Disc II
01. Darkest Hour
02. Death Of The Celts
03. The Parchment
04. Hell On Earth

The Best Heavy Metal Album & The Biggest Letdown Of 2021
Featured in "Getting Into: Iron Maiden"

Additional info
Recorded at Guillaume Tell Studio, Paris, France, in 2019.
Mastered at Table of Tone Mastering Ltd.

Staff review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
For 15 years I have awaited a worthy sequel to A Matter Of Life And Death, and after a couple of suboptimal offerings in a row, I began to despair that Iron Maiden had succumbed to the solipsistic lethargy that eclipses so many titans of their stature and longevity.

Read more ››
published 11.09.2021 | Comments (16)

Found in 68 lists
Top lists

Comments page 6 / 8

Comments: 221   Visited by: 1550 users
16.09.2021 - 16:56
Rating: 7
JoHn Doe
Written by Redel on 16.09.2021 at 16:45

Written by Tom Muller on 16.09.2021 at 13:44

could be their last one!!!

I tend to say "should be".

----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
16.09.2021 - 16:58
Redel
Written by JoHn Doe on 16.09.2021 at 16:56

Written by Redel on 16.09.2021 at 16:45

Written by Tom Muller on 16.09.2021 at 13:44

could be their last one!!!

I tend to say "should be".

But I was serious. And that is rather sad, isnt it?
17.09.2021 - 13:26
Rating: 8
AIeditor059
Compared with The Book of Souls, I still think this one is better... At least, for example, a 8.3 might be more fair. If the event that someone registered lots of fucking accounts did not happen, the score now might be 8.3 or some scores like that.
17.09.2021 - 13:49
Rating: 4
Madlax
Very low energy and uninspired album. Bruce doesn't look his age, but he sure sounds like it. His wailings are pathetic and cringe-worthy at this point. Iron Maiden has not offered a good album since the late 1980s and the trend seems to remain the same. Release one album, with the same rehashed material over and over again to keep the brand alive. The AC/DC of heavy metal. Just retire already.
23.09.2021 - 11:33
Hooman
I read the comments and I'm wondering the most problem with this album after the production is lack of energy and down tempo songs. I really liked the title track exactly because of low tempo riffs and those jungle grooves and tribal drums. These guys are old and I can respect them for not making a fast pace and solid metal album like they used to. This album is nothing special but it is really enjoyable for me and I am by no means a maiden fan.
29.09.2021 - 01:10
Cthulu
My only criticism is there's way too much high pitch synth for my liking. Favorite songs are The Time Machine, The Parchment, and Hell on Earth.
29.09.2021 - 01:27
Cthulu
Written by Madlax on 17.09.2021 at 13:49

Very low energy and uninspired album. Bruce doesn't look his age, but he sure sounds like it. His wailings are pathetic and cringe-worthy at this point. Iron Maiden has not offered a good album since the late 1980s and the trend seems to remain the same. Release one album, with the same rehashed material over and over again to keep the brand alive. The AC/DC of heavy metal. Just retire already.

This sounds nothing like something they would release in the 80s. They've practically changed genre. If anything, they are the opposite of AC/DC
29.09.2021 - 09:41
JoHn Doe
Written by Cthulu on 29.09.2021 at 01:27

Written by Madlax on 17.09.2021 at 13:49

This sounds nothing like something they would release in the 80s. They've practically changed genre. If anything, they are the opposite of AC/DC

Maybe not the AC/DC of heavy metal, it's an exaggeration, but if you heard one album since their reunion, you've heard them all, and to me, Brave New World is the only album that comes close in songwriting quality to classic IM.
I don't think they've changed genre, I don't think they are progressive metal now, not when long songs have the same pattern, an intro, chorus-verse - long solos verse-chorus - outro. It's tedious at some point. Also songs are often repetitive, some are longer than necessary.

And yes, they are a brand, but there is nothing wrong with that.

These are my problems with later day IM, and I love this band, I've been listening to them all my life.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
30.09.2021 - 03:28
Neoxx07
Same as Book of souls, weak as fuck.
30.09.2021 - 15:37
Rating: 4
majormalfunction
Written by Neoxx07 on 30.09.2021 at 03:28

Same as Book of souls, weak as fuck.

For me that's an overstatement but I also agree, all three latest albums are in large instances very boring.
----
Everything's twice as bright with money in your hands
30.09.2021 - 16:00
musclassia
Staff
Written by JoHn Doe on 29.09.2021 at 09:41

I don't think they've changed genre, I don't think they are progressive metal now, not when long songs have the same pattern, an intro, chorus-verse - long solos verse-chorus - outro. It's tedious at some point. Also songs are often repetitive, some are longer than necessary.

Yeah, people like to discuss how Iron Maiden have turned into a progressive band, but the many of the actual songs are pretty conventional in terms of structure and other attributes that would be considered prog (time signatures, etc.), it's just that between the long song intros, the extended instrumental mid-sections and the lower tempos, the songs run on for ages. Some of the reunion songs enter prog territory with their structures, but something like For The Greater Good Of God runs for 10 minutes basically just through hefty repetition and a long-ass instrumental mid-section.
04.10.2021 - 11:07
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Musically it is very good. I think the "problem" is they kinda turned into different band. Blasting energy of their old songs was replaced with long, mid-paced and sometimes also quite repetetive tunes. I have favorites on each of last three albums (e.g. When The Wild Wind Blows, Empire Of The Clouds or Death Of The Celts), but it is different than it used to be. And I bet when they tour again, most of the set list would be good old classics, because that is what fans want to see, not 10+ minutes prog-asms.
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

05.10.2021 - 12:19
gavdann
I finally found the 60 plus minutes to give this a listen.

Gutted!! That's time I'll never get back.

I should have known better though as this band died for me as a recording artist after 7th Son. If I'm honest I don't even like Somewhere in Time or 7th Son that much.
11.10.2021 - 23:07
skelator
I thought they could not get lower than Book Of Souls, but this is just horrendous.
----
Best Metal Albums of 2023: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9jaZJRBeBw

Best Metal Demos: www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HtsgSQjV44
14.10.2021 - 05:40
Rating: 9
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I've been revisiting every Iron Maiden album up till now and I'm trying to avoid recency bias with this album since it just came out this year but I still think this is an excellent release. In a way it's a bit more consistent in regards to pacing and flow than the last album (it helps that Steve Harris does the bulk of the songwriting on here) and there isn't a song on here that I would regard as poor or mediocre. Every song I would rank from very good to excellent. While there isn't a mindblowingly epic masterpiece like Empire of the Clouds, there are a lot of great songs that I constantly revisit like The Time Machine, Lost in a Lost World (very underrated), The Writing on the Wall, Death of the Celts, Days of Future Past and of course Hell on Earth, which is an amazing way to close an album.

Ironically unlike the last album where I thought the longest song was the strongest, the longest song on here (The Parchment) I would put in the very good category, definitely not a bad song, but I wouldn't put it up there with the other songs that I mentioned previously as it does get pretty repetitive at times. There's a bit more 90s influence on here than on past releases, especially with the last three songs that wouldn't sound out of place on any of the Blaze Bayley era works, Death of the Celts has a strong Clansman vibe, while the intro to Hell on Earth reminds me of the intro to Fortunes of War for example. I don't think of it as self-plagiarism, it just reminds me of that a lot. It's just outside of my top five favorite albums from the band and I know this has been a bit of a running joke for a while, but if this turns out to be their final album, then it's not a bad send off!
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
28.10.2021 - 06:07
tintinb
Love this album. I have always been a sucker for Maiden's long ass ballads and love the ones that features in this one. The time machine is my favorite. Love Bruce's soaring vocals in that one.
----
Leeches everywhere.
30.10.2021 - 05:51
Rating: 6
Hrodebert
I'm not sure what I am missing about this album, I have listened to it twice and I am hearing nothing but another boring Maiden album, and no I am not some youngster or someone that is all about tvu kvlt metal, I loved Maiden for a long time, but they are just done making good albums and have been for a very long time. This is just another average album from a bunch old guys that used to kick ass but now are just an average band. And that is ok, i am not doing the same things I did when I was 20 either, being older and boring is just fine, just don't piss on my head and tell me it's raining.
11.11.2021 - 13:45
Rating: 5
Charlotbk
Third time I try to listen to this album and fuck I find it really weak and boring really don't understand the praise all the 10/10 or 9/10. for me the last good album was 21 years ago. For me the only good thing about maiden is they give you a good show, in the other hand if they enjoy doing music at their age i'm find with that they have nothing to prove to anyone.
04.12.2021 - 15:26
Rating: 10
A Top 3 album. It shatters anything from the nostalgia era.
03.03.2022 - 01:53
Alphabob
Account deleted
BEST HEAVY METAL ALBUM YET THE MOST DISAPPOINTING OF THE YEAR!!!!! WHAT A DICHOTOMY!
03.03.2022 - 07:52
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
So basically even if Iron Maiden release an average album (imo) it will still be much better than anything else that another heavy metal band releases, either that or there has been a general lack of interest in discovering, or listening to new, or other heavy metal bands outside of Iron Maiden, which is why I believe this had the number one spot.

It's a shame because I myself missed out on a ton of top heavy metal albums last year, I really couldn't get into this album, I tried several times, but It's so damn long and tiresome, that I just gave up in the end. So I was reluctant to vote this one, knowing there was likely to be better albums out there, I just never got round to listening to them.
03.03.2022 - 15:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 03.03.2022 at 07:52

So basically even if Iron Maiden release an average album (imo) it will still be much better than anything else that another heavy metal band releases, either that or there has been a general lack of interest in discovering, or listening to new, or other heavy metal bands outside of Iron Maiden, which is why I believe this had the number one spot.

Well I think BIG bands can make it, it works, but then again ...same old story about internet people
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.03.2022 - 16:42
Redel
Written by Bad English on 03.03.2022 at 15:14

internet people

03.03.2022 - 16:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Redel on 03.03.2022 at 16:42

internet people

About x band is bad or super good. Haters vd fan boys
----

apos;'
[image]
03.03.2022 - 17:16
Redel
Written by Bad English on 03.03.2022 at 16:50

internet people

Ah, you mean "people".
03.03.2022 - 17:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Redel on 03.03.2022 at 17:16

Written by Bad English on 03.03.2022 at 16:50

internet people

Ah, you mean "people".

Yes
----

apos;'
[image]
27.04.2022 - 19:51
Rating: 3
sgtrobo
Christ almighty.
this album is fucking PAINFUL to get through.
Bloated mid-paced monotony.
worst Bruce album by far, and it is barely above the Blaze albums.
07.05.2022 - 10:34
Rating: 2
Vinther1991
Having listened to this a handful of times now. I can easily say, this is the worst album Iron Maiden has ever made. The production and the band sound weak. The songwriting is over long and boring. At least Hell on Earth is better than any track on Book of Souls, but even that has a way too long, boring intro and a few not too impressive parts throughout. Writings on the Wall is probably also on par with the best songs on book of Souls. But other than that and the last 2 min of The Parchment the album is a complete failure.

This is how I would rank the band's albums:

1. Powerslave
2. Seventh Son of the Seventh Son
3. The Number of the Beast
4. Piece of Mind
5. Iron Maiden
6. The X Factor
7. Killers
8. Brave New World
9. Fear of the Dark
10. The Final Frontier
11. Virtual XI
12. A Matter of Life and Death
13. No Prayer for the Dying
14. Dance of Death
15. Somewhere in Time
16. Book of Souls
17. Senjutsu
21.06.2022 - 13:09
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Ellrohir on 04.10.2021 at 11:07

And I bet when they tour again, most of the set list would be good old classics, because that is what fans want to see, not 10+ minutes prog-asms.

What a prophet I was...

Opening gig with 3 songs from this album...then pause to re-design the stage...and BAM - 80ties Iron Maiden, here we go
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

20.07.2022 - 04:43
dingobattler
If you listen to something like somewhere in time and compare it to this, you'd be forgiven if you thought this was 2 completely different genres, played by different bands. Writing on the wall has a sick MV, but the song is extremely average at best. Hell on earth is their only good song on their 80 min album. Would have been legendary if it was released 30 years ago, like NOTB, trooper, aces high, etc. legendary. The biggest shame is that its 30 years too late, and the world has moved on to mumble rap. All their other stuff is prog. rock catering to super boomers, especially with all their longer, low energy songs. All the boomers I know love playing this in between their beatles and elvis for "something heavier"

Hits total: 25669 | This month: 168