07. At Dawn's First Light
08. One Thousand Burning Arrows
09. Vengeance Is My Name [bonus]
10. A Dream That Cannot Be [feat. Doro Pesch]
11. Back On Northern Shores

Staff review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
Ever since With Oden On Our Side, Amon Amarth has been steadily succumbing to softer production and less inventive songwriting, each successive album lacking something more. I can't say that Jomsviking reverses this trend, but Amon Amarth has pulled out some new tricks so as to at least slow its descent and plateau into tepid stability.

Read more ››
published 26.03.2016 | Comments (25)

Found in 44 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 62   Visited by: 1358 users
28.03.2016 - 09:59
Joe Zombie
Bland and uninspired is what comes to mind. Their weakest album, easily. These guys need to throw in the towel or pull out some new tricks.
29.03.2016 - 01:00
Rating: 9
jfAkerfeldt
Written by truenoacero on 26.03.2016 at 18:20

Their best album since Twilight of the Thunder God.

agree ... I really liked
29.03.2016 - 05:56
Rating: 5
EricAxel36
Almost sounds like power metal and hard rock with death growls. A couple good riffs but completely lacks atmosphere... But then again, every album has since With Oden on our Side. I don't know how people can enjoy Raise Your Horns so much, might he the weakest AA song I've ever heard. At Dawn's First Light and Way of the Vikings are the highlights imo.
30.03.2016 - 02:19
Rating: 9
Coolingsrock
Ok so let me get this straight -- 75% call it shit and 25% call it a masterpiece looks like i will have to throw in my 2 cents.
30.03.2016 - 14:05
Sean 79
Have to go with the majority here. This album is very meh! Being an AA album you'd expect at least one or two stand out tracks that would go down well in a live setting. The only song that stands out to me is A Dream That Cannot Be. I like Doro but this just sounds odd. I wonder if it has something to do with this being a concept album.. I'm just presuming here but usually AA sound like they work the vocals around the music, but there are parts here that sound like the music was written to fit around the vocal lines. I wouldn't call its a terrible album just not a very memorable one.

One last thing.... I know everyone is entitled to they're opinion 'n all but giving this album a perfect score.....I want some of what your smoking please
31.03.2016 - 11:24
Rating: 8
boo-boo
Definitely more memorable than Deceiver.
----
World won't end today - it's already tomorrow in Australia.
01.04.2016 - 20:59
Doge of Venice
Should I give this a listen? Was a fan of Twilight, and those last couple were average. From the songs I've heard so far (the singles), this feels more like extreme power/heavy metal rather than melodic death metal. By that I mean it sounds like their previous music just played at a higher pitch.
01.04.2016 - 22:37
Dinruth
I actually find it quite listenable ... as a whole not great, but worth my while .. and I'm actually looking forward to the sing a long song "raise your horns" at concerts...

and aparently it is number 1 in the German album charts
02.04.2016 - 00:47
Lord_Regnier
Written by Dinruth on 01.04.2016 at 22:37

Generally speaking, when it comes to Metal, high positions in charts have more to do with the music being accessible than with quality.
But one doesn't exclude the other.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
02.04.2016 - 00:52
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Lord_Regnier on 02.04.2016 at 00:47

Generally speaking, when it comes to anything, high positions in charts have more to do with the respective thing being accessible than with quality.

Fixed for you
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
02.04.2016 - 11:36
Dinruth

Written by Dinruth on 01.04.2016 at 22:37

Generally speaking, when it comes to Metal, high positions in charts have more to do with the music being accessible than with quality.
But one doesn't exclude the other.

I totally agree with you and I did not intend to link the statement of the chart position to whatever I have said before .. I just wanted to add another piece of information which I had just found out about
02.04.2016 - 14:14
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Doge of Venice on 01.04.2016 at 20:59

Should I give this a listen? Was a fan of Twilight, and those last couple were average. From the songs I've heard so far (the singles), this feels more like extreme power/heavy metal rather than melodic death metal. By that I mean it sounds like their previous music just played at a higher pitch.

I don't see any harm in giving this a listen, but given your disposition towards their discography, I doubt you'll play this more than once. Even compared to Surtur, this lacks vigour.
03.04.2016 - 02:42
Rating: 7
elven
Very mechanized, predictable song structures, lack of atmosphere, production makes instruments sound like were play by robots... i dont know how can they be so big now...
03.04.2016 - 03:30
Lord_Regnier
Written by Karlabos on 02.04.2016 at 00:52

Generally speaking, when it comes to anything, high positions in charts have more to do with the respective thing being accessible than with quality.

Fixed for you

True. I totally agree.
I only wished to say that it is even more true about Metal than pop music.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
03.04.2016 - 13:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by elven on 03.04.2016 at 02:42

Very mechanized, predictable song structures, lack of atmosphere, production makes instruments sound like were play by robots... i dont know how can they be so big now...

Thgis is problem whit modern metal and todays bands, even old days all was better, now all must be perfect, and somehow I start not like it
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.04.2016 - 02:42
Rating: 3
Kuroboshi
Bland, uninspired, and incredibly disappointing. Not that AA ever had the best lyrics, but these are just laughable, the production lacks any edge, they've done the same a thousand times better... There is also hardly any death metal left (a trend following on the last albums I guess). Stay away from this one!
09.04.2016 - 02:39
Rating: 6
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Definitely their weakest release!!!!!!!
12.04.2016 - 20:04
MeloMania
To be honest, I've never understood this band's incredible following. I like Melodic Death, but I was never really able to get into Amon Amarth. The only album that I really enjoyed was Twilight of the Thunder God, but everything else was just meh to me. Song structures were always very similar and nothing really stood out on it's own. This album is just another in the line, average, but hardcore fans will dig it. I did like Back on Northern Shores, though, strange they buried it in the last track because I think it stands out.
24.04.2016 - 15:09
Inshushinak
A total disapointment!!!!
27.04.2016 - 00:01
Pikemaster
Funny think if this would been released before Deceiver of the Gods. Rating would be higher. These two albums don't differ so much from each other.
----
"Soon its tail raises the mud
The beast is ready for attack
The reel screams the line beings to run
And the struggle shall begin"
27.04.2016 - 01:10
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Pikemaster on 27.04.2016 at 00:01

Funny think if this would been released before Deceiver of the Gods. Rating would be higher. These two albums don't differ so much from each other.

This and Deceiver, or this and Surtur?
27.04.2016 - 23:29
Pikemaster
Written by LeKiwi on 27.04.2016 at 01:10

Written by Pikemaster on 27.04.2016 at 00:01

This and Deceiver, or this and Surtur?

This and Deceiver I think.
----
"Soon its tail raises the mud
The beast is ready for attack
The reel screams the line beings to run
And the struggle shall begin"
28.04.2016 - 03:15
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Pikemaster on 27.04.2016 at 23:29

This and Deceiver I think.

I think the ratings differ because this album is inferior.
07.05.2016 - 15:23
raveneffect
Dont really like Amon Amarth but this album sounds good. Some parts are bland but It has cool riffs and nice bits here and there.
03.09.2016 - 22:38
Rating: 7
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
I just came back, started listening to this record and it seems they have done a decent job. Still they didn't reach to the level of "With Oden On Our Side"( my personal favorite), disappointed on recycling old tunes and then filled the blocks with them.
07.10.2016 - 00:24
Rating: 10
This album still gives me chills like all their releases. Lyrically awesome (as always), a great follow up to Deceiver of the Gods. Well done guys.
12.01.2017 - 10:07
s_t_s
The more I listen to it the more I grow bored... Better move back to previous albums. A real letdown award to me !
13.03.2019 - 00:20
Danroush
New to the site (in an contributory capacity at least), late to the party! My issue with the album is the lyrics as much as the sound. The sound is pretty typical Amon Amarth, nothing inspiring but not terrible.

The lyrics however are almost like the label just yelled the words "go Viking!" over and over at them until they wrote something so painfully and embarassingly cliché it rivals Alestorm lyrics, especially "The Way Of Vikings" which makes me actively cringe live, and that's as an Amon Amarth fan!

Overall the weakest album of the last 10 years for them if not longer, hope they take a breather after this one and come back a little hungrier to make something more interesting!
17.09.2021 - 17:44
Neoxx07
This is not their weakest anymore. That place goes to Berserker.
god i hate that record.
17.09.2021 - 19:04
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Written by Neoxx07 on 17.09.2021 at 17:44

This is not their weakest anymore. That place goes to Berserker.
god i hate that record.

I think Amon Amarth reached their peak with TOTTG, since then they have pretty much stuck with exactly the same formula, although I still find a few songs they do enjoyable, they have done nothing special.

Hits total: 22924 | This month: 60