01. No Place For Hope
02. Dreams In Monochrome
03. This Complete Solitude
04. One Last Dress For One Last Journey
05. All I Will Leave Behind
06. The Wanderer
07. Further Away The Light
08. Gloomy Garden

If there were a "starter album" for extreme doom, not necessarily the best, but perhaps the most accessible, Evadne's latest might be on a short list.

The Shortest Way is perhaps most amusingly named given the band were talking about their upcoming release at the 2010 installment of Dutch Doom Days.
A scant two years later, we have Evadne's The Shortest Way.

The sound is pretty much impeccable. When you have Dan Swanö twiddling the knobs, it all but guarantees a certain professional level of sound quality. The whole dynamic package of the album - ranging from clean tones and vox with symphonic/keyboard swathed passages to doomish onslaught of growls, distortion and power chords sounds absolutely wonderful.

The band are indeed talented and have created a really good follow-up to The 13th Condition. They do display a grasp of both the tenets of doom (slow, crush, growl, distort, punish the listener) as well as the importance of dynamic song construction. Don't sit on any one thing too long. Switch things up every once in a while. Buck the tempo. Toss in clean elements. Incorporate female clean vocals to counter the growls.

The strength of this album is also perhaps its key drawback in preventing a higher rating.

The sound is so swell that it almost detracts from the music. Doom is based on evoking negative emotions, with the more extreme the doom, the more extreme the mood and presentation. The Mary Poppins "a spoonful of sugar helps the doom go down" approach perhaps acts to mute the impact. It doesn't go quite as far as While Heaven Wept's "mocha frappucino" girlie drink coffee, but "one lump plus two" makes it more accessible to those outside the Marcel Kool Doom Kids Klub ? and perhaps too saccharine for some inside.

But that's nitpicking, really. While it won't auto-kill all plant life in 10 meters upon hitting play like other extreme dewm acts, it perhaps is likely to lull the listener with sugar-sweetness and thus infects them with doomabetes and possibly heart disease as well.

That's a good thing, amirite?

It's a good listen, and especially so for those looking for a gateway drug to more punishing and harsh doom.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 29.05.2012 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 135 users
30.05.2012 - 09:40
Susan
Smeghead
elite
I love doom but have had little love for "extreme doom" over the years. This album just shot to the top of my list for that exact reason. I do feel like I've been missing out, but the few bands that I've tried I just can't get into. We'll see if "a spoonful of sugar helps the doom go down" indeed. Very funny
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
30.05.2012 - 18:40
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I have never really gotten into doom, maybe this will be the path i should take. I'll YT some tracks when I get home. Nice review
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
31.05.2012 - 10:52
Rating: 8
Ag Fox
Angel No More
elite
Where's that "auto-kill all plant life in 10 meters upon hitting play" album? lol
great review as usual
----
loves 小巫
01.06.2012 - 11:18
Bit disappointed by this... a patchy affair, but it has some memorable songs on it. Shame there is not much consistency in the overall songwriting.
02.06.2012 - 06:03
Rating: 8
Chobo_jokeR
Good review and good album. Nothing ground breaking, just a really enjoyable listen.
02.08.2012 - 17:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Recieved the album today. And it is a very enjoyable album which sounds MASSIVE. That massiveness is as massive as Ophis' Witheresd Shades. I was surprised at how massive it sounded but then remembered Swano mixed and mastered it all.

And let me guarantee you, Craig, this album is not too saccharine for those inside Marcel Kool Doom Kids Klub But then again even While Heaven Wept isn't too saccharine for those inside
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.12.2012 - 21:45
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.08.2012 at 17:44

Recieved the album today. And it is a very enjoyable album which sounds MASSIVE. That massiveness is as massive as Ophis' Witheresd Shades. I was surprised at how massive it sounded but then remembered Swano mixed and mastered it all.

So massive

Hits total: 4784 | This month: 8