04. Im Auge Des Sturms
05. Mach Dich Frei!
06. Mann Gegen Mensch
07. Reise Zum..
08. Finsterforst

Staff review by
Windrider
Rating:
It seems common now that the pagan genre directs its view onto modern themes and problems. The most popular examples include Varg or Equilibrium. And while mentioning those two, it's most convenient to change topic to the new Finsterforst album, which is best described by a mixture of the aforementioned bands. Mach Dich Frei is the fourth studio album of the neo-pagan warriors from the black forest, after which the band is named. And indeed, it is a worthy one.

Read more ››
published 19.02.2015 | Comments (4)

Guest review by
swatata
Rating:
Being a fan of some bands that have symphonic elements in them, I had to listen to the album Finsterforst came into 2015 with, titled Mach Dich Frei. With all lyrics in German I had a bit of trouble understanding their meaning but the musical part, splendidly, made me a bit emotional.

Read more ››
published 06.08.2015 | Comments (0)

Found in 22 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 17   Visited by: 389 users
27.01.2015 - 00:09
Rating: 9
Rulatore

What an awesome surprise
27.01.2015 - 00:26
Ilham
Giant robot
I'm wondering if pagan AND folk have to be both present to describe the band's sound.
27.01.2015 - 00:33
Zap
Written by Ilham on 27.01.2015 at 00:26

I'm wondering if pagan AND folk have to be both present to describe the band's sound.

Aren't they two different things though? I genuinely don't know.
27.01.2015 - 00:40
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Zap on 27.01.2015 at 00:33

Aren't they two different things though? I genuinely don't know.

They are, they refer to what kind of invisible man/culture they take their inspiration from, but it's lyrical. That leads to the stupid distinction between viking/pagan etc. Folk is the only legitimate music descriptive tag in my opinion.
27.01.2015 - 00:49
Zap
Written by Ilham on 27.01.2015 at 00:40

They are, they refer to what kind of invisible man/culture they take their inspiration from, but it's lyrical. That leads to the stupid distinction between viking/pagan etc. Folk is the only legitimate music descriptive tag in my opinion.

Fair enough. I never liked the "folk metal" tag to begin with actually. Two bands within the genre can sound vastly different based on what kind of folk it is they're mixing with metal. Melechesh doesn't sound anything like Primordial even though both bands are usually tagged black metal and folk metal.
27.01.2015 - 10:32
no one
Account deleted
Well if your a christian like me, i like to no whether there is pagan lyrics in my folk. I won't listen if there is.
27.01.2015 - 13:23
Rating: 10
Michaelis

Great album to start best 2015.
05.02.2015 - 13:03
hamG

If you ever wanted Moonsorrow to be a bit more folky I think you will enjoy this album.
20.02.2015 - 18:26
Rating: 8
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
I definitely hear the strong Moonsorrow comparison, right down the trademark accordion and overall atmosphere. It hurts my impression a bit as far as originality goes, but I also love this style, so it is somewhat balanced out by overall enjoyment. The addition of some heavy brass sections help it stand apart. It has a "boomier" symphonic edge that at times reaches closer to Septicflesh or Dimmu Borgir, but without losing focus on the folk epicenter. The guitar riffs and drumming don't slouch either with some decent hooks and a variety of pace. I was not expecting much going into this one, but left pleasantly surprised. Full review here.
Enjoyability=8.5
Musicianship=9
Innovation=7
Overall=8.5
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
02.03.2015 - 18:09
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Ilham on 27.01.2015 at 00:40

Ideally, there should be folk for each area of generalised culture on the Earth, e.g. Middle Eastern, Slavic, East Asian, etc. But I don't think anyone has the patience for that
02.03.2015 - 19:38
Stunning Cactus

Written by Guest on 27.01.2015 at 10:32

Well if your a christian like me, i like to no whether there is pagan lyrics in my folk. I won't listen if there is.

That's a pretty retarded reason not to listen to great music. You're not blaspheming by listening to music with lyrics of a different religion dude. Honestly - it surprises me that people are still so insecure in their own religion like this.

Anyhow, Rastlos was a pretty good spin, so I'm expecting to hear some more great material from this band.
02.03.2015 - 20:36
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Stunning Cactus on 02.03.2015 at 19:38

That's a pretty retarded reason not to listen to great music. You're not blaspheming by listening to music with lyrics of a different religion dude. Honestly - it surprises me that people are still so insecure in their own religion like this.

I'm going to be nice here and tell you the guy was joking.
02.03.2015 - 23:13
no one
Account deleted
Ruined it for me
02.03.2015 - 23:42
Stunning Cactus

Written by Ilham on 02.03.2015 at 20:36

Written by Stunning Cactus on 02.03.2015 at 19:38

I'm going to be nice here and tell you the guy was joking.

You're a saint. I have been successfully baited.

Well done, no one.
19.05.2015 - 08:46
sergiod0999

Mach Dich Frei
29.12.2015 - 22:05
Zyk

Darker and a little more straightforward than Rastlos. Although I think Rastlos is their best album, this was a great direction and it's one of the best albums I've heard this year. Pretty much everything is top notch: vocals, drums, guitars, and keyboards/accordions. The title track is thoroughly satisfying.
08.06.2018 - 21:28
MeatWolf

One of the best symphonic(/folk) albums I've ever heard. Colossal epicness with a shitton of details, flawless performance and an impeccable production.

Hits total: 7716 | This month: 16