09. Helvetesfönster
10. Life Eternal
11. It's A Sin [Pet Shop Boys cover] [Deluxe Edition bonus]
12. Avalanche [Leonard Cohen cover] [Deluxe Edition bonus]

The Best Hard Rock Album Of 2018

Staff review by
nikarg
Rating:
You all know the stories behind Ghost's unmasking, the subsequent lawsuits and Cardinal Copia replacing Papa Emeritus III, so let's cut to the chase.

Read more ››
published 12.06.2018 | Comments (21)

Found in 40 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 78   Visited by: 998 users
13.04.2018 - 14:21
Rating: 6
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Perkele?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
14.04.2018 - 10:55
Rating: 8
VileVick-Bryant
Nice artwork
14.04.2018 - 19:22
InnerSelf
proofread free
This gon be gud.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
15.04.2018 - 02:41
Sorry but first single Rats - nothing super mighty
a bit overhyped as always with Ghost
19.05.2018 - 15:13
Mercurial
New song, probably their cheesiest and poppiest song yet, also featuring a video with Phil Anselmo looking really awkward.

I really liked Rats but even I'm finding this one a bit toothless.
29.05.2018 - 08:09
sbgmetal
Same thoughts here, this song is shit mixed with some good parts
01.06.2018 - 10:50
Nicko's Nose
On first listen I think It's good but not great. It's easily their softest/poppiest album which doesn't bother me at all but might bother others. It doesn't have many actual riffs and has quite a few "balladic" moments. The melodic guitar parts are really memorable and my favorite thing about it. Even the weak songs atleast have great melodic guitar parts. I'd give it a soft 7/10 at the moment.
01.06.2018 - 13:40
AndreMarcos
Barely sounds like a rock album. But above all sounds really uninspired.
01.06.2018 - 19:02
Rating: 4
Malignar
I'm convinced this is the intro to the real release. There is about an EP worth of actual material here...not good.
01.06.2018 - 22:30
Nick Carter
The singer is clearly a step down and they can't say the last Papa's voice was something impossible to substitute.
I was actually excited about their more "cheesy" sound, but this is just so plain and boring. I am dissapointed
----
#MetalIsForEveryone
01.06.2018 - 22:58
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Nick Carter on 01.06.2018 at 22:30

The singer is clearly a step down and they can't say the last Papa's voice was something impossible to substitute.
I was actually excited about their more "cheesy" sound, but this is just so plain and boring. I am dissapointed

Just checking that you know it's the same guy, right?
01.06.2018 - 23:17
Kuroboshi
Really like Ghost but this is so disappointing. I don't mind that it's pop metal or rock, but this is just uninspired. Pop is good when done well. Metal is bad when done bad. This is done bad.
02.06.2018 - 01:37
JÄY
Metal slave
It's a slight step down from all their other releases but still great. Too much balladry and instrumentals.
02.06.2018 - 03:03
Nicko's Nose
Written by Archie 666 on 02.06.2018 at 00:31
a run of the mill pop rock music vomit that did nothing for me

That definitely doesn't sound like a 7/10.
02.06.2018 - 05:35
Rating: 9
Mc_Twist
If you are not into Pop/Rock music and don't like Theatrical and Musical Comedy, you're ain't gonna like that record.
Prequelle is clearly built around melodies, and it's pretty well done.
I am a fan, and it clearly is, a great record, but I think it will need multiple listens for some people to get into it.
The thing is that Tobias Forge teased people with saying that it was going to be a really Heavy and Dark record, so some people are going to be very disappointed..
That's a solid 9 (not far from the 10/10) for me.
02.06.2018 - 11:06
Rating: 10
CurseTheSky
Best Ghost record since the debut album for mine
02.06.2018 - 11:16
Archie 666
Written by Nicko's Nose on 02.06.2018 at 03:03

Written by Archie 666 on 02.06.2018 at 00:31
a run of the mill pop rock music vomit that did nothing for me

That definitely doesn't sound like a 7/10.

You're absolutely right about that and in my defence I was drunk and angry so I guess what I did was what a drunk husband does when he leaves his wife and kids and goes to a hooker(thoughtless/stupid) I am on my knees begging for forgiveness
Will rethink my opinion and rating of this album when sober. Kindest regards Nicko
02.06.2018 - 15:03
Rating: 7
FR1DAY
Dude Meliora was so good, this shit is pretty disappointing. I don't like the argument "This album is for people who like Theatrical and Musical Comedy and Pop music". I like those things too. I have no problem with Ghost becoming less "rock" but this album is just boring. Only like two good songs the rest sounds like B-side demos.
02.06.2018 - 17:23
tominator
At best deranged
Contributor
It's ok. Definitely not as good as Meliora in my book (which is still my favourite record of them). Overall the style worked for me for about half of the album. Then it started to feel like there was too much of the same going on and I started to zone out.

Dance Macabre and Pro Memoria are probably some of my least favourite songs by them tbh.
02.06.2018 - 19:04
bguardian12
I´m wondering how do people manage to rate an album after less than a day of its release.
02.06.2018 - 19:58
bguardian12
Written by Archie 666 on 02.06.2018 at 19:16

Written by Archie 666 on 02.06.2018 at 19:14

Written by bguardian12 on 02.06.2018 at 19:04

I´m wondering how do people manage to rate an album after less than a day of its release.

It's really easy when you're 39 and have listened to hundreds of albums. It really is

Well, that´s OK. I´m 33 and I´ve listened to thousands of albums, But to me it just takes some time to get into the music, pay attention to all the elements, etc. My perception of an album and the way it makes me feel evolves given a little time to settle. I´ve listened to the album a couple of times by now and I could give a rough score but it would be... a rough score. I´m just concerned that some people may be too impatient to give a score, and therefore the score would be inaccurate. And that isn´t helpful for people who want to find out if the album is worth a try or not.
02.06.2018 - 20:36
nikarg
Staff
Written by bguardian12 on 02.06.2018 at 19:04

Well said.
02.06.2018 - 21:02
Mercurial
Something as poppy as this doesn't need more than one listen to get a strong impression from, and thus a rating. Ratings can always be amended anyway.
02.06.2018 - 21:58
The Galactician
I found myself enjoying this a lot more than I expected to, knowing that the core band from the first three records is gone. I don't care who's writing the music, the people behind the instruments will always make a big difference.

They've gone way deeper into rock opera territory than ever before, which sort of fits with the endless tour cycle. This is Godspell for Satan. Lucifer Super Star. It's a theatrical sound through and through, and one that a lot of folks aren't going to like in the slightest.

In general this needs more listens to get a rating on my end. As a long time fan, I can't see loving it as much as I did the first three albums, but I'm definitely not hating either. And I appreciate that a band can't stay the same forever no matter how much I might want that sometimes.
03.06.2018 - 03:58
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
This album is very interesting, it starts out just like any other Ghost album with a song like "Rats" but then becomes progressively softer (and a bit samey) as the album goes on, becoming more reminiscent of synthpop music from the early 80s. "Dance Macabre" for example sounds eerily similar to "Flashback... What A Feeling" by Irene Cara and I don't think that's a coincidence. I happen to dig some 80s pop so this still sounded good to my ears but I'm not entirely sure how other Ghost fans (and metal fans in general) will respond to it. Some of the highlights for me are "Rats," "See The Light," and "Pro Memoria." Not their best album imo, but still pretty solid.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
03.06.2018 - 19:20
The Galactician
Written by CobiWan1993 on 03.06.2018 at 03:58

"Dance Macabre" for example sounds eerily similar to "Flashback... What A Feeling" by Irene Cara and I don't think that's a coincidence. I happen to dig some 80s pop so this still sounded good to my ears but I'm not entirely sure how other Ghost fans (and metal fans in general) will respond to it.

You know, I had the exact same 1980s thought yesterday. Dance Macabre in particular sounds like it could be the background for a montage where the high school kids are getting ready for the big talent show.

This one's really growing on me, but I think you're right, a fair number of metal fans in particular aren't going to dig or get it at all.
04.06.2018 - 03:28
Love the atmosphere of this album. Not at all what I was expecting!
So funny to see all the butthurt supposed metalheads. Metalheads that probably never listened to Blue Öyster Cult, Scorpion, Accept or Europe... And think that the only fathers to heavy metal are Led Zeppelin. Go back into your caves please.
04.06.2018 - 05:23
Lord Slothrop
Another solid release from the controversial 'metal-rock-pop' band. The only song I haven't been able to warm up to is, of course, 'Dance Macabre'. Maybe some day. Or not.
04.06.2018 - 06:21
Nicko's Nose
Written by Lord Slothrop on 04.06.2018 at 05:23

Another solid release from the controversial 'metal-rock-pop' band. The only song I haven't been able to warm up to is, of course, 'Dance Macabre'. Maybe some day. Or not.

I'd take Dance Macabre over anything after it. First half is so much better than the second imo.
05.06.2018 - 02:27
Lord Slothrop
Written by Nicko's Nose on 04.06.2018 at 06:21

Written by Lord Slothrop on 04.06.2018 at 05:23

I'd take Dance Macabre over anything after it. First half is so much better than the second imo.

I listened to the song again and figured it out. What I hate is that during the chorus he keeps singing "wanna be which you" and I fucking hate the sound of it. I have the same reaction whenever someone says 'axe' instead of ask. As for the song, eh... it's ok, I suppose. I agree with you as to the first half v the second, but I still dig it. For the most part.

Hits total: 16436 | This month: 49