04. There Is No Business To Be Done On A Dead Planet [feat. Mike McKenzie]
05. Better Living Through Catastrophe
06. Prisoner Of War
07. Interlude
08. We Hold These Truths
09. The True Beast
10. Promises
11. The Last Relapse

All Shall Perish have only been around for a short while, but in the time span of only two albums, they've progressed in a way some bands never do. With their first release "Hate, Malice, Revenge" I saw these guys as just another decent but not too exciting hardcore band, and after a few listens I simply tossed the album a side and forgot about it. Fast forward a year and we have the new album "The Price of Existence", and I can tell you right off the bat that there has been some major progression with this band in such a short while.

Since their first album didn't get such tremendous reviews from critics and metalheads alike, these guys must have gone back to the drawing board to do some serious revamping of their style because in my opinion, All Shall Perish have succeeded in creating one of the heaviest and most accomplished metal albums in the last few years comparing to bands of genres-alike. "The Price of Existence" proves that hardcore doesn't have to be a style fit only for "emos". The album stems from hardcore, to Grindcore, to Death Metal, and to melodic Death Metal, and usually it all happens during the course of every song. Right from the first track, you'll notice the incredible change of musical style All Shall Perish have equipped themselves with. The opener "Eradication" is an apocalyptic song, plentiful in growling, heavy riffing, double bass, pig-squealing, and high pitched screams that would make Dani Filth shit his pants. If that's not enough to satisfy your metal needs, then the guitar solos definitely will. A sure difference from the previous album is the use of some great melodic guitar soloing in some songs which always sound amazing and never dulls out.

I could do a whole 'track-by-track' review of this album, but I'd end up repeating the same positive comments over and over again. This album is heavy. And when I say heavy, I REALLY mean HEAVY! It completely destroys the competition of similar bands and leaves them bleeding in a pit of dust. The Price of Existence's song-writing is spectacular and should not be overlooked by any means. I can only give my highest recommendation on this album. If All Shall Perish didn't impress you with "Hate, Malice, Revenge", then you ought to give this one a try just to see how blown away you'll be. One thing I can complain about with "The Price of Existence" though, is the fact that they use breakdowns to such an extreme extent. They're plentiful in each song and if you're not quite the fan of breakdowns then you can find that they throw you off the album.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written by | 02.03.2007

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 112 users
03.03.2007 - 15:28
DragonSlayer
Account deleted
This is one good album. When I first listened to it I was really surprised: a lot of harmonic solos, awesome drums, multifaceted vocals and a mega production. The only bad thing I can say about the album is the the fact that they use a lot of breakdowns that sometimes break the flow of the musice. Besides that, this is one great album. People should have a listen.
13.04.2007 - 12:32
Asitis

This is just plain awesome.
----
The silent moment, right before the dusk fades away
I open my eyes, but the darkness stays
08.01.2008 - 06:56
xKata Alreshimx
Account deleted
Best. Album. EVER. I don't know what I did before All Shall Perish; these guys take the cake, as long as the cake's made of tungsten and covered in spikes and razor blades. I find myself doubting if the drummer has any human characteristics whatsoever; he seems to hit every blast on tempo to the nanosecond, creating a wall of sound that's not only agressive but really interesting to listen to. As for the guitarists, if any of you who read this review ever find yourselves growing dissinterested in metal, all you need to do to restore your faith is listen to The Last Relapse, specifically the last few instrumental minutes. To wrap things up, Eddie Hermida is without a doubt my favorite harsh vocalist on the face of the fucking planet due to his blistering, bone-crushing intensity and his huge range (something I didn't think you could have as a harsh vocalist); Hermida shifts comfortably from ear-shattering shrieks to pig squeals to deep bass death metal roars. The Price Of Existence is a marvel, a flawless piece of extreme metal that will keep you interested for years (in this commenter's opinion and experience)
14.09.2008 - 22:20
oLjud

One of my favorit "deathcore" albums! great recording, better than 8... would give it a 9, the bassguitar doesn't apears that well in the soundfront. But easily one of the best recordings in metalscene! use Eradication for listening out speaker for my hifisystem (mcintosh and sonus faber)...
28.12.2008 - 21:42
misanthroman
Account deleted
Time for a review for Awaken the Dreamers
26.10.2009 - 20:42
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
AWESOME BREAKDOWNS!!!:banger2:
23.10.2011 - 23:58
brapp32

One of the best metal albums ever made.
01.05.2012 - 05:03