Album: Hammer Of The Witches
Style: Extreme gothic metal, Symphonic metal
Release date: July 2015

01. Walpurgis Eve
02. Yours Immortally...
03. Enshrined In Crematoria
04. Deflowering The Maidenhead, Displeasuring The Goddess
05. Blackest Magick In Practice
06. The Monstrous Sabbat (Summoning The Coven)
07. Hammer Of The Witches
08. Right Wing Of The Garden Triptych
09. The Vampyre At My Side
10. Onward Christian Soldiers
11. Blooding The Hounds Of Hell
12. King Of The Woods [bonus]
13. Misericord [bonus]

It must be tough to be Dani Filth right now. The voice of your early career has left you and the one thing you can still properly sing is some gentle gothic metal as last seen on the Godspeed On The Devil's Thunder album. However, for this kind of music your chief songwriter has just left you. The departure of Paul Allender was both sad and promising. He is a great guitarist, yet most fans can agree that the band was in bloom at the times he wasn't around. That is why I personally had some hopes. But as it often turns out in the end, he should not have left.

Hammer Of The Witches is Cradle Of Filth's new opus and it was promised that this one would go back to the roots of the band. In a way, this is actually true, but that doesn't make the whole thing positive. The Godspeed and Darkly, Darkly albums marked a small comeback for the band with some gothic feeling, which actually made Dani's deep, dark voice fit perfectly again. The Manticore And Other Horrors hit in the same direction musically, yet with shorter songs and it was feared that they might fall back into that horrible Thornography style. Personally I also liked The Manticore; I thought that the band had now found some kind of master plan. But to unfold the plan, it is now clear that Paul Allender was a crucial factor when it comes to songwriting.

A return to the old days? Yes, but rather a wanna-be. The intention is good but the performance lacks its uniqueness from the early days and some originality. Let's go a bit in-depth and divide the album into two parts, e.g. splitting the album in the middle around the orchestral track "The Monstrous Sabbat (Summoning The Coven)." It is convenient to talk about the better and worse half of it here. And guess what (spoiler!) - the first one is better. Easily. Specifically "Yours Immortally?", "Deflowering The Maidenhead, Displeasuring The Goddess" and "Blackest Magick In Practice" are the songs that stand out on this album, being enjoyable, and some riffs are memorable, too. The worse half, however, is, as you might have guessed, not so good. I only remember some nice moments when listening to "Onward Christian Soldiers" while the rest was quite forgettable.

Concerning the performances of the other musicians it should be mentioned that Mr. Allender is also missing in the guitar works. And who else is still being missed badly, but Sarah Jezebel Deva with her strong voice? Lindsay Schoolcraft on female vocal duty might be a neat sight to look at, but musically there isn't much to praise. She is also a reason why "Right Wing Of The Garden Triptych" might actually be the worst song on Hammer Of The Witches. Okay, now I think I've said it all, and there is no need for a longer conclusion than this: some tracks are enjoyable but the whole piece is rather disappointing.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 5
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 5
Production: 8

Written by Windrider | 26.06.2015

Guest review by
X-FrEaK
Rating:
There are two ways that metal bands tend to choose to (not) stay relevant throughout their careers: The Opethian Way or the Amon Amarthian Way. The former consists of changing your musical direction aggressively, which is a lot riskier and can sometimes alienate a lot of old school fans (ex: Opeth or In Flames), but on the other hand it can provide a much-needed second wind (ex: Paradise Lost or Machine Head). The latter consists of staying true to your winning formula and changing nothing or very little from album to album, which may or may not keep your old school fans interested. For me, Amon Amarth are the band that best represents this formula, and I have lost interest in their most recent albums, as it's just more of the same.

Read more ››
published 17.09.2015 | Comments (6)

Comments

Comments: 54   Visited by: 527 users
26.06.2015 - 11:14
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Hmmm... Talked more about context of the album rather than content, so hard to really know what to expect from this. But maybe everything is said in the context for this album anyway: Dani's voice is gone, originality is gone and their main songwriter is gone, not a good combo...
----
pewpew.. gotcha
26.06.2015 - 11:30
Rating: 8
s_t_s
To me it's a really rushed and biased review... When I started reading it and saw that Godspeed on the Devil's Thunder was so harsly described, while I love it so much... It was all said. Besides I see no common point between Godspeed and Darkly. The first is one huge piece of gothic and symphonic metal while the second is "only" a collection of goods tracks. As for Manticore, even tho I own it, that's surely the CoF album I less listen to :/

When I read your rating, I thought : shit, another failed attempt of CoF but as I read deeper into your review, my interest grew and now you really had me want to listen to the full album !
26.06.2015 - 13:01
Rating: 6
Windrider
Raureif
Written by s_t_s on 26.06.2015 at 11:30

To me it's a really rushed and biased review...

Biased: As I said I really had hopes for this album and they were honest, but I was disappointed.
Rushed: I listened to the album for about two weeks before I wrote the review, can't say how many times exactly.

Written by s_t_s on 26.06.2015 at 11:30

When I read your rating, I thought : shit, another failed attempt of CoF but as I read deeper into your review, my interest grew and now you really had me want to listen to the full album !

But that's a good thing then, isn't it?
26.06.2015 - 13:14
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Not really a convincing review... I think the way the author tries to describe his feelings about this album is a little bit forced... this is how I perceive it. I did not listen to it entirely so I uphold my conclusions, though I remember liking "Right Wing...". The new track was a bit forgetable. Schoolcraft might not be as versatile as Sarah, but she ain't bothersome either.
26.06.2015 - 14:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I did not know you like CoF and I like your writing style ... IMO indeed after 2 songs this goes back to old school
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
26.06.2015 - 15:30
Warman
Erotic Stains
If most songs even remind me the slightest of their older works, I'll like this.
----
26.06.2015 - 20:03
Dr. Strawberry
I will buy this album, the cover art is so cool !
27.06.2015 - 04:32
Rating: 9
SoUnDs LiKe PoP
I'm not a huge CoF fan, but both of the songs I've heard so far were great.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
27.06.2015 - 06:49
Malignar
The right wing song was CoF by the numbers and really really bad. Like a fan picked up a guitar and wrote a CoF song in one hour. The latest song (Deflowering) was quite good and showed a bit of life.

I don't have high hopes for the rest of the album though. I have no idea how a band loses the main songwriter and creates anything good.
27.06.2015 - 10:43
FYA
Destroyer
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 26.06.2015 at 20:03

That's the reason? Only nice cover art?
28.06.2015 - 05:26
Opethian
I don't get it. 9/10 people commenting on here dislike the band. So IMO your comments are irrelevant. Why not leave the discussion open for the fans and people who enjoy COF?
28.06.2015 - 05:59
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^ Perhaps the people discussing and complaining ARE fans... Except of the older works?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
28.06.2015 - 16:49
s_t_s
Written by Karlabos on 28.06.2015 at 05:59

^ Perhaps the people discussing and complaining ARE fans... Except of the older works?

Well I guess I can consider myself a CoF fan, yet I love all of their albums from the oldest to the latest, except for Manticore. Unlike some people I understand and accept that they have gradually changed style. I listen to older albums and more recents for different reasons and depending on what I want to listen to.

I don't listen to people who will call CoF sellouts unless they produce as many albums If you follow a band and they change style, well just don't listen to them anymore just like I did with Siren Charms of In Flames.

At least, as the author of the review stated, this may me want to listen to the full album while I wasn't expecting anything at all.

If you want to fight... Do it ! I have other things to do with my life
28.06.2015 - 17:45
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Opethian on 28.06.2015 at 05:26

So IMO your comments are irrelevant.

Hello pot, this is kettle...
29.06.2015 - 00:23
Rating: 10
Vermoorden
Both the songs released so far have been fantastic, much better than anything on manticore. High hopes for this album still!
29.06.2015 - 01:15
musicalkaratekid
I'll definitely check this album out, I sort of have an obligation to do so (The band introduced me to metal and were my fave band as a result for a good few years after all), but not expecting anything too "shocking" or "surprising", as Dani Filth himself has described in some of the promotional interviews of the album. Review is as straight-to-the-point as it needs to be for a COF album, nicely written.
29.06.2015 - 01:36
metalwolf
I saw them perform on Graspop a week ago and Dani's voice didn't sound that bad to me...
----
----------------------------------------------------------
Cthulhu for President! Why settle for the lesser evil?
29.06.2015 - 03:53
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

I don't get it. 9/10 people commenting on here dislike the band. So IMO your comments are irrelevant. Why not leave the discussion open for the fans and people who enjoy COF?

Well, for starters, I had nothing but positive things to say about the two songs that have been released.

I'm not a fan of CoF fan in the sense that I've never heard a full album from them that I enjoyed, however, they do have several independent tracks here and there that I enjoy.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
29.06.2015 - 08:47
Dr. Strawberry
Written by FYA on 27.06.2015 at 10:43

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 26.06.2015 at 20:03

That's the reason? Only nice cover art?

Yes. I usually "judge a book by its cover".
29.06.2015 - 13:43
Ziom
The "Right hand..." single promises the best album since Midian IMHO.

1. Much more melodic guitars, less generic shredding than DDVA of GODT
2. Good female vocals, which were pretty much absent on previous albums
3. The song isn't too long, there's interesting things going on

Sorry, but Allender's departure did good. He closed himself in a style and didn't let go. CoF's best albums were when he wasn't in the band, with the exception of Midian.
30.06.2015 - 00:28
Opethian
Written by deadone on 29.06.2015 at 02:16

I'm commenting a a fan of their older stuff (and they used to be one of my favourite bands right up the point the extremely boring Damnation And A Day came out). Since then they've been average at best or crap at worst. I've really tried but there's a lack of interesting song writing, they lack atmosphere and energy of early releases and the production is sterile. Thjey have become "just another metal band."

Damnation and A Day was Extremely boring for you!? ... That's a first
30.06.2015 - 00:30
Opethian
Written by Ziom on 29.06.2015 at 13:43

The "Right hand..." single promises the best album since Midian IMHO.

1. Much more melodic guitars, less generic shredding than DDVA of GODT
2. Good female vocals, which were pretty much absent on previous albums
3. The song isn't too long, there's interesting things going on

Sorry, but Allender's departure did good. He closed himself in a style and didn't let go. CoF's best albums were when he wasn't in the band, with the exception of Midian.

Agree and disagree. Midian, Damnation, Gospeed, were all really good albums with Paul on Guitars. Manticore though?? ....ouch. Album was a waste of time IMO ..
30.06.2015 - 00:56
Ziom
I think that Midian was influenced by Gian Pyres, present on both Dusk and Cruelty. Damnation was boring. It had its moments, but it was too long. Forced in many places. Godspeed - again. 30 minutes too long, with good songs dragged into boredom.

Manticore was actually kinda cool. Punk +gothic + black. Pretty relaxed album after a string of epic concept albums that lasted over 70 minutes.
30.06.2015 - 07:15
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Agree numero three. Gian Pyres was a huge loss. Up until that point they were very dark and serious and actually quality horror. Now I do actually really love Damnation and a Day, but from Nymphetamine on, for me, they've really just been a corny cartoon parody of their former self. And everything I've witnessed about this album, including this review, tells me they still are.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

30.06.2015 - 09:11
Dr. Strawberry
Quote:
Quote:

Agree and disagree. Midian, Damnation, Gospeed, were all really good albums with Paul on Guitars. Manticore though?? ....ouch. Album was a waste of time IMO ..

Disagreed. Midian, Damnation..., Gospeed...and all their later releases were all really booooooring albums.
30.06.2015 - 10:27
s_t_s
When I read all these posts it strikes me that CoF has offered such variety in their albums over the last decades that many people like or dislike such or such album. Somehow this is a good thing as it shows they have never done the same thing twice (or at least too many times .

I wish CoF offered us another epic and symphonic album as they did with Damnation or Godspeed but I don't think this will happen anymore. By the way no one here listens to Devilment's album ? I do and really like it as I take it for what it is : not a CoF album
30.06.2015 - 12:17
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 26.06.2015 at 13:14

Not really a convincing review... I think the way the author tries to describe his feelings about this album is a little bit forced... this is how I perceive it. I did not listen to it entirely so I uphold my conclusions, though I remember liking "Right Wing...". The new track was a bit forgetable. Schoolcraft might not be as versatile as Sarah, but she ain't bothersome either.

How is the review not convincing? Have you heard the whole album? I'm asking because only having heard the album you can judge the interview.
30.06.2015 - 12:19
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite

Please tell me you are joking...
30.06.2015 - 12:44
Vombatus
Potorro
Obviously haven't listen the thing, but the review hints exactly how I feel about the album. Probably coz I find boring anything after Cruelty, though Godspeed was surprisingly interesting. I'll skip this one.
01.07.2015 - 12:58
Ziom
Written by s_t_s on 30.06.2015 at 10:27

When I read all these posts it strikes me that CoF has offered such variety in their albums over the last decades that many people like or dislike such or such album. Somehow this is a good thing as it shows they have never done the same thing twice (or at least too many times .

I wish CoF offered us another epic and symphonic album as they did with Damnation or Godspeed but I don't think this will happen anymore. By the way no one here listens to Devilment's album ? I do and really like it as I take it for what it is : not a CoF album

True. CoF always offered variety. No two albums sounded the same (with the excecption of slightly similar DDVA and GSDT). However, they always had problems with overproduction and forcing unnecessary lenght. CAB and Midian were short - 50, 60 minutes. Than they thought they're obliged to make 70 minutes of music. Why?

I wondered if this dragging was Allender's lack of creativity, or Dani's demands (as he doesn't write any actual music, only acts as an executive producer or something).

Manticore and Right hand... shows they came to their senses.

Hits total: 10685 | This month: 24