - after all, I'm a huge fan of Messiah Marcolin. But here the vocals seem out of place, and the music is a little too cheesy for the kind of doom I like.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.11.2011 - 22:22
Rating: 10
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.11.2011 at 20:08

But here the vocals seem out of place,

It is just quite the contrary =).
14.11.2011 - 01:00
Rating: 8
R'Vannith
ghedengi
"ye olde slightly slowed power metal" Nice description. I enjoyed this album, though I can see why others wouldn't like it if Power metal isn't their thing. Good review, although 'fluffy' might be a bit of an exaggeration.
14.11.2011 - 03:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I think fluffy is actually a perfect word to describe this album. In fact I'm pretty sure I remember saying that in either the album thread or maybe in another review thread somewhere.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.02.2014 - 23:02
Rating: 6
Doge of Venice

I would agree. This album has little to no bite at all. And the synth sound is just too... warm.
22.02.2015 - 00:05
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
5? haha. Solid 8 for me I think.

Hits total: 6630 | This month: 11