04. Love
05. A Sight To Behold
06. The Art Of Dying
07. Drum Solo
08. Clone
09. Flying Whales
10. Toxic Garbage Island
11. Vacuity

This album is essentially Gojira in a box, one which is tightly and neatly packaged for your convenience. There is little room for maneuvering yet it has sides strong enough to withstand the onslaught of chugging riff savagery contained within. Where previous albums such as From Mars To Sirius were more sprawling affairs this is by far more concise in sound. It is a precise taming of that ear denting chaos the band has exhibited in previous efforts.

Unfortunately this means a great withdrawal from the progressive aspect to their sound. While remaining technically proficient there is a tendency to overemphasise their primary asset; the thrash fueled and technical guitar work is extremely concentrated and is often too controlled to move freely. This impedes considerably on how frequent and fluent the shifts in sound are and there is a narrow scope within which to create flow in the music. Track length places an added emphasis upon this, and in the confined space the vocals are brought to the forefront. The album hammers on in a relentlessly linear manner despite all the clever techniques such as the intricate picking, palm muting and chord sliding and can really be overbearing. Transitional components are frequent but are often re-utilised in a similar manner to give precedence to a continuous and, at times, repetitive slew of well performed guitar work.

Gojira seem more complacent to restrain the progressive elements and obey a more typically defined death structured metal album, by their own standards at least. For some this will prove disappointing yet it doesn't stray from their own unique sound, it is simply a focused rendering of what the band sees as the primary assets within their compositions.

There are however some moments reminiscent of a less honed meandering characteristic of previous albums, such as the second half of the first track "Explosia" or the enveloping "Mouth of Kala". "Born In Winter" in particular, a deceptive and subtly brilliant track centered on the vocals of Joe Duplantier, bears a resemblance to the prior tendency to inject a more gradual sliding change in chords. Embellished with a stunning chorus this song is considerably different to the way in which the rest of this album is constructed.

Though not immediately obvious it is the drum work, above all, which gives this album its satisfying consistency. While the guitars take precedence the drums handled by Mario Duplantier are excellently well utilised within the song writing to liven the sometimes overbearing lack of variation.

The band seems to have a very direct approach in this effort and it shows. Everything is adrenaline pumping about the tight song writing which is inclined to a familiar medium pace. Yet the album as an entirety sounds a little stagnant and diversity is sorely lacking.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 10.12.2012 by R'Vannith enjoys music, he's hoping you do too.

Guest review by
s7mon
Rating:
Gojira have marked their position on the map of great metal bands with two records: 2005's From Mars to Sirius and 2008's The Way of All Flesh. I consider myself a huge fan of the French commando and these two albums are among my all-time favorites. So you can imagine that my expectations were incredibly high and I expected something absolutely out of this world with Gojira's fifth full-length. And probably this is one of the reasons I found this album to be just?decent.

Read more ››
published 08.12.2012 | Comments (6)

Guest review by
Desha
Rating:
N/A
Prior to 2008's The Way Of All Flesh, Gojira could almost be called a gimmick band. Get a super heavy riff, make it catchy but fuck with it just a little so as to feel fresh and interesting, have some great drumming underneath, add a little quirky touch, done is your Gojira record.

Read more ››
published 26.02.2020 | Comments (2)

Comments

Comments: 30   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 375 users
10.12.2012 - 14:05
xxxAtticusxxx

IDIOTS who rates this shit U give Evoken a 9.1 and this 7.7 i dont think ppl on this website know what good metal is sometimes
10.12.2012 - 14:31
Saiyanity

I agree with pretty much everything you said. From Mars To Sirius and The Way Of All Flesh are two of my favorite metal albums so naturally I was pretty disappointed in this album, finding it hard to even listen to the whole thing in one sitting and rather sticking to 5 or 6 songs.

Great review too, well written and it sums up the albums qualities and flaws perfectly. Enjoyed reading it.
10.12.2012 - 14:46
Rating: 8
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Excellent review, your writing doesn't cease to impress. This is exactly how I felt about the album, though not bad I listened to it a couple of times and that was enough...
10.12.2012 - 15:28
Stoned Crow

Written by xxxAtticusxxx on 10.12.2012 at 14:05

IDIOTS who rates this shit U give Evoken a 9.1 and this 7.7 i dont think ppl on this website know what good metal is sometimes

Very unfair to R'Vannith, being Apothecary reviewed Evoken and gave it a 9.1. With that being said, L'Enfant Sauvage is a good album, and the 7.7 is actually a bit generous. Evoken- a 50 ton boulder dropped on you, Gorija- pelting you with 100,000 little rocks. They are different. But Atra Mors is far from "bad" metal.
----
I'm very serious about not being serious.
10.12.2012 - 16:30
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Thanks for the kind words guys. I must be an idiot for having an opinion on an album completely unrelated to Evoken.
10.12.2012 - 17:07
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Quote:
While the guitars take precedence the drums handled by Mario Duplantier are excellently well utilised within the song writing to liven the sometimes overbearing lack of variation

The band seems to have a very direct approach in this effort and it shows. Everything is adrenaline pumping about the tight song writing which is inclined to a familiar medium pace. Yet the album as an entirety sounds a little stagnant and diversity is sorely lacking.

This!
Nice review.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
10.12.2012 - 18:12
DahliaRock

y u fuk no shit like goddam idiot fukin gojira iz ballz u mad should be 8.1 butt u sux and no metul \m/ lissen heer u scumbag reviuw it again! k thx bai..

seriously.. get a friggin life.. it's called a "review" not "write what I feel or I condemn you to hell".. this is why the world sucks most of the time, thanks to many people like you
10.12.2012 - 21:09
schizodelight

Written by Stoned Crow on 10.12.2012 at 15:28

Very unfair to R'Vannith, being Apothecary reviewed Evoken and gave it a 9.1. With that being said, L'Enfant Sauvage is a good album, and the 7.7 is actually a bit generous. Evoken- a 50 ton boulder dropped on you, Gorija- pelting you with 100,000 little rocks. They are different. But Atra Mors is far from "bad" metal.

/clap
You said it exactly how I was thinking.
----
Prepare for unforeseen consequences.
10.12.2012 - 21:53
Italics

Gojira is overrated as all hell
----
But I Justify My Desire to No One
11.12.2012 - 13:09
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Italics on 10.12.2012 at 21:53

They are renowned for qualities that they failed to present in their entirety and full capacity in this release. I wouldn't judge the band based it. If you have heard their older releases and cannot appreciate them, that is personal opinion, similar to how I might consider Nile overrated despite that they are quality for the genre.
11.12.2012 - 14:21
Illog1cal
Account deleted

7.7 is not a bad score at all. Its a great score.
11.12.2012 - 14:22
Illog1cal
Account deleted
Written by Italics on 10.12.2012 at 21:53

Overrated perhaps, but still a great band.
11.12.2012 - 14:37
Karcas

I think the reviewer should not have done this one. clearly not his area ( Anathema weather album 9 ? and Meshuggah Koloss 6 !?!?!?! and apparently he doesn't listen to SYL at all). again not his genre not his style ofc he doesn't like it.

anyways i agree its a bit different album and its not as deeply expressive as the previous ones. but 7.7 !?!? come on . it is still a very strong and unique metal album. go ask Devin Townsend about it
11.12.2012 - 14:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Karcas on 11.12.2012 at 14:37

I think the reviewer should not have done this one. clearly not his area ( Anathema weather album 9 ? and Meshuggah Koloss 6 !?!?!?! and apparently he doesn't listen to SYL at all). again not his genre not his style ofc he doesn't like it.

anyways i agree its a bit different album and its not as deeply expressive as the previous ones. but 7.7 !?!? come on . it is still a very strong and unique metal album. go ask Devin Townsend about it

7.7 meaning he doesn't like it? FFS a 7.7 means he thinks it's a very good album.
And so what if Devin Townsend thinks this album is the best thing since the invention of sliced bread, the guy isn't infallable, you know, he recorded some great music but also loads of very mediocre stuff. And eevn if he had only recorded brilliant stuff it doen't make his opinion on this album any more worthy than the reviewer's or your's or mine.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.12.2012 - 14:59
R'Vannith
ghedengi

I do like it, hence the positive score. And I fail to see how my ratings for those particular albums there have any bearing on my ability to pass judgement upon this particular album. If you find anything you disagree with in my review I'm more than happy to discuss it. Simply telling me that the way I've rated other albums somehow devalues my opinion about Gojira isn't going to cut it though.
11.12.2012 - 15:56
Death_Metallus

Gojira is not a death metal band... Plus less complexity in the structure doesn't mean they sound more death metal, on the contrary, I would say it sounds like more generic metal like, per say, Lamb Of God or Machine Head. In my opinion, their first three albums were more complex and closer to something like death metal. So you can't say this album is a "typically defined death structured metal album", because it's not. Simple doesn't mean extreme and extreme doesn't mean simple. Furthermore, death metal and progressive metal are not incompatible. Check out Atrocity's Todessehnsucht for example...

A well-written review, indeed.
11.12.2012 - 16:06
Rating: 6
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
I found this album to be bland and extremely boring. It sounds like a collection of rejected "TWOAF" songs.
11.12.2012 - 16:16
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Death_Metallus on 11.12.2012 at 15:56

Gojira is not a death metal band... Plus less complexity in the structure doesn't mean they sound more death metal, on the contrary, I would say it sounds like more generic metal like, per say, Lamb Of God or Machine Head. In my opinion, their first three albums were more complex and closer to something like death metal. So you can't say this album is a "typically defined death structured metal album", because it's not. Simple doesn't mean extreme and extreme doesn't mean simple. Furthermore, death metal and progressive metal are not incompatible. Check out Atrocity's Todessehnsucht for example...

A well-written review, indeed.

Thanks. You'll notice I say that it is more typically death structured "by their own standards." I would still consider there to be quite some difference between a more stylistically standard death metal release and this album. My basis for saying it seems closer to death metal by their own standards is based on the fact that they are themselves one of those examples of progressive and death metal being compatible. So it's only logical from my perspective when I noticed that they seem to tone down the progressive elements and that it all leans closer toward the death metal side of things.

I don't hear a sound similar to either of those bands (Lamb of God and Machine Head), though admittedly I'm not overly familiar with them. I wasn't saying that it is any simpler of an album, one might argue that its even more complex in technical terms. I wouldn't though as I think where they involve more of a progressive sound in their music it gives them ample scope within which to flesh out that technical aspect.
12.12.2012 - 21:54
Godless Visions

Great review. I can't wait to share my thoughts on the album on next week's Visions... spoiler alert - it's our top 10 metal albums of the year show.
There's a strong tendency, and I do this too, to talk about a great album by pointing out its blemishes. It's Cindy Crawford's mole. I think this review is guilty of a certain amount of focusing on Cindy Crawford's mole. The truth of the matter is I would bang the living shit out of Cindy Crawford, and I would lick her mole, and it would be a great day. But the day after, I'm probably still talking about that weird-ass mole she has.
Gojira's L'Enfant Sauvage has a great ass.
----
--
Visions From the Darkside
The greatest extreme metal talk show of all time.
http://soundcloud.com/nocontrolradio
www.nocontrolradio.com
13.12.2012 - 12:34
Karcas

Written by R'Vannith on 11.12.2012 at 14:59

I do like it, hence the positive score. And I fail to see how my ratings for those particular albums there have any bearing on my ability to pass judgement upon this particular album. If you find anything you disagree with in my review I'm more than happy to discuss it. Simply telling me that the way I've rated other albums somehow devalues my opinion about Gojira isn't going to cut it though.

it doesn't have any bearing on your ability but on your standards. music can be the most abstract tool for humans to express feelings and things that they dont even understand. so Judging it specially from the technical aspect is like expressing feelings for a pc sofware algorithm.

p.s. i really like you and respect you. cheers
14.12.2012 - 00:59
Rating: 7
Regolith

Well written and fair review. I could try to sound all smart here (key word, 'sound') with some of my own well-written banter, but I'll just say I expected more neck-breaking carnage from this one. With each new release from Gojira, I expect to have a concusion or at least some form head damage before the first song is through... not even a scratch yet.
18.12.2012 - 01:02
Godless Visions

Gojira's L'Enfant Sauvage is the metal album of the year.
Greatest metal album since Sepultura's Arise.
----
--
Visions From the Darkside
The greatest extreme metal talk show of all time.
http://soundcloud.com/nocontrolradio
www.nocontrolradio.com
20.03.2013 - 09:44
MR.Ayman

Week death metal week riifing and the idea of the riffs is very boring and gay riffs to my ears 3/10
20.03.2013 - 20:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by MR.Ayman on 20.03.2013 at 09:44

gay riffs

Dem gay riffs....
21.03.2013 - 14:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 20.03.2013 at 20:03

gay riffs

Dem gay riffs....

not only that but how the hell did Gojira manage to put a week's worth of death metal riffs on an album cloking in at 53 minutes. That is a hell of a lot of layers hahahaha

And relistening this weak album I have to admit the riffs are gay as in gay meaning happy
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.03.2013 - 14:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.03.2013 at 14:13

not only that but how the hell did Gojira manage to put a week's worth of death metal riffs on an album cloking in at 53 minutes. That is a hell of a lot of layers hahahaha

And relistening this weak album I have to admit the riffs are gay as in gay meaning happy

Well this album is nothing like a homosexual male, who are stereotypically flamboyant. This is more like an unhappily married accountant in his 50s.
22.03.2013 - 05:09
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Guest on 21.03.2013 at 14:30

Well this album is nothing like a homosexual male, who are stereotypically flamboyant. This is more like an unhappily married accountant in his 50s.

So it's likely to, at any moment, take off with a cheep blonde floozy in a red Ferrari purchased with all of it's life savings?
22.03.2013 - 11:49
Rating: 7
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by R'Vannith on 22.03.2013 at 05:09

Written by Guest on 21.03.2013 at 14:30

So it's likely to, at any moment, take off with a cheep blonde floozy in a red Ferrari purchased with all of it's life savings?

I never thought a discussion on this album would go in this direction but it's quite amusing and insightful.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
22.03.2013 - 12:33
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by R'Vannith on 22.03.2013 at 05:09

Yep, that'll be the next album. Gojira will put out some kind of sleazy sludge-grind record
31.03.2021 - 09:23
Rating: 9
Mehrad

Week death metal week riifing and the idea of the riffs is very boring and gay riffs to my ears 3/10

my IQ dropped severely after reading this bullshit comment
----
Ride a horse that's cleaving through the air and space of dreams.

Hits total: 8670 | This month: 11