05. Thrive
06. Primordial Sound
07. Arise
08. Ebb & Flow
09. The Parable

Guest review by
WayTooManyCDs
Rating:
We all know those metal bands that open up their albums with a beautiful instrumental track that you want to hear more of and then act like the song never existed on the rest of the album. But what if there was an album with an amazing opening instrumental and said amazing idea was expanded on throughout the entire rest of the album while also mixing in a bunch of that delicious progressive metal we hunger for? Well, rejoice, fellow traveler; you have reached the point you have been searching for.

Read more ››
published 27.06.2016 | Comments (0)

Found in 16 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 16   Visited by: 319 users
27.08.2014 - 05:28
copycat

I heard Language I: Intuition, can't get out of my head that Cynic feeling, nice track.
17.09.2014 - 06:54
Rating: 10
Dundamom

Absolutely love it, tracks 4-7 is a stretch of music that everyone should hear at least once.
02.10.2014 - 22:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I'm sure this band was deathcore at some point, but this album is light years away from it. Some kind of ambient / progressive metal thing. Sounds quite nice indeed.
03.10.2014 - 00:46
Rating: 9
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Guest on 02.10.2014 at 22:46

I'm sure this band was deathcore at some point, but this album is light years away from it. Some kind of ambient / progressive metal thing. Sounds quite nice indeed.

I actually quite enjoy Intrinsic as well. Seems like their sound has been maturing a ton with each release (aka; moving away from deathcore). Listening to this right now and I'm certain it will be my favorite of their's. Really pleasant stuff
03.10.2014 - 00:51
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Also the first 45 seconds of Language II are 45 fucking awesome seconds.
03.10.2014 - 00:52
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Alex F on 03.10.2014 at 00:46

I actually quite enjoy Intrinsic as well. Seems like their sound has been maturing a ton with each release (aka; moving away from deathcore). Listening to this right now and I'm certain it will be my favorite of their's. Really pleasant stuff

This is my first experience with them. I seem to be into this kind of thing at the moment though often bands tend to have overbearing vocals which put me right off. They seem to nail the balance here though.
03.10.2014 - 00:55
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Guest on 03.10.2014 at 00:52

This is my first experience with them. I seem to be into this kind of thing at the moment though often bands tend to have overbearing vocals which put me right off. They seem to nail the balance here though.

I'm not too sure you would enjoy their previous, but it's certainly worth a try if you really like this one (although don't expect anything quite on this level). And I have to agree that the vocals strike a very damn good balance that a lot of bands in this style tend to miss. Really glad I checked this out today, it's exactly what I was in the mood for.
03.10.2014 - 02:12
mz

Yeah listened to it last week and enjoyed it a lot. I really like this trend of soaking progressive metal with ambiance.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
04.12.2014 - 18:12
Rating: 6
Lethrokai

Funnily enough, this one's rather hit'n'miss for me. There are some really nice moments thrown in here, but I really don't like it when bands do the whole "super squeaky clean guitars with reverb for ambience" thing. Haven't been able to get into bands like Scale The Summit for that very reason, and there are some songs on this album (eg: Language I) that seem to be little more than that. I dunno, I guess I'm just not that big a fan of incredibly guitar-centric rock/metal in general.

That being said, there are some nice points on this album too, but I dunno...
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
04.12.2014 - 20:19
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Guest on 02.10.2014 at 22:46

Agree. I checked this album out after you posted it on your FB, and I also remember not liking anything by this band I've heard before, but this is really good.
09.12.2014 - 22:03
Rating: 10
Gelati

There's a remarkable depth and sincerity to it both conceptually and compositionally. After many many listens in all sorts of moods this is my album of the year. I just haven't found anything that captures me at all points like Language does. If you have any understanding/appreciation for modern jazz you'll quickly realize that this is more in that realm than it is in metal. Back when I first heard The Contortionist it was the track "Flourish" from their debut and while sounding all deathcore-y it had this serene section in the middle that was, simply put, magical. From that moment on I knew there was tremendous potential just waiting to be unlocked. "Intrinsic" was solid and relatively exploratory but it seems that they've finally unleashed that incredible beauty into a full length. I'll be writing a more detailed review but do yourself a favor and just soak this one in on its own. This one is already an all time favorite.
28.08.2015 - 21:13
opeth771

This is a fantastic album. Absolutely love it
07.11.2015 - 20:55
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
I have a new appreciation for this album after seeing them live last night. Haven't been able to stop listening to it since last night.
10.11.2015 - 05:05
Rating: 8
iMorphball

Written by BaneConall on 07.11.2015 at 20:55

I have a new appreciation for this album after seeing them live last night. Haven't been able to stop listening to it since last night.

Say them on the 4th, and they've had the same effect on me. I love this album.
07.08.2019 - 19:23
SebaRaven36

It was the deathcore and more progressive
02.05.2020 - 07:55
ickoriss

Good album is good.

Hits total: 6189 | This month: 24