Metal Storm logo
Carnifex - Release New Single

Good news! American deathcore experts Carnifex have released a new lyric video for their second single, "Six Feet Closer To Hell", off of their upcoming sixth album Slow Death. Hear it below. What do you think of this song, and the band's shift in sound? Let us know.

Slow Death will be released on August 5th through Nuclear Blast Records.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Carnifex
Posted: 22.06.2016 by Overrwatcher

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 8   Visited by: 31 users
22.06.2016 - 20:23
Electes
They're sounding more and more like Hypocrisy by the record. The breakdown filler is getting rather annoying at this stage, though, and the "black metal" is kinda stereotypical and not actually good. Mostly meh.
22.06.2016 - 20:56
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
American deathcore amateur released a dreadful track.
23.06.2016 - 02:05
Necrotion7
The other song was more focused, this one seemed all over the place, some cheesy lyrics too
23.06.2016 - 06:31
Overrwatcher
I didn't enjoy this as much as the other song (which was really really good), and as Necrotion7 said, this one was kind of all over the place. I think it has to do with having such a weak chorus. Carnifex could be formulaic as hell but the choruses were always the thing that held their music together. Without it the song seems kinda lost. After several listens I like it more, but it could be a whole lot better.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the song and the album is still my #1 most anticipated album this year, but this shows how they kind of have to stick to their formula to make good music.

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 22.06.2016 at 20:56

Outside of their (pretty terrible) early stuff they're far from amateurs. If Carnifex is a 6/10 then your average deathcore band is 4/10. They're consistently one of the more respected modern deathcore bands. Not on the level of, say, Veil Of Maya or Make Them Suffer, but only a notch below that.

Deathcore amateurs would be closer to the million Thy Art Is Murder clones that formed after Hate was released. Or Chelsea Grin outside of Ashes To Ashes (when they had a real guitarist/songwriter). Or Winds Of Plague.
----
Overr's List Of Worthwhile Deathcore Albums

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 12.06.2016 at 19:43

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.
23.06.2016 - 10:47
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Overrwatcher on 23.06.2016 at 06:31

I didn't enjoy this as much as the other song (which was really really good), and as Necrotion7 said, this one was kind of all over the place. I think it has to do with having such a weak chorus. Carnifex could be formulaic as hell but the choruses were always the thing that held their music together. Without it the song seems kinda lost. After several listens I like it more, but it could be a whole lot better.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the song and the album is still my #1 most anticipated album this year, but this shows how they kind of have to stick to their formula to make good music.

They're consistently one of the more respected modern deathcore bands. Not on the level of, say, Veil Of Maya or Make Them Suffer, but only a notch below that.

Black Tongue, Coliseum, Trap Them, Architects(though it slips into metalcore section but it does have deathcore roots) and the two you mentioned above is miles ahead of Carnifex.

And they're many good deathcore bands making debut around the globe making a sound which pushes other respected deathcore acts from top spot. But, the fact is they've never impressed with the good music. Just a step up on treadmill-based deathcore formulae where you know the flow and you record it.
23.06.2016 - 14:04
Overrwatcher
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 23.06.2016 at 10:47

They're consistently one of the more respected modern deathcore bands. Not on the level of, say, Veil Of Maya or Make Them Suffer, but only a notch below that.

Black Tongue, Coliseum, Trap Them, Architects(though it slips into metalcore section but it does have deathcore roots) and the two you mentioned above is miles ahead of Carnifex.

And they're many good deathcore bands making debut around the globe making a sound which pushes other respected deathcore acts from top spot. But, the fact is they've never impressed with the good music. Just a step up on treadmill-based deathcore formulae where you know the flow and you record it.

I wouldn't put Architects there. The riffs and BLEGHs are very deathcore-like, but everything else is a mixture of almost all the -core genres. The sum of the parts really is more of metalcore/post-hardcore howerver.

Black Tongue has one really really good album, but their first two EPs really weren't my style. It was just a slower and more downtuned version of The Acacia Strain. I like TAS, but not enough to listen to a million clones that have formed in recent years. Black Tongue is more unproven than anything really IMO. If their next album is as good then I'll feel confident calling them a great band.

I don't see any deathcore influences in Coliseum whatsoever, not even close.

I can see some OSDM influences in Trap Them but they aren't deathcore. They're much more in the line of grind than anything. For really hardcore-influenced deathcore, Xibalba (USA) is more of the sound to look for.

My thing about Carnifex is the same way the average person feels about bands like Soilwork: You know what you're going to get with every album. Except for "Drown Me In Blood", they are never going to wow you. They just put out satisfying solid music, nothing more, nothing less. They have got better at the formula with every album, but I just hope they can keep reaching the high of that aforementioned song.
----
Overr's List Of Worthwhile Deathcore Albums

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 12.06.2016 at 19:43

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.
23.06.2016 - 19:13
s_t_s
Me like ! Not as good as Drown Me In Bloodyet full of spitting energy ! Not let me get things clear : deathcore isn't my everyday cup of boiling metal but I used to love All Shall Perish so much ! I gave Carnifex a try and "Die Without Hope' sure is nice for a short listening (the same goes to selftitled WhiteChapel album). Have tried latest Thy Art Is Murder but found out quite uninspired except for a few moments.

Still hope the other tracks will sound more like Drown Me In Blood tho but this track is fine and kicks ass !
23.06.2016 - 20:52
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Overrwatcher on 23.06.2016 at 14:04

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 23.06.2016 at 10:47

My thing about Carnifex is the same way the average person feels about bands like Soilwork: You know what you're going to get with every album.

That's the main issue.

Carnifex WAS ALWAYS predictable and you know what they will be doing it. They never wow-ed me with tracks which jumps right on your face and exhilarted you. I always felt these guys lived a little less than expectations of people.

Might be a room for improvement but whatever by this song goes by, it's really pathetic.

Hits total: 1708 | This month: 12