Release date: April 2015

01. Synod
02. On The Edge
03. Reminder Of Pain
04. Low Mind Low Sense
05. Once Again
06. Forever The Queen
07. Hunt It Down

"Spanish bongs in Andalucia? Stoner jams rawk balls for 39" minutes*. Pardon the intro. If it makes sense to you, you earn dos puntos frescos. If not, be sure to check out The Clash? but only after getting sonically plowed by Santo Rostro.

Santo Rostro are back with their sophomore effort, II: The Bleed, a stoneriffic festival de riffs grande. SR are another Discos Macarras band that play metal the Motörhead way? dirty, ugly, and with big, brass cojones. In their case, it's big, ugly stoner doom.

Most of the tracks on the album are slow and grungy - the dirty sense, not flannel wearing heroin addict sense. The FogSombrero "slow ride" approach makes for some "take it easy" slow mo head banging. They got a groove, wah-drenched soli, and the soulful vocals are great to chill to. You know, if something with a Black Sabbath-vibe is your idea of chill.

With this in mind, when a song like "On The Edge" or "Low Mind Low Sense" lands it hits like a battering ram. A great burst to unload all your pent up energy and rage before grabbing another beer, go tranquilo, and drink to a "Reminder Of Pain."

So, at the end of the day, would I recommend you check this out?

A shake of the magic bola ocho says "Hunt It Down." Or just visit bandcamp.

*Roughly 39 minutes, just an easy way to tip my sombrero a friend's fave band. "Spanish bongs, yo te quiero infinito. Yo te acuerda? Oh mi corazón"

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 16.04.2015 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 87 users
16.04.2015 - 09:30
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I want to believe that you talk like that in real life.

Also, did you misspell cojones on purpose? Great review Craig. Definitely got me interested. Didn't know these guys at all.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
16.04.2015 - 16:05
Rating: 8
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.04.2015 at 09:30

Also, did you misspell cojones on purpose? Great review Craig. Definitely got me interested. Didn't know these guys at all.

spelling error was unintentional. I only intentionally botch French... just to annoy Collin.

As for how I speak, yeah... increasingly so, particularly when booze is involved. only with sporadic Russian thrown in, as sometimes it just slips out as being the first non-English word that fits the bill that pops into my head.

these guys are great. Ilham suggested their ST in the Stoner thread, bought it, and exchanged some emails with Discos Macarras. They sent a couple releases my way (Memest, Iron Fist), and I've picked up a couple more on my own, including this and Tort. Really dig most the stuff I've checked out from them.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.04.2015 - 01:05
Ilham
Giant robot
Cool, relieved to hear it's good, and it's nice to see the band reviewed, thanks. If you had to compare the first impressions you had of both their albums, how did this one do compared to the other?
17.04.2015 - 02:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.04.2015 at 09:30

you know some ppl thought Is peak English as I write .. but they were disappointed
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.04.2015 - 02:30
Rating: 8
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Ilham on 17.04.2015 at 01:05

Cool, relieved to hear it's good, and it's nice to see the band reviewed, thanks. If you had to compare the first impressions you had of both their albums, how did this one do compared to the other?

truthfully, it's a toss up. liked both pretty much equally. both are similar in style, approach, sound.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!

Hits total: 3438 | This month: 11