03. Lifeless
04. Census Blank
05. Alone
06. Die Miserable
07. A Cowards Existence
08. 95
09. Power Violent
10. Inside Out [feat. Elliot Desgagnés] [deluxe iTunes bonus]

Grindcore is a challenging genre it's own way. Beyond the largely inaccessible ferocity it takes a certain amount of patience to be able to distinguish bands a part, picking out the flash-quick riffs that stand out in their own ironically subtle way (admittedly, something I'm just learning to do myself.) Sometimes though, something just connects. There's nothing too tangible about what it is they're doing right, but Fuck The Facts really hit the nail on the head with Die Miserable.

They do the whole noise/grindcore genre justice with this one, once again not being a band that's not doing anything totally groundbreaking, but just pumping out something solid from start to finish. It's abrasive, jagged and furious as one could hope for. It's just an album that shows how to tastefully present the riffs. The right riffs are pronounced at the right parts, balancing out the top-speed rhythm with the needling leads. It's certainly not a boring album by any means, either. A lot of bands seem to try and create excitement from being frantically erratic, which is fine for a while, but the excitement is quite obviously only experienced by the performer by the end. Fuck The Facts knows when to dial the speed back a bit for a few touches of some cold, almost post-sounding slightly atmospheric bits. I'm hesitant to let go of words like "slightly" and "almost" when describing these segments, as they never fully submerge themselves into this state of ambiance; they hold onto the crushing, brutal overtone consistently throughout the album.

Die Miserable is still very much akin to a lot of grind in one sense; the album sounds great as a whole, but individual songs do tend to blend into one another. A fine thing, when your listening to the album straight through, but Fuck The Facts are quite clearly attempting to deliver each song with it's own personality, something they fail to do a lot of the times. That being said, the band itself has it's own character, something that's difficult to achieve in this genre, especially to the untrained ear. Perhaps we can chalk this one up as a great grind album for those inexperienced with grind.

Written on 11.11.2011 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 129 users
12.11.2011 - 00:20
Rating: 8
Rulatore

I liked the first half of the album, the second was kinda boring. Nice review
12.11.2011 - 10:42
Rating: 8
Absak

The most interesting grind album of the year, to say the least. Very deserving of the score you gave it.
12.11.2011 - 13:42
silenius

Grind album of the year so far for me, love it to bits!
13.11.2011 - 21:40
Edmund Fogg

Saw them live a couple of times. They didn't appeal to me at all. Maybe if I listen to a studio album instead, I'll see structure and actual songwritting. Don't know if i'll bother thought. To me Grind is meant to be use as a spice, to add something more to the mix. Not as a stand alone genre, but maybe that's just me.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
09.12.2011 - 06:46
AngelCorpse13

I have the distinct feeling based on what I've heard from this release so far that it gets 'boring' at "Alone" on. But either way this band impresses again and again at least to me so hopefully my assumptions are wrong.
17.01.2012 - 14:57
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Elliot's on here! I need to own this!
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS

Hits total: 4915 | This month: 6