Metal Storm logo
Nu Metal bands you like

Original post

Posted by +{Jonas}+, 16.03.2007 - 01:51
So, the title says it all. I made this so the ones here that like nu metal can discuss about the bands we like. So about me, I like:

Godsmack (Although for me it's Alternative), because their songs are really cool, and they have great lyrics and the "Changes" DVD is simply awesome, and theitr drums are great. Sully's voice is quite unique, and their lyrics are pretty nice.

Slipknot, because of their energy, the outfits look great, and their lyrics make me laugh, besides their live shows are quite impressive. Also Vol. 3 is a change, IMO they found that they don't have to scream for everything, and they prove it with a great accoustic song.

Disturbed: David's voice is great. and with their thrid album,. 10.000 fists" they try a new, more melodic sound. besides Dan Donegan proves himself as a great guitar player

KoRn: But only the first albums.

Evanescence, because Amy lee has a great voice, but their last album, "The Open Door" was a big letdown for me.

Also Adema, TrustCompany, Breaking Benjamin, Linkin Park, Chevelle, Mudvayne, Soil and I enjoy Metallica's St. Anger.

So that's it. If you have band suggestions you can and must post them as well. If you don't like Nu metal, please don't post bashing bands and attacking with things like "X band sucks" or "Nu metal sucks". Please, let's have some respect for the other fellow MSers taste.
20.04.2011 - 15:30
ColdRail
In nu metal I used to listen to System of a Down (if you consider them nu-metal because I don't) and old school KoRn.
I never liked Limp Bizkit and Slipknot
06.05.2011 - 15:08
FinnishSammich
Korn is my favorite nu metal band.
Drowning Pool had 2 good albums (Sinner and Desensitized).
Limp Bizkit's first 2 albums were good, Chocolate Starfish was mediocre and Results May Vary was absolutely horrible.
System of a Down is awesome but I count them as alternative metal, same with Godsmack.
06.05.2011 - 18:33
JD
Account deleted
Written by FinnishSammich on 06.05.2011 at 15:08

Limp Bizkit's first 2 albums were good,

Many metalheads hates this band, and yes i can see why, but i still like the 3 first albums, i just love Fred Durst's style, i didn't listened to them since 15, but sometimes i get back on some songs like "My Way" "My generation" and others
06.05.2011 - 23:51
FinnishSammich
Written by Guest on 06.05.2011 at 18:33

Written by FinnishSammich on 06.05.2011 at 15:08

Limp Bizkit's first 2 albums were good,

Many metalheads hates this band, and yes i can see why, but i still like the 3 first albums, i just love Fred Durst's style, i didn't listened to them since 15, but sometimes i get back on some songs like "My Way" "My generation" and others

Nice to see other people who like them!:)
09.08.2011 - 13:27
jerrymuzu
Limp Bizkit are getting a bad rap here (no pun intended), they regrouped after the 2003 atrocity Results May Vary

and Wes Borland is back on guitar.

Anyway, their new album and title track Gold Cobra is pretty good and they were immense at Sonisphere
I'm taking my links from muzu.tv so the artist gets a few greenbacks for vid views

link: Gold Cobra

THe rest of their songs are here: Limp Bizkit

It's a lot like the earlier stuff like Three Dollar Bills, Y'all$
Remember back in 6th grade when you was a bad mothaf***** listening to this and flipping off your parents >:)
15.09.2011 - 04:04
xxVal
Nu Metal was such a huge thing when i was in High School.
Man now i feel old. lol
Korn and Adema were huge and popular.
whatever happened to Adema btw?
I was and still am a huge Korn fan. I love Trust Company however i did not know it was Nu Metal. I learned something new today.
I have no complaints about this Genre, However Evanescence is huge let down. She might sounds great in CD but live she epicly fails.
----
To be loved is to be fortunate, but to be hated is to achieve distinction..
29.09.2011 - 13:47
Korn, they were great up until Take A Look In The Mirror, and after that they were abysmal.
Slipknot, i hate most their stuff, but can appreciate them, and still like Vol 3(even though its their most commercial). However, they were better before Corey joined.
Evanescance i have no beef with. Theyre like Within Temptation, and that makes them good.
Mushroomhead are AMAZING, and always have been.
SOAD are ok i guess, but not that good.
Limp Bizkit, i liked all their stuff except RMV and Gold Cobra.
Disturbed are decent i guess, with some good songs and some awful stuff
Papa Roach are alright, if you consider them to be Nu Metal instead of rap rock. Same goes for RATM.
29.09.2011 - 13:48
Also, Metallicas St Anger is an amazing album, but the production was horrible and the lyrics werent as good as earlier stuff. it still doesnt deserve what it gets, same goes for Slayers Diabolus in Musica
01.11.2011 - 05:21
noir1987
Slipknot of course....
----
Tired of doing quests to level up a new class in World of Warcraft? maybe you should choose WOW power leveling, it's a fast way to get a new class. So, choose a reliable World of Warcraft power l
01.11.2011 - 11:29
eponymous
A short trip down the memory lane. Contains bands I used to like as well as my opinions on bands I didn't like. Some I have revisited, but others I haven't heard in a very long time (as in, > 7 years).

Note #1: I refuse "alternative metal" as a valid genre/label. You should too since alternative means choosing between two, and is therefore twice removed from being a valid label. I agree "nu metal" is stupid and uncreative (seriously, "new" metal? lazy), but it beats the alternative. Har. Har. Har.

In random order and without further ado:

SOAD. They made three great albums. Then they died or fell apart. Shame how they were later resurrected and turned into zombies who made two more.

Godsmack. I really liked Awake in early highschool. The first one wasn't impressive, and the follow up to Awake happened when I had already lost all interest in nu. However. I give it a listen recently, and found it was pretty bad. Except for Sully's voice, I find it difficult to like anything about it. I especially hated how stupid and forced the lyrics were. This is one area where SOAD pwnt all.

Slipknot. I liked the first three (even though MFKR didn't get heavy rotation back in the day, it was decent), but Vol. 3 was just terrible. Luckily, I wasn't disappointed because by then I wasn't actively keeping up with nu anymore. Up for revision.

Deftones. First three are still good. Then they died or fell apart. Shame how...oh, just see SOAD.

Mudvayne. I never listened to the first one much, but I remember it as okayish. LD 50, however, was one of my favorites. Hm. I think I'm going to listen to it now. Lyrically on the less annoying side of the spectrum.

Coal Chamber. I really liked the second one. First one was too korny, third one had too many weak tracks, though both had some bright moments.

Tool. I've bothered only with Aenima, and it was good, albeit too gimmicky. Massively overrated band.

Disturbed. Ah, this takes me back to the time I still kept up with music videos. Remember the video for Stupify? I liked the song then, and was terribly disappointed when I finally got the album. Only "The Game" is worth mentioning in addition to "Stupify". More worth, actually. Awesome song. Never bothered with them again.

Ill Niño. Revolution Revolucion...not. Duh. Terrible.

Kittie. Oh gawd. This sounded like shit even then. A great example of a "look at us, we're chicks and we're rawkin'!111!!!!!!1".

Papa Roach. I should have known better than to acquire Infest, but no. However, I do seem to remember there was a song on there that I enjoyed immensely (no, not "Last Resort").

Powerman 5000. Tonight the Stars Revolt was revoltingly boring.

Spineshank. If they took the first two and stripped the filler, they would have a decent EP. With one weak song.

Static-X. WDT was a mixed bag, but interesting overall. Machine was somewhat better, or so it seemed to me then. By the time the next one came out, I was out of it, but I heard it and almost (can't be 100% sure, there are quite a few) all the subsequent ones, and it was all terribad. On a related note, I heard a few tracks from Wayne's new solo record, and it wasn't awful, but it failed to interest me.

Stone Sour. The debut is one of my favorite disappointments. I remember it so vividly. The disappointment, that is.

Korn. Never understood the appeal. And get this: I was a teen, and going through a lot of the usual teen stuff, so I could somewhat relate to nu metal's angst - and I still thought Korn were whiny biatches beyond all good taste.

Limp Bizkit. I knew of LB before I even got into nu and thought they were feces. I hope they've stopped mangling The Who.

------------ The Awards -----------
Including only the bands I thought of as favorites:

SOAD: +3
Deftones: +3
Slipknot: +2
Static-X: +2
Coal Chamber: +2 (1+0.5+0.5)
Mudvayne: +1.5
Godsmack: +1

Perhaps this changes when I re-visit some of these, but at least it is an accurate representation of what I felt was best of the genre circa end of the century / first few years of the new one.

----------Here endeth the trip---------------------------

I've recently heard Fair To Midland's A&A, and it's fairly high up on my list of metal-ish releases for this year, so it's nice to know the genre isn't completely dead. I'm also thinking about Five Finger Death Punch and American Capitalist, can anyone recommend this / compare it to the stuff above?

---5/11/11---
-0.5 for Slipknot. I've revisited Mate.Feed.Kill.Repeat. and... not completely terrible, but the experimentation fails horribly. It's jarring enough for me to want to ignore it out of existence.
09.03.2012 - 12:02
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
It's not totally Nu-Metal...but it's really better.

Living Colour

Here is one of the track( even the theme of WWE wrestler C M PUNK!)

09.03.2012 - 17:49
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 09.03.2012 at 12:02

It's not nu metal at all, really. If you listen to a lot of funk rock you'll notice there's a major difference between it and hip-hop, which is what nu metal incorporates into its sound.

People often confuse nu metal with alternative metal.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.03.2012 - 17:54
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.03.2012 at 17:49

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 09.03.2012 at 12:02

It's not nu metal at all, really. If you listen to a lot of funk rock you'll notice there's a major difference between it and hip-hop, which is what nu metal incorporates into its sound.

That's what exactly I said. It's not Nu-Metal, it is Funk Metal. Honestly!! much better than some of the bands mentioned out here.
11.03.2012 - 20:31
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
NOT a big fan of this genre/radio friendly stuff but I occasionally will throw on a Chevelle, Taproot or Adema cd.
----
rekt
11.03.2012 - 22:54
Apatheria
I still regularly spin Mushroomhead's XX and XIII, and consider them very good records. But after J-Mann left the group in '04, it was all downhill from there. The recent single "Your Soul is Mine" was pretty good, but the last two records are extremely hit and miss.
----
Heavy metal is the law.
05.06.2012 - 23:50
Snake? Snaaaake!
Account deleted
Discovered these guys back in 2003 when I was 10/11. I may have never gotten into metal if it weren't for them.
09.06.2012 - 17:32
DIRTYDANIII
Written by eponymous on 01.11.2011 at 11:29

A short trip down the memory lane. Contains bands I used to like as well as my opinions on bands I didn't like. Some I have revisited, but others I haven't heard in a very long time (as in, > 7 years).

Note #1: I refuse "alternative metal" as a valid genre/label. You should too since alternative means choosing between two, and is therefore twice removed from being a valid label. I agree "nu metal" is stupid and uncreative (seriously, "new" metal? lazy), but it beats the alternative. Har. Har. Har.

In random order and without further ado:

SOAD. They made three great albums. Then they died or fell apart. Shame how they were later resurrected and turned into zombies who made two more.

Godsmack. I really liked Awake in early highschool. The first one wasn't impressive, and the follow up to Awake happened when I had already lost all interest in nu. However. I give it a listen recently, and found it was pretty bad. Except for Sully's voice, I find it difficult to like anything about it. I especially hated how stupid and forced the lyrics were. This is one area where SOAD pwnt all.

Slipknot. I liked the first three (even though MFKR didn't get heavy rotation back in the day, it was decent), but Vol. 3 was just terrible. Luckily, I wasn't disappointed because by then I wasn't actively keeping up with nu anymore. Up for revision.

Deftones. First three are still good. Then they died or fell apart. Shame how...oh, just see SOAD.

Mudvayne. I never listened to the first one much, but I remember it as okayish. LD 50, however, was one of my favorites. Hm. I think I'm going to listen to it now. Lyrically on the less annoying side of the spectrum.

Coal Chamber. I really liked the second one. First one was too korny, third one had too many weak tracks, though both had some bright moments.

Tool. I've bothered only with Aenima, and it was good, albeit too gimmicky. Massively overrated band.

Disturbed. Ah, this takes me back to the time I still kept up with music videos. Remember the video for Stupify? I liked the song then, and was terribly disappointed when I finally got the album. Only "The Game" is worth mentioning in addition to "Stupify". More worth, actually. Awesome song. Never bothered with them again.

Ill Niño. Revolution Revolucion...not. Duh. Terrible.

Kittie. Oh gawd. This sounded like shit even then. A great example of a "look at us, we're chicks and we're rawkin'!111!!!!!!1".

Papa Roach. I should have known better than to acquire Infest, but no. However, I do seem to remember there was a song on there that I enjoyed immensely (no, not "Last Resort").

Powerman 5000. Tonight the Stars Revolt was revoltingly boring.

Spineshank. If they took the first two and stripped the filler, they would have a decent EP. With one weak song.

Static-X. WDT was a mixed bag, but interesting overall. Machine was somewhat better, or so it seemed to me then. By the time the next one came out, I was out of it, but I heard it and almost (can't be 100% sure, there are quite a few) all the subsequent ones, and it was all terribad. On a related note, I heard a few tracks from Wayne's new solo record, and it wasn't awful, but it failed to interest me.

Stone Sour. The debut is one of my favorite disappointments. I remember it so vividly. The disappointment, that is.

Korn. Never understood the appeal. And get this: I was a teen, and going through a lot of the usual teen stuff, so I could somewhat relate to nu metal's angst - and I still thought Korn were whiny biatches beyond all good taste.

Limp Bizkit. I knew of LB before I even got into nu and thought they were feces. I hope they've stopped mangling The Who.

------------ The Awards -----------
Including only the bands I thought of as favorites:

SOAD: +3
Deftones: +3
Slipknot: +2
Static-X: +2
Coal Chamber: +2 (1+0.5+0.5)
Mudvayne: +1.5
Godsmack: +1

Perhaps this changes when I re-visit some of these, but at least it is an accurate representation of what I felt was best of the genre circa end of the century / first few years of the new one.

----------Here endeth the trip---------------------------

I've recently heard Fair To Midland's A&A, and it's fairly high up on my list of metal-ish releases for this year, so it's nice to know the genre isn't completely dead. I'm also thinking about Five Finger Death Punch and American Capitalist, can anyone recommend this / compare it to the stuff above?

---5/11/11---
-0.5 for Slipknot. I've revisited Mate.Feed.Kill.Repeat. and... not completely terrible, but the experimentation fails horribly. It's jarring enough for me to want to ignore it out of existence.
Tool isn't nu metal
14.06.2012 - 22:46
vgmaster9
The bands that I like the most are Slipknot and Linkin Park.
30.06.2012 - 13:32
axelx666
I like:

Godsmack (sully erna FTW)
SlipKnot (maggot 4 lyfe)
Disturbed (eh ok)
Deftones (epic)
CoalChamber (now devildriver)
Otep (hey she's hot too that's a + shame she's a lesbian )
FlyLeaf (im so sick is epic)
Rob Zombie (come on who doesn't like him?)
Puddle Of Mudd (blurry)
Rage Against The Machine (bulls on parade!)
Papa Roach (getting away with murder is a GREAT album!)
Evanescence (amy lee )
Dir en Grey (visual ki is cool)
stained (nothing to say about them)
Korn (hell yeah!)
Linkin park (old stuff at least last album was Horrible!)
Maximum the Hormone (these dudes can headbang!)
and Adema (seems like a heavier celldweller)

Nu metal is awesome. i have respect for it.
----
"they can't stop us,let them try,for heavy metal we will die"
"on olemassa asioita karmivimmat yönä olen yksi heistä."
" we are the new bucolic,we are the pulse of the maggots"
"END"
30.06.2012 - 15:56
J:oKeR
Written by _Andy_ on 13.03.2011 at 12:39

Slipknot - Great lyrics, instrumentals could've been better, still one of my favourite bands ever.
System of a Down - Serj's voice is abysmal.

SOAD is considered as nu???????
----
Aaaaaaaaaa
12.07.2012 - 19:37
Saw13
12.07.2012 - 19:40
Saw13
Look my channel in youtube=> http://www.youtube.com/user/Sacred13666?feature=mhee
Can anyone be interested this:

13.07.2012 - 14:01
helofloki
Grew up with Korn and system of a down. Korn has a good groove every once in a while and a nice dark tone. For System of a down, their first two albums are the only ones I really like. I like that some of their songs have almost a grindcore aspect.

Later in life I grew to respect Slipknot and Deftones. With Slipknot I was turned off by the gimmick and unnecessary band members, but after actually listening to the music I kind of enjoyed it. It's very thrashy and the vocals are somewhat interesting. Deftones are just innovative, really interesting guitar effects and what not. They create a real atmosphere.
25.07.2012 - 17:41
artking01
Slipknot, Stone Sour Corey Taylor simply has awesome lyrics.
Rob Zombie No need for explanations .
Godsmack Sully's bad-ass voice
----
Embarrass your competition
Buy Facebook Fans & Twitter Followers
www.FanAnimal.com
25.07.2012 - 18:45
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by artking01 on 25.07.2012 at 17:41

Slipknot, Stone Sour Corey Taylor simply has awesome lyrics.
Rob Zombie No need for explanations .
Godsmack Sully's bad-ass voice

I personally hate Stone and thinks it's a wasted side projected of Corey. Their debut was pretty good but what followed after that was totally shit. I don't even listen to them anymore.

Okay, um what you think about Otep?

Probably, their one of the best song from their catalog. Indeed, sounds much better than Sour.
26.07.2012 - 06:44
Lit.
Account deleted
What is it with people thinking Rob Zombie is Nu metal?
26.07.2012 - 15:00
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 26.07.2012 at 06:44
What is it with people thinking Rob Zombie is Nu metal?

Perhaps it's the remixing of songs or something, I really don't know. There aren't any traces of rap or hip-hop in his music though, so it's a very strange thing to label RZ as nu metal. Maybe people feel the need to separate some of the more hated alternative metal bands from the "good" ones or whatever, and since nu metal is largely a genre comprised of hated bands (Limp Bizkit for instance), it makes sense for them to lump other hated bands in that category.

More of a theory than anything, but it's the only reason I can come up with.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.08.2012 - 19:59
DIRTYDANIII
Can't really say I'm a fan of nu metal, but I have to say that I definitely like the deftones and Rage against the machine they both have some quality releases
09.09.2012 - 11:26
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
I'm okay with Disturbed. Used to love them when I was 16-17 and such. Still have a place for them somewhere, but in retrospect they're not all that great.
Come to think of it, they weren't that nu-metal to begin with, though they kinda fit the genre, and they completely dropped that kind of sound and started leaning more towards hard rock with each successive album.

Breaking Benjamin is the same. It's good stuff for alternative metal/rock/post-grunge, but not the greatest. I mostly just like them because I loved them when I was a little bit younger.

Evanescence is good. My wife loves them. Truth be told, I thought The Open Door was much better than Fallen. The former sounds darker and stranger, whereas the latter sounds somewhat too poppy for me. Still good, but not the best.

FLAW is a decent band. They're mostly alternative with a bit of nu-metal sound in there. For the genre, they're actually pretty good. My older brother used to like them, and I ended up buying their 2 albums on amazon for 60 cents each.

----
09.09.2012 - 11:50
AcidMage
I don't mind what I've heard from Molotov, and Dope always made me happy - KoRn have some decent songs, but I'd say that the only album I can really put on is "See You On The Other Side".