04. Hopes
05. It
06. Light
07. Incongruous
08. Pedestal
09. Grief
10. Damages
11. Unheard

Incongruous...The only thing really all that incongruous about Incongruous is the album title itself. Frankly, this album sits in a happy safe place of incredibly predictable technical death metal.

Let it be clear; this band is very talented. They've got the incredible chops, a good ear for that frantic, jagged brutality, and all the other basics you need for a good brutal tech-death band. What does it all add up to? Not a whole lot. Sure, there is a few pretty unique riffs scattered throughout Incongruous, but not nearly enough to make it worth sitting through the entirety. This is Beneath The Massacre's 3rd album, you'd think perhaps by now they'd be open to performing a few curve-balls here and there. Think it's impossible to record a brutal album that's still unique, without having to compromise the music? Think again; Avicularia did it, with their debut no less. It's been proven possible, yet only a select few try it.

This is just basic. It charges in all the right places, has all the *meedley-meedley* bits in the right place. Everything is right where you'd expect to find it. Everything is pristine, well timed and perfectly executed. It's flawless in a sense; if someone said "show me death metal", and you wanted to show them some generic stuff to give them an appropriate image of what death metal is, then yeah, you could say this is flawless. Unfortunately, there is no sense of menace in predictability, and Incongruous epitomizes predictability. How good can a death metal album be without a bit of menace?

Terrible? Nah. Just predictable and flavourless.

Written on 17.02.2012 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 2   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 141 users
17.02.2012 - 14:40
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Hmm, I really liked "Left Hand"...

I'm still going tocheck this out, it's on sale at my local HMV
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
17.02.2012 - 23:54
SilentScream
Blasphemer
I like the band quite a bit but I agree. Really nothing wrong with this release other then the fact that there isn't anything new.

Hits total: 5791 | This month: 3