Metal Storm logo
Unofficial sources for database edits

Original post

Posted by psykometal, 12.06.2013 - 10:17
It's been mentioned/discussed many times, all over Metal Storm, that unofficial sources are not acceptable when submitting/accepting edits to the band database. Yet I am still seeing several submissions/acceptances where sites like Metal Archives (of all sites!) and Wikipedia are still being used and accepted as the source for submissions/edits in Metal Storm's database. This needs to stop NOW!

Admittedly sites like Metal Archives and Wikipedia are great places for finding a starting point such as images, official site links or general album info. But even that info still needs to be verified using official sources to verify that what you "found" there is correct. If you can't verify all the info through the band's official sites then you can start turning to some alternative options. You can try checking the band's label site(s). In the case of albums, look them up on sites like Bandcamp, iTunes, Spotify, Amazon, etc.. You can try doing Google searches for news articles on sites like Blabbermouth, Metal Sucks, Metal Injection, Metal Underground, Brave Words/Bloody Knuckles, etc.. You can also try Google searching for band interviews.

It should be common knowledge by now, especially to people who have "earned" the permissions to submit edits without a Staff-check and those who can also accept other user's submissions, that places like MA have a tendency to be grossly inaccurate and loaded with bad info. So STOP submitting/accepting information with sites like MA or Wikipedia as the source! Otherwise I might decide to take away your ability to edit anything unchecked for a determinate amount of time.

Some very well known, AND UNACCEPTABLE, unofficial sites:
AllMusic
last.fm
Metal Archives
Metal Kingdom
Rate Your Music
Spirit Of Metal (which is practically a copy/paste of MA anyway)
Wikipedia
mikseri.net

One of the pride and joys that I and many others, before and alongside me, have had through the years is the pleasure of shaping Metal Storm's database into something different and unique instead of just a copy/paste of sites like Metal Archives and Wikipedia. We are vastly different and far more accurate and complete than Metal Archives or Wikipedia will ever be because we only submit/accept properly verified information. Each and every one of our Database Chiefs (myself included), and several other Staff and many of our Contributors, Elites, and Users have gone to great lengths to ensure that we are not just a copy/paste of Metal Archives and Wikipedia.

So please, help me and the rest of the Metal Storm Staff keep this database the most awesome, unique and accurate database for Metal (and related) music on the internet!
20.05.2014 - 15:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Another avidance why WE CAN NOT use wiki

Lita Ford

wiki (use to said) and also MS says .... Carmelita "Lita" Rossanna Ford
It is -- Lita Rossana Ford (eddited by me)

Video where she confirms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijJ0zduU0zo&index=13&list=PLvXmarOi5xICV0X4HfMH7S29EpvDpTQgd
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.06.2014 - 22:31
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Jesus, I can't seem to follow what's going on with this lyric thing...what's the consensus? Can we use unofficial sources?
13.06.2014 - 23:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by LeKiwi on 13.06.2014 at 22:31

Jesus, I can't seem to follow what's going on with this lyric thing...what's the consensus? Can we use unofficial sources?

read a psyho statement about it
----

apos;'
[image]
14.06.2014 - 01:32
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Bad English on 13.06.2014 at 23:00

I can't see anything that pertains to lyrics...
14.06.2014 - 01:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by LeKiwi on 14.06.2014 at 01:32

Written by Bad English on 13.06.2014 at 23:00

I can't see anything that pertains to lyrics...

page 2 or 3 ??

as far i remeber he said do it if lyric formath is good
----

apos;'
[image]
18.06.2014 - 05:13
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
With lyrics, it doesn't matter if the source is official because a lot of bands don't put lyrics on their official sites these days. As long as they're formatted properly and you yourself have actually verified the lyrics are good, then it's fine.

Really, if you're pulling from an unofficial place like darklyrics (for example), include a YouTube video or Bandcamp or SoundCloud link if they have one for the album to make it easy for the checker to verify the lyrics before accepting. Lyrics aren't that hard to verify since you can just listen and read to make sure they match.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

18.06.2014 - 05:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
It gets a little challenging with brutal death metal lyrics.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.06.2014 - 15:08
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
And depressive/suicidal black metal shrieking.
----

18.06.2014 - 15:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Or japanese kenjay or what it calls ... unless theys creams Samuray jakuza harakiri
----

apos;'
[image]
24.06.2014 - 13:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Hej ppl if you add a video --- like old prom video as metallica - Whiksy in the jar'' or Tankard - Minds oN The Moon

You dont need official source, since those old MTv1 , VH1 Classic videos are not mentioned in ny official souces , maybe wiki .. only what I remeber Iron maiden old home page ha dall prom vids, not now .. so YT as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6aaqQ6iR0c also do the trick, only if you can see video and see its official made video for promotions , in tose cases fan add YT video do thetrick as well
----

apos;'
[image]
19.08.2014 - 02:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Finnish members Array and Risto, or others
is Mikseri official band site or its just fan site
http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/band.php?band_id=3130&bandname=Roddick+Bleu

I wonder, does we can have this one here in the link, ?
----

apos;'
[image]
28.09.2014 - 20:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Tarnkappe/Tussen_Hun_En_De_Zon/389927

according to band int:

Max: I reviewed your first full-length record Tussen Hun En De Zon, which contains the same songs as your demo from last year. Why did you chose to re-release them in that way?

Nortfalke: Actually, there is no demo. Sabbath's fire decided to release our debut on tape. So there is no re-release. There is some false information going around. Anyway, we only mastered our debut for the LP/CD release by Hammerheart Records.

http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/interview.php?interview_id=711

such demo don't exist ... another reason to be sceptic whit MA
----

apos;'
[image]
28.09.2014 - 20:26
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 28.09.2014 at 20:01

according to band int:

Max: I reviewed your first full-length record Tussen Hun En De Zon, which contains the same songs as your demo from last year. Why did you chose to re-release them in that way?

Nortfalke: Actually, there is no demo. Sabbath's fire decided to release our debut on tape. So there is no re-release. There is some false information going around. Anyway, we only mastered our debut for the LP/CD release by Hammerheart Records.

Well, Nortfalke just said that it was released, just without the band's permission.

EDIT: From the looks of it, someone added it when it was announced without a release date, despite the fact that doing that is a bannable offense on MA (I edit MA as well)
28.09.2014 - 21:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 28.09.2014 at 20:26

Written by Bad English on 28.09.2014 at 20:01

according to band int:

Well, Nortfalke just said that it was released, just without the band's permission.

EDIT: From the looks of it, someone added it when it was announced without a release date, despite the fact that doing that is a bannable offense on MA (I edit MA as well)

MA is fan datebase, image MS be add band no staff acceptation ... I have seen maybe 20 mistaces where MA edits was use so ...
----

apos;'
[image]
28.09.2014 - 22:13
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 28.09.2014 at 21:37

MA is fan datebase, image MS be add band no staff acceptation ... I have seen maybe 20 mistaces where MA edits was use so ...

Actually you still need staff approval when you add a band and you need to make the entire profile yourself by hand as well as physical proof that they released music. A more efficient method then simply adding a band and forgetting about it Not to mention the fact that making mistakes results in a permaban. But yea, they're not infallible, but they have far fewer mistakes than this site.
28.09.2014 - 22:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 28.09.2014 at 22:13

Written by Bad English on 28.09.2014 at 21:37

Actually you still need staff approval when you add a band and you need to make the entire profile yourself by hand as well as physical proof that they released music. A more efficient method then simply adding a band and forgetting about it Not to mention the fact that making mistakes results in a permaban. But yea, they're not infallible, but they have far fewer mistakes than this site.

only staff can add a band, maybe contributors whit + add a band
I can do all only add a band, and visible zed it and add a genres to visible band and only admin can delete it
----

apos;'
[image]
28.09.2014 - 22:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
According to MA that band has no official sites, only what I can trust is BM ... since JN add it let he edit it , make some basic info
----

apos;'
[image]
28.09.2014 - 22:33
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 28.09.2014 at 22:24

I can do all only add a band, and visible zed it and add a genres to visible band and only admin can delete it

Well, if adding a band is so easy on MA, go ahead and add Deathday 666 to it.
28.09.2014 - 22:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 28.09.2014 at 22:33

Written by Bad English on 28.09.2014 at 22:24

Well, if adding a band is so easy on MA, go ahead and add Deathday 666 to it.

I have add maybe 2.3 bands in MA and 2 was rejected (after some times other fuck tard add it) don't remember names
I have added in MS 128 bands (what I don't remember) and now I need 99 999 points I have 6728 but when I will have 89 999 I need get like 10 000 per day to get it green for some time and hope that staff be blind and wont see it LOL

I have add in MA
Dusk
Mena Brinno
Serephim
----

apos;'
[image]
28.09.2014 - 22:54
Fearmeister
Account deleted
I think you just proved my point...
28.09.2014 - 23:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 28.09.2014 at 22:54

I think you just proved my point...

I wish get some bands on MS be easier as it is now, like Panzer (new super group) and The Skull for example
----

apos;'
[image]
08.10.2014 - 12:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Why we cant trust to MA

Charles Greywolf

Guy did edit his profile

Quote:
Source: http://www.powerwolf.net/2011/matthew-greywolf.htm http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Matthew_Greywolf/9936# http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerwolf
I haven't modified anything since I don't know how to correct this, but it seems that wikipedia and metal-archives agree that Matthew Greywolf is Benjamin Buss [http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/bandmember.php?member_id=2048] and therefore there's a duplicate. Powerwolf's official site doesn't mention Mathew's real name, but it mentions his birthday, which coincides with Benjamin's. The same case can be made for Charles Greywolf [http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/bandmember.php?member_id=9745] and David Vogt [http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/bandmember.php?member_id=18039], again with the same wiki, m-a and birthday arguments. The Stefan Gemballa [http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/bandmember.php?member_id=2049] and Stéfane Funèbre [http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/bandmember.php?member_id=9747] lacks the wikipedia and birthday arguments since he's an ex-member. I hope I made my case

My PM to him in facebook:
Quote:
Hi
I am sorry for bothering you, but I am from metalstorm.net (I AM NOT A STAFF member) but I do datebase edit
Can you confirm that your real name is David Vogt and you're same guy what is playing in Flowing Tears.
Metal archives says so but our site don't accept those edit since there are planty errors

Can you confirm it?
Otherwise we are duplications, same musician 2 profiles

any maybe you know same facts about Matthew Greywolf , Benjamin Buss

We will appreciate it

This is what he answered

Quote:
Hey.
No thats wrong. Also dont know Why metal archives is writing that....
Thanks for asking!
Have a nice day.
Charles
----

apos;'
[image]
09.11.2014 - 21:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Please don't edit old bios what has no bio source whit new official ones, many old bioes are from old home pages, myspace, don't add good bio because it has no source to FB one what is much smaller
I remember some bands I edit and bio as real at myspace , now some try add much weaker, less info bio just because it has OFFICIAL FB .... don't change old, old are staff checked and are good, but do this whit new , empty bands bios .... please
----

apos;'
[image]
09.11.2014 - 22:15
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Well, we do need up to date bios, so I would say, instead of don't add new bios add the new information to the old bios. I f a bio lists all info for a band up, say, 5 years ago, and the band's FB or Official website has information about the last 5 years, but not much before that, then just add the new info of the recent bio to the end of the old bio. this will allow us to retain bio info for bands in much greater detail.
----

09.11.2014 - 22:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by psykometal on 09.11.2014 at 22:15

Well, we do need up to date bios, so I would say, instead of don't add new bios add the new information to the old bios. I f a bio lists all info for a band up, say, 5 years ago, and the band's FB or Official website has information about the last 5 years, but not much before that, then just add the new info of the recent bio to the end of the old bio. this will allow us to retain bio info for bands in much greater detail.

update yes, not delete and re edd because its on FB
in such case leave old, update new one fresh one
----

apos;'
[image]
08.09.2016 - 10:32
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
If you mentioning "Album booklet" while submitting lyrics, please make sure it doesn't have any errors.

I've found lot of errors(spelling mistakes, too much "!!!", disarrangement of words and even words missing) and then have to check from links re-correcting them. If possible, also attach link(s) with so that perm user can go over and cross-check it.
08.09.2016 - 20:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 08.09.2016 at 10:32

If you mentioning "Album booklet" while submitting lyrics, please make sure it doesn't have any errors.

I've found lot of errors(spelling mistakes, too much "!!!", disarrangement of words and even words missing) and then have to check from links re-correcting them. If possible, also attach link(s) with so that perm user can go over and cross-check it.

how old lyrics you're talking about?
----

apos;'
[image]
08.09.2016 - 20:21
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Bad English on 08.09.2016 at 20:15

I'm talking about any lyrics been submitted with source given "Album booklet".
08.09.2016 - 20:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 08.09.2016 at 20:21

Written by Bad English on 08.09.2016 at 20:15

I'm talking about any lyrics been submitted with source given "Album booklet".

I have not seen such and if I do, reject basically if there are Aaaarhhh !!!!!!! so
But if things are Ok , acceptr, lyrics are not like so important
----

apos;'
[image]
06.10.2016 - 17:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Dimitrios Dorian

Well metal archives can also write that Bruce Dickinson sung in Zemial. That doesn't mean it's true.
In fact, there are many errors on that database.
Good thing to have people like you around.
----

apos;'
[image]