Metal Storm logo
Unofficial sources for database edits

Original post

Posted by psykometal, 12.06.2013 - 10:17
It's been mentioned/discussed many times, all over Metal Storm, that unofficial sources are not acceptable when submitting/accepting edits to the band database. Yet I am still seeing several submissions/acceptances where sites like Metal Archives (of all sites!) and Wikipedia are still being used and accepted as the source for submissions/edits in Metal Storm's database. This needs to stop NOW!

Admittedly sites like Metal Archives and Wikipedia are great places for finding a starting point such as images, official site links or general album info. But even that info still needs to be verified using official sources to verify that what you "found" there is correct. If you can't verify all the info through the band's official sites then you can start turning to some alternative options. You can try checking the band's label site(s). In the case of albums, look them up on sites like Bandcamp, iTunes, Spotify, Amazon, etc.. You can try doing Google searches for news articles on sites like Blabbermouth, Metal Sucks, Metal Injection, Metal Underground, Brave Words/Bloody Knuckles, etc.. You can also try Google searching for band interviews.

It should be common knowledge by now, especially to people who have "earned" the permissions to submit edits without a Staff-check and those who can also accept other user's submissions, that places like MA have a tendency to be grossly inaccurate and loaded with bad info. So STOP submitting/accepting information with sites like MA or Wikipedia as the source! Otherwise I might decide to take away your ability to edit anything unchecked for a determinate amount of time.

Some very well known, AND UNACCEPTABLE, unofficial sites:
AllMusic
last.fm
Metal Archives
Metal Kingdom
Rate Your Music
Spirit Of Metal (which is practically a copy/paste of MA anyway)
Wikipedia
mikseri.net

One of the pride and joys that I and many others, before and alongside me, have had through the years is the pleasure of shaping Metal Storm's database into something different and unique instead of just a copy/paste of sites like Metal Archives and Wikipedia. We are vastly different and far more accurate and complete than Metal Archives or Wikipedia will ever be because we only submit/accept properly verified information. Each and every one of our Database Chiefs (myself included), and several other Staff and many of our Contributors, Elites, and Users have gone to great lengths to ensure that we are not just a copy/paste of Metal Archives and Wikipedia.

So please, help me and the rest of the Metal Storm Staff keep this database the most awesome, unique and accurate database for Metal (and related) music on the internet!
06.10.2016 - 17:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
He send it to me hahhahha fixing Crimson moon
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.10.2018 - 08:04
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
I don't know where my appeal should be posted, so hereby I'm appealing to all those "musicians" who add/edit information about your band without mentioning your "source".

Recently, I've seen many musicians adding info to our database without mentioning the "source". Although, it is deemed to be "accepted" as "musician" itself is trying to add the information about their respective bands, but guess what? They ended up adding wrong info which considered to be cross-checked from authentic links. Further, it becomes the source of dubiety and raises questions on the authenticity of submitted information.

If staff sheds some light, my suggestion would be to mention your "source" no matter who you are.
11.10.2018 - 13:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 11.10.2018 at 08:04

I don't know where my appeal should be posted, so hereby I'm appealing to all those "musicians" who add/edit information about your band without mentioning your "source".

Recently, I've seen many musicians adding info to our database without mentioning the "source". Although, it is deemed to be "accepted" as "musician" itself is trying to add the information about their respective bands, but guess what? They ended up adding wrong info which considered to be cross-checked from authentic links. Further, it becomes the source of dubiety and raises questions on the authenticity of submitted information.

If staff sheds some light, my suggestion would be to mention your "source" no matter who you are.

why did you tocck W-Lash avatar?
I always has said only + bands members should be able add bands, rest whit + bands check, we still have way to many erors and mistaces and I am sick n tired fix , I simply dont care.
Musicians should not have a source, why they lie about own band?
----

apos;'
[image]
11.10.2018 - 15:53
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos

Although, it is deemed to be "accepted" as "musician" itself is trying to add the information about their respective bands, but guess what? They ended up adding wrong info which considered to be cross-checked from authentic links.

Was it the musician who plays in the band? An actual band member? The yours truly?
In this case wouldn't it be right to assume the internet info that was the wrong one? Because... Why would one lie about his own band? I trust an info coming directly from the band more than any other source tbh
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
11.10.2018 - 18:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Karlabos on 11.10.2018 at 15:53

Although, it is deemed to be "accepted" as "musician" itself is trying to add the information about their respective bands, but guess what? They ended up adding wrong info which considered to be cross-checked from authentic links.

Was it the musician who plays in the band? An actual band member? The yours truly?
In this case wouldn't it be right to assume the internet info that was the wrong one? Because... Why would one lie about his own band? I trust an info coming directly from the band more than any other source tbh

Thats what I trie to say,,,
----

apos;'
[image]
12.10.2018 - 03:26
D.T. Metal

A source should be listed for everything which is not common knowledge or is reported by news sources. And while I agree that band members should know the history of their band... what I have seen a lot is that band members are editing OTHER bands w/o a source.

Soooo, for the record - even if you are member of the band you are editing; unless your edit is common knowledge, do give a source
12.10.2018 - 11:43
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by D.T. Metal on 12.10.2018 at 03:26

A source should be listed for everything which is not common knowledge or is reported by news sources. And while I agree that band members should know the history of their band... what I have seen a lot is that band members are editing OTHER bands w/o a source.

Soooo, for the record - even if you are member of the band you are editing; unless your edit is common knowledge, do give a source

Great.

Yes, sometimes bands members flunk in add/edit their own band's info by providing wrong data like musicians' information. They also ended up giving wrong data about their band's formation year too. I don't know why they do that, but if you cross-check it from, say, Facebook page -- it sometimes speaks differently.

I repeat, it happens "sometimes". Not all the time. So, therefore, whoever add/editing info to it must be mandatory to provide source(s) to prove the authenticity of your info.
12.10.2018 - 11:44
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Bad English on 11.10.2018 at 13:19

why did you tocck W-Lash avatar?

Cool.

Nah, I dragged that avatar from Google.
14.12.2018 - 22:32
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
The demand of a biography for making bands here visible is quite a hurdle to cross when it comes to anonymous black metal bands that just released the best album of the year.
15.12.2018 - 23:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 14.12.2018 at 22:32

The demand of a biography for making bands here visible is quite a hurdle to cross when it comes to anonymous black metal bands that just released the best album of the year.

you are living in a past, (even I would like to have that rule alive) , we dont need bio to make it nowadys, its like 3-4 years ago when Troy Joykill was here.
----

apos;'
[image]