Metal Storm logo
Gloryhammer

15.11.2014 - 18:38
Susan
Smeghead
The best cheesy power metal band of 2013. Seriously, AMAZING music and a purposeful cheesiness

Review of their kick-ass 2013 debut: http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=11824

Anyway, I just learned they're touring Europe (mostly Germany) with Shear next month! How awesome of a bill is that? Best part: they're calling it the "Unicorn Invasion of Europe!" This is fresh off their "Unicorn Invasion of Australia" tour this past spring I love how they embrace the cheese and don't take themselves too seriously.

----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
15.11.2014 - 19:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
One of bands which visual issue makes me not listen it but when I saw this video seems good PM, I just look at band info, song title album, good really good sound but prom pics makes me skip this one, and I don't know why ... seems like parody metal bands and I don't parody metal as Grawl, Lordi and any other ones.... even music is good, but I am not conservative (maybe I am) I some how like this one
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.11.2014 - 19:03
Susan
Smeghead
That's the thing: they're not parody. They just embrace the cheese
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
15.11.2014 - 19:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Susan on 15.11.2014 at 19:03

That's the thing: they're not parody. They just embrace the cheese

yes they are not, but promoting pc makes me think they are
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.11.2014 - 01:41
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Susan on 15.11.2014 at 18:38

This is fresh off their "Unicorn Invasion of Australia" tour this past spring

They were over here? I guess it shows how much attention metal gets here. Although if they didn't play in Brisbane or Gold Coast, the Queensland media would ignore them altogether anyway.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
29.11.2014 - 01:34
Mattybu

This band is awesome, and I'm glad you had the balls to give their debut 8.6 Susan. Angus McFife is probably my favourite song off the album.
01.12.2014 - 01:44
Susan
Smeghead
Written by Mattybu on 29.11.2014 at 01:34

This band is awesome, and I'm glad you had the balls to give their debut 8.6 Susan. Angus McFife is probably my favourite song off the album.

Thanks dude Their cheese + actual awesomeness was a huge breath of fresh air! Most power metal bands are one or the other it seems. Sometimes we just need both!!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
01.12.2014 - 07:16
Mattybu

Written by Susan on 01.12.2014 at 01:44

Written by Mattybu on 29.11.2014 at 01:34

Thanks dude Their cheese + actual awesomeness was a huge breath of fresh air! Most power metal bands are one or the other it seems. Sometimes we just need both!!

Yeah, I find it's similar with Alestorm too although I don't think that band is as tongue-in-cheek. You can be grim cynical metalhead about it or just enjoy it for what it is, catchy power metal played pretty well. I don't being overly serious with yourself is a good thing for (some) power metal in general but those 2 bands especially, helps to just enjoy them for what they are.
05.12.2014 - 09:55
Susan
Smeghead
Written by Mattybu on 01.12.2014 at 07:16

Yeah, I find it's similar with Alestorm too although I don't think that band is as tongue-in-cheek. You can be grim cynical metalhead about it or just enjoy it for what it is, catchy power metal played pretty well. I don't being overly serious with yourself is a good thing for (some) power metal in general but those 2 bands especially, helps to just enjoy them for what they are.

I hesitated about responded because I didn't want to get too far off topic So, I really despise Alestorm and other like minded bands. In my eyes, that's what "false metal" really is. It's cheap. It has no soul. It was recorded simply to sell records and leech a permanent support spot on tours. There is no music to share or story to tell. It's bandwagon-jumping to the HIGHEST degree.

Bands like Alestorm see a trend and exploit the cheapest, lowest part of it. They get a few tours and have a few laughs. That is it. They serve no purpose and take away from honest metal bands.

Gloryhammer is not like this at all. They are able to incorporate cheesy fantasy lyrics and fun music with honest metal. That's where the magic is!!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
05.12.2014 - 19:19
Mattybu

Written by Susan on 05.12.2014 at 09:55

I hesitated about responded because I didn't want to get too far off topic So, I really despise Alestorm and other like minded bands. In my eyes, that's what "false metal" really is. It's cheap. It has no soul. It was recorded simply to sell records and leech a permanent support spot on tours. There is no music to share or story to tell. It's bandwagon-jumping to the HIGHEST degree.

Bands like Alestorm see a trend and exploit the cheapest, lowest part of it. They get a few tours and have a few laughs. That is it. They serve no purpose and take away from honest metal bands.

Gloryhammer is not like this at all. They are able to incorporate cheesy fantasy lyrics and fun music with honest metal. That's where the magic is!!

Well I don't think it's really that off topic seeing as Gloryhammer was founded by one of the members of Alestorm (and sadly the thread isn't really bumpin' otherwise) To be totally honest, I don't think it's my place to judge an artist's intention, no matter what the sound of their music (from simpler power metal to any other "artsy" genre) but I will say I there are some bands I never get that feeling of "soul" from and Alestorm is one. Their stuff is decent IMO but you might be onto something cause it is lacking in that respect.

The soul factor for Gloryhammer is a little higher too, actually. I've always found their album to be head and shoulders above any Alestorm albums and it seems like there was some genuine love involved in it, which paid off.