01. Out To The Sea
02. The Emergence
03. The Swarm
04. The Descent

The Best Melodeath / Extreme Power / Gothenburg Metal Album Of 2014
Top 20 albums of 2014: 2

Additional info
Recorded at Studio Korkeakoski.
Drums recorded at Studio SF Sound by Kimmo Perkkiö.
Other instruments recorded at Studio Korkeakoski by Teemu Aalto.

Mixed at Fascination Street Studios by André Alvinzi.
Mastered at Chartmakers by Svante Forsbäck.

Artwork by Wille Naukkarinen.

Tracks 2-4 on the second disc comes from the band's 2013 EP, Ephemeral.

Staff review by
R'Vannith
Rating:
With Insomnium no longer having the service of guitarist Ville Vänni and his replacement by Markus Vanhala, the lead guitarist of Omnium Gatherum, Shadows Of The Dying Sun presents the possibility of a merging of the titans, so to speak. However, their sixth full length studio effort is no less Insomnium in style and execution than what preceded it, which means we're granted yet another excellent album from this premier melodic death metal band.

Read more ››
published 23.04.2014 | Comments (42)

Found in 88 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 6

Comments: 158   Visited by: 2252 users
04.05.2014 - 00:40
Rating: 6
Erik M.
Written by Guest on 03.05.2014 at 00:39

Looks like someone is getting reported...

I hope so, but so far his votes hasn't been nuked. Total vote abuser, that guy.
04.05.2014 - 03:18
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
J Christ 8.8!?

This album is decent but seriously?
----
pewpew.. gotcha
04.05.2014 - 09:59
bodomhunter
Nice album .. another g8t MDM album released after Words of farewell 's "The black wild yonder'
04.05.2014 - 15:31
Rating: 8
Therapy?
So far a little less impressed than I hoped to be. Even though I am content with the continuous quality stuff they provide, I still silently hoped to see a bit more sound progression. It feels very similar to their last effort.

However, still a solid album. Across The Dark is still my all-time favourite though.
04.05.2014 - 17:10
Dinruth
Written by Reaper_Redeemer on 03.05.2014 at 01:31

Weakest Insomnium album.

It seems you still kind of like it, since you have given it a 7
04.05.2014 - 20:59
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Therapy? on 04.05.2014 at 15:31

So far a little less impressed than I hoped to be. Even though I am content with the continuous quality stuff they provide, I still silently hoped to see a bit more sound progression. It feels very similar to their last effort.

However, still a solid album. Across The Dark is still my all-time favourite though.

This is a regression if you ask me. Jamie Lannister could count the number of memorable riffs with his right...
04.05.2014 - 22:00
Kevorkian
Pleasantly surprised by the whole package. More memorable leads and better drumming, for starters. Plus, Niilo's vocals have gotten more intense, and while Ville's cleans are getting better, they're still not great, yet he partially makes up for this with some nice hooks (e.g. the chorus in Lose to Night).
04.05.2014 - 22:26
Rating: 9
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by LeKiwi on 04.05.2014 at 20:59

This is a regression if you ask me. Jamie Lannister could count the number of memorable riffs with his right...

Solidifies my point, they didn't beat the same formula to death. They'll probably win more fans over than lose thanks to this record. They debuted at #2 on the Finnish albums chart and you need a bit more than just the old fanboys for that feat.
04.05.2014 - 22:59
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Risto on 04.05.2014 at 22:26
Solidifies my point, they didn't beat the same formula to death. They'll probably win more fans over than lose thanks to this record. They debuted at #2 on the Finnish albums chart and you need a bit more than just the old fanboys for that feat.

Wait...what? Sure, it might be slightly different, but it lacks the quality usually present in all Insomnium records.
04.05.2014 - 23:53
Rating: 7
Reaper_Redeemer
Written by Dinruth on 04.05.2014 at 17:10

Written by Reaper_Redeemer on 03.05.2014 at 01:31

Weakest Insomnium album.

It seems you still kind of like it, since you have given it a 7

Couldn't refuse that had some good moments. But insomnium is my fav band, I considered most of the previous albums excellent works..
04.05.2014 - 23:58
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by LeKiwi on 04.05.2014 at 22:59

Wait...what? Sure, it might be slightly different, but it lacks the quality usually present in all Insomnium records.

This one doesn't rely on catchy riffing near as much as One For Sorrow did, getting away from that mindset is needed to appreciate this record. They changed the way Aleksi Munter came into the writing process, which apparently inspired Ville Friman out of his comfort zone to write songs like "Lose to Night", "Black Heart Rebellion" and the title track. With Markus joining the band, these were the ingredients for a much more atmospheric and varied album. Thinking of OFS, "Lay the Ghost to Rest" is probably closest to what this album compares to as a whole (and that's leaving out a number of songs).

This record challenges the listener a bit more because of all the nuances, and endures a crapton of spins.
05.05.2014 - 00:53
Vombatus
Potorro
I think I listened to 1 or 2 songs... I say "think" coz they were like every other Insomnium thing.

This kind of regurgitated melodeath is of no interest.
05.05.2014 - 02:03
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Risto on 04.05.2014 at 23:58

This one doesn't rely on catchy riffing near as much as One For Sorrow did, getting away from that mindset is needed to appreciate this record. They changed the way Aleksi Munter came into the writing process, which apparently inspired Ville Friman out of his comfort zone to write songs like "Lose to Night", "Black Heart Rebellion" and the title track. With Markus joining the band, these were the ingredients for a much more atmospheric and varied album. Thinking of OFS, "Lay the Ghost to Rest" is probably closest to what this album compares to as a whole (and that's leaving out a number of songs).

This record challenges the listener a bit more because of all the nuances, and endures a crapton of spins.

It's as simple as this: Insomnium = good melodies. This album, there were no decent melodies. This album, was a flop. I don't care if you take a shit and it spans the colours of the rainbow...if it smells like ass...I don't want it. Obviously that's an exaggeration because this album is decent.

Comparing this album to the style of "Lay The Ghost To Rest" only highlights its flaws. That track has some brilliantly written melodies of which there are hardly any on this album.

Edit: you also have to acknowledge that I'm saying this as a devout Insomnium fan - this is the band which lured me into extreme metal.
06.05.2014 - 17:12
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Good album, but a little bit overrated?
07.05.2014 - 00:39
Rating: 10
IronArkadius666
Pretty much perfect, I may have once said they needed to change but I take that back, they can keep releasing this.

With this and Agalloch and Equilibrium releasing their respective albums soon, this year could hopefully be a very good year for me.
07.05.2014 - 08:19
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
I wish I could share everyone's enthusiasm. It's quite good for me, but not ridiculously good as many here seem to be saying.
----
loves 小巫
08.05.2014 - 07:54
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by deadone on 07.05.2014 at 06:07
On first listening this is quite boring.

Will only get more boring with repeated listens I reckon...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.05.2014 - 08:00
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by deadone on 08.05.2014 at 07:57
There won't be repeat listens. There was nothing to draw me back to a second listening.

Fair point. These guys peaked half a decade ago anyway. Everything they've done since 2006 has been derivative of Above the Weeping World.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.05.2014 - 09:16
toxx
Supreme being
Is the older Insomnium albums as good as this one? First time I've heard it, and I enjoyed this album from beginning to end.
08.05.2014 - 09:26
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by toxx on 08.05.2014 at 09:16

Is the older Insomnium albums as good as this one? First time I've heard it, and I enjoyed this album from beginning to end.

They have a solid back-catalogue, and Above the Weeping World is one of the best records I've ever heard. No clean vocals but that is probably not an issue. Riffing is catchier and less atmospheric.
08.05.2014 - 10:26
toxx
Supreme being
Written by Risto on 08.05.2014 at 09:26

They have a solid back-catalogue, and Above the Weeping World is one of the best records I've ever heard. No clean vocals but that is probably not an issue. Riffing is catchier and less atmospheric.

Listening to it right now. Awesome!
08.05.2014 - 13:29
MHOE
After more than 20 or even 30 listens to this album, I am really enjoying it... It's a really solid album. But my previous opinion remains the same - not on par with the best work of Omnium Gatherum (Beyond, New world shadows) and Insomnium (Above the weeping world, Across the dark). Not far from that but not completely there. And yeah, I still find this mix of Omnium Gatherum and Insomnium signature sounds kind of mediocre... or predictable would be a better word?

Subjectively, I enjoy this album A LOT... But the more rational side of me would give this album a 7.5, or 8 at best.

The best songs of the Shadows of the dying sun era? Ephemeral EP :-D So buy the limited edition of Shadows of the dying sun for sure...
09.05.2014 - 02:16
Mattybu
Written by MHOE on 08.05.2014 at 13:29

Subjectively, I enjoy this album A LOT... But the more rational side of me would give this album a 7.5, or 8 at best.

You have listened to it 30 times already and would only give it an 8 at best?
09.05.2014 - 11:35
MHOE
Written by Mattybu on 09.05.2014 at 02:16

Written by MHOE on 08.05.2014 at 13:29

You have listened to it 30 times already and would only give it an 8 at best?

Yes... Maybe even more than 30 times. I have listened to the new Lacuna Coil album a lot as well and wouldn't give it more than a 6 or 7. :-)
09.05.2014 - 17:05
Mattybu
Written by MHOE on 09.05.2014 at 11:35

Yes... Maybe even more than 30 times. I have listened to the new Lacuna Coil album a lot as well and wouldn't give it more than a 6 or 7. :-)

Wow, that's quite a bit of time investment for that low of a score. Impressive Or maybe you just have too much time on your hands...
09.05.2014 - 23:39
MHOE
Written by Mattybu on 09.05.2014 at 17:05

Written by MHOE on 09.05.2014 at 11:35

Wow, that's quite a bit of time investment for that low of a score. Impressive Or maybe you just have too much time on your hands...

The second option si definitely correct recently... Though I would give a 10 only to a handful od CDs... and 9 is still a rather rare mark from myself. You know, 5 is average and 6 is already a GOOD effort... So to get a 9 or 10, it must be a real masterpiece IMHO. Lacuna Coil's recent album is simply good to nice and the recent from Insomnium is very very nice... But not perfect (Beyond) or absolutely awesome (Across the dark).
10.05.2014 - 09:36
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.05.2014 at 08:00

Fair point. These guys peaked half a decade ago anyway. Everything they've done since 2006 has been derivative of Above the Weeping World.

This.

There are literally only 2 tracks on the album that are any good: 'While We Sleep' & 'Black Heart Rebellion' which at least take a little, if very small, risk with the Insomnium sound and pull it off well. The rest is just a blur of boring watered down recycled tracks all topped off with the most cringeworthy chorus I've ever heard on the final track.

It seems Insomnium, and all melodeath for that matter, has been becoming more and more stale and uninspired lately and this album is pretty much a continuation of that trend.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
10.05.2014 - 10:35
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Seems like many are bashing on the band, became it sounds repetitive and they can't make something better that Above The Weeping World, well guess what. Both Since The Day It All Came Down and Above The Weeping World is so friggin good that it would be REALLY hard to pull off something better than these two.. I think this release was a pleasant surprise, the production is way better than on One for Sorrow, they use some good old elements, it sounds totally like Insomnium but with some fresh air added to it. If they continue to evolve I think we could have a really interesting album a couple of releases ahead
10.05.2014 - 10:46
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Does someone own the 2cs edition? I just wonder if Out To The Sea is on the first or second CD? I know the track listing here says it's on the second CD, but other places I've looked it says it's on the first CD..
10.05.2014 - 17:08
Coolingsrock
My vote changes with every listen initially thought it was to bland and boring with a few nice melodies but now it's getting REAL great. Went from a 6.5 to a 8.6 vote change. It moves up a notch on my list everyday.

Hits total: 52630 | This month: 81