Disc II
01. Darkest Hour
02. Death Of The Celts
03. The Parchment
04. Hell On Earth

The Best Heavy Metal Album & The Biggest Letdown Of 2021
Featured in "Getting Into: Iron Maiden"

Additional info
Recorded at Guillaume Tell Studio, Paris, France, in 2019.
Mastered at Table of Tone Mastering Ltd.

Staff review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
For 15 years I have awaited a worthy sequel to A Matter Of Life And Death, and after a couple of suboptimal offerings in a row, I began to despair that Iron Maiden had succumbed to the solipsistic lethargy that eclipses so many titans of their stature and longevity.

Read more ››
published 11.09.2021 | Comments (16)

Found in 68 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 8

Comments: 221   Visited by: 1553 users
01.09.2021 - 12:39
Rating: 7
JoHn Doe
The album has already leaked
roflmao
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
01.09.2021 - 13:12
Rating: 8
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by JoHn Doe on 01.09.2021 at 12:39

roflmao

Already? 2 days before release is not already. It's late, for modern "standards".
01.09.2021 - 13:20
JoHn Doe
Written by Daniell on 01.09.2021 at 13:12

Written by JoHn Doe on 01.09.2021 at 12:39

roflmao

Already? 2 days before release is not already. It's late, for modern "standards".

what's the "modern standard" for leaks?
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
01.09.2021 - 13:27
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by JoHn Doe on 01.09.2021 at 13:20

Back in 2017, Cradle of Filth's "Cryptoriana" was leaked over 2 months before release.
01.09.2021 - 13:29
JoHn Doe
Written by Daniell on 01.09.2021 at 13:27

Written by JoHn Doe on 01.09.2021 at 13:20

Back in 2017, Cradle of Filth's "Cryptoriana" was leaked over 2 months before release.

now that's a LEAK!
----
01.09.2021 - 15:37
FeskarN
Only heard "Hell on earth" so far. It's so good! Great melodies and atmosphere.
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
01.09.2021 - 16:00
Rating: 9
Caio
I listened the album twice already.
Is better than Book of Souls. But if you don't like Book of Souls, you won't like this one too.
02.09.2021 - 13:06
Rufus Valentine
Account deleted
Given this a few listens now. First track (the first Maiden LP to kick off with a title track - unless you include 'Caught Somewhere In Time' and 'Satellite 15... The Final Frontier') is seriously lacking punch for an Iron Maiden album opener - it's a decent enough track but lacks a bit of energy. After that it improves but the production is muted - the leads lack bite and at times I can barely hear the vocals over the music. Weirdly, the mix improves slightly as the LP proceeds but the damage has already been inflicted. Iron Maiden can't have too many records left in the tank but they have to consider getting rid of Shirley - Martin Birch will be spinning in his grave.

In my opinion, the best tracks are second single, 'Stratego', proggy epic, 'Lost In A Lost World', Churchill tribute, 'Darkest Hour' and mid-tempo epic, 'The Parchment'. Some tracks are way too long - you sometimes get the impression that they're stuck in a vortex, constantly trying to reproduce 'Rime Of The Ancient Mariner' but that's never going to happen!

These guys have been at it for over 40 years, still cut it live, still bring in young recruits to the metal scene and most bands (metal or otherwise) would kill to have the career they've had. This album won't go down as one of their best but nobody was expecting that - ultimately, it's solid Maiden - no more, no less, and samurai Eddie is badass.
02.09.2021 - 15:23
Metal Rasputin
I didn't really like the two songs they already released, but the album itself sounds surprisingly great overall.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
02.09.2021 - 22:17
skeksis25
Sorry but at first listens this was very boring. Only enjoyed title track, the singles, The Time Machine and Hell On Earth. Too long and songs are very long too, many fillers as Days Of Future Past, Lost In A Lost World. Hope gets better with more listens but i don't think will happen.
----
https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7023
03.09.2021 - 07:18
Rating: 10
lemme
They have done it again, they are legendary. Without any questions.

Written by [user id=117337] on 02.09.2021 at 14:06

I'd happily pass out listening to their 'Darkest hour' blues.

Indeed
03.09.2021 - 08:29
Gothic Metalhead
Pro Introvert
It's a good album with a handful of songs to enjoy. Though it sorta lacks the same way as book of souls where you get lost in the music due to the length and the general characteristics you'd expect from maiden. But, still an overall good album and liked the performance of Bruce and the melodies.
03.09.2021 - 08:58
kevindebrajne
Account deleted
Let the vote abuse storm begin!
03.09.2021 - 09:04
Rating: 10
StRicardo6
Don't like much all albums after BNWorld, but this one is something else, beautiful work .. dark, catchy. Listening few times 🤘🤘
& No.1 in Top Of The 2021 ? wow
03.09.2021 - 09:06
Tufted
This album have to be listened many times just like their previous album. In my opinion this is far better than the book of souls. One of the most ambitious album by Iron Maiden. Closing three tracks are phenomenally good.
03.09.2021 - 09:07
nikarg
Staff
After three listens, I can safely say that there isn't a single song that I don't like here.
03.09.2021 - 11:04
Ellinor
Really surprised, really good.
03.09.2021 - 13:08
NAmaral9
Amazing album! Really Great! Best songs: Hell On Earth, Lost In a Lost World, The Time Machine and Darkest Hour.
03.09.2021 - 13:30
Dark Forever
Ruído Sonoro
Written by Tufted on 03.09.2021 at 09:06

This album have to be listened many times just like their previous album. In my opinion this is far better than the book of souls. One of the most ambitious album by Iron Maiden. Closing three tracks are phenomenally good.

If this is "far better" than The Book Of Souls, how come the former is "Perfect"? Because you also gave it a 10
----
Taste the DARK...
... and you'll live FOREVER!
03.09.2021 - 13:35
Nejde
CommunityManager
Why do people complain about the length of the songs? The top 3 songs of the album are the last three 10+ minutes songs. Hell On Earth is the best song they've done in a long time. This album exceeded my expectations by far. I guess with covid and no touring they actually have been able to focus on the song writing and I think it shows.
03.09.2021 - 13:36
Aries Rising
Is the mixing and mastered better than what we've heard on the singles? Youtube compression being what it is and all, but add the song qualities and I'm a bit worried.
03.09.2021 - 13:38
musclassia
Staff
Surprised to see Darkest Hour listed as a highlight by some, found it to be a slog. On first listen, Time Machine and The Parchment stood out as the strongest tracks. Think it's an improvement on Book Of Souls courtesy of it being less bloated, but their obsession with 10-minute tracks at this point does feel like they're writing long songs just for the sake of it at times (definitely got that vibe on The Death Of The Celts). Still, Maiden are more reliably enjoyable at this point of their career than most other bands that emerged at the same time, and this is a perfectly decent record.
03.09.2021 - 13:39
musclassia
Staff
Written by Aries Rising on 03.09.2021 at 13:36

Is the mixing and mastered better than what we've heard on the singles? Youtube compression being what it is and all, but add the song qualities and I'm a bit worried.

Listening to it now on Spotify and it sounds a bit muddy tbh
03.09.2021 - 14:05
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
After a few spins, i think it's just an ok album. Like a 7/10.

Senjutsu - nice intro riff and outro as well, develops into a melodic sloggish chorus, they probably wanted an epic start but it lacks the energy.

Stratego - resembles something out of Dance of Death. I like the chorus, it grew a lot on me.

The Writing On The Wall - the catchiest song on the album. Considering the album, i think it was a good choice for single. It represents the overall pace of it.

Lost In A Lost World - starts out fine in a very sombre tone, but it develops into another slog of wasting time. Sounds like a left over from Brave New World. I'd easily cut 3 minutes of it and it would be a much better song. Ah Maiden and their taste for epics!

Days Of Future Past - sounded better and better after each consecutive listen. This one sounds like it's off A Matter of Life and Death. I think it should've been the opener. Very strong song.

The Time Machine - mixed feelings just like Lost In A Lost World. It's has some parts which are divine, but the song stretches way beyond desirable and sometimes becomes another epic slog. I like the way Bruce uses his voice here, it goes back to the Seventh Son and Somewhere in Time era. If i had to include this song in any Maiden album it would probably fit well in SIT.

Darkest Hour - the second half on the album starts off nicely but with yet another that needed a bit of editing. The intro is absolutely gorgeous. It's basically a power ballad.

Death of the Celts - it's The Clansman's part 2 basically. Songs are similar in structure and arrangements. Not that i'm complaining, i love The Clansman, but i couldn't shake the feeling of being listening to the same song rehashed.

The Parchment - it's my favorite of the album, it's 12 minutes never feels dull, the riffs and atmosphere are amazing, Bruce is almighty.

Hell on Earth - everyone's favorite so far, i think! And righteously so. These last 2 songs are among the best Iron Maiden ever wrote. I just happen to enjoy the arrangements in The Parchment more ahah
Brilliant song to close the album.

So, overall all songs have at least a little something i enjoyed. I don't see myself skipping any tracks, but least favorites are probably the title track, Lost In A Lost World and Darkest Hour.
The Time Machine goes into the "yeah i like but..." category.
On the good side, Death of the Celts, Stratego, The Writing On The Wall take the cake.
But songs i really really loved were basically three: The Parchment, Hell on Earth and Days Of Future Past. This makes for a good album, which grants it a 7 out 10. In my book is a solid score. Just slightly inferior to The Book of Souls.

Up the Irons!
03.09.2021 - 16:05
iMorphball
First few spins leave very strong impressions. It's kind of incredible how good this is considering where these guys are in their career.
03.09.2021 - 16:34
Crème fraiche
Bruce's voice sounds a little strained, as he did when I saw them live when they toured a few years ago. That being said, I'm digging the slower tempos and the riffs on this thing! Glad they are still putting out new stuff even if they won't achieve the lofty heights of previous eras. Album art is absolutely badass to boot! Cheers boys!
03.09.2021 - 16:51
AIeditor059
Indeed, there are some long songs but they are not tediously long, almost each of which has many amazing sections.
It is better than The Book of Souls with no doubt and it is perfect!
03.09.2021 - 17:05
Caio
Written by AIeditor059 on 03.09.2021 at 16:51

Indeed, there are some long songs but they are not tediously long, almost each of which has many amazing sections.
It is better than The Book of Souls with no doubt and it is perfect!

I have to agree with you. In fact the 3 longest songs of this album are probably my favorites.
Steve Harris is a genius
03.09.2021 - 19:32
omne metallum
Contributor
Was expecting to dislike this record after the preceding two albums and two singles but I'm glad to be proved wrong. For me it's their third strongest release post reunion, yes the album has its flaws (just because you can make a song ten minutes doesn't mean you have to and the lack of a more punchy shorter song wouldn't go amiss) but I think on balance it does far more right than wrong.
----
Just because I'm not listening doesn't mean I don't care
03.09.2021 - 20:41
Korah
Quote:
Quote:

There are people still listening to Cradle ?!
----
Don't cry for my English

Hits total: 25730 | This month: 27