Release date: November 2021

01. Finisterre II
02. Monument
03. Am Rande Der Dunkelheit
04. Immortal
05. Morgen
06. Gegen Das Licht
07. Haven

This post-black metal band is more ‘post-‘ and less ‘black’ than ever.

Der Weg Einer Freiheit have come a long way from their self-titled debut released at the beginning of last decade. From the monochrome artwork to the elaborate band logo, Der Weg Einer Freiheit appeared very much to be a straight black metal release, and an onslaught of blast beats and tremolos backed up those first impressions. Still, even back then there were the faintest glimpses of a more atmospheric direction veering towards blackgaze or post-metal, glimpses that became increasingly visible on subsequent records. By 2017’s Finisterre, even though there were regular black metal onslaughts, the presence of euphoric post-rock shimmers and extended quiet builds was well-established. Nevertheless, even compared with Finisterre, Noktvrn feels like a bold leap forwards.

The brief introduction track (titled “Finisterre II”) is straight-up post-rock, with crescendocore-style soft tremolo laid on top of melancholic acoustic guitar, and when the track transitions into “Monument”, there’s another couple of minutes of ponderous, mellow atmosphere-building before the first rush of anger. Even when the distorted guitars and blast beats arrive, the tone is more in line with uplifting blackgaze bands than anything particularly harsh, particularly when post-rock leads are re-integrated into the mix. Still, Noktvrn isn’t a blackgaze record from front to back; “Am Rande Der Dunkelheit” takes things in a darker direction (fitting for a song that translates to “On The Edge Of Darkness”), with bleaker chords and more relentless instrumentation, although even then, the closing minutes of this song are effectively post-rock played above a blackened base.

I’ve mused upon the meaning of ‘post-black metal’ as a term before, but Noktvrn is one of the albums that feels closest to the concept of ‘post-metal played with blackened riffs and vocals in the loud moments’. At times, it’s even debatable whether it’s blackened; “Immortal” alternates between quiet instruments with rich clean vocals and an aggressive trudge that can barely be considered blackened. “Gegen Das Licht” finds a more even balance, with the lengthy post-metal build eventually giving way for jagged guitar tones and blasts. “Haven” goes even further by abandoning metal almost entirely; this is a straight-up shoegaze song.

So, the ties connecting Der Weg Einer Freiheit to black metal are becoming more and more tenuous; is this actually an issue? It probably depends on what you’re hoping for from their music. Anyone who preferred post-rock and blackgaze to be secondary elements within a primarily black metal sound may lose some interest over this development, but for those keen on these more melodic/atmospheric styles, Der Weg Einer Freiheit do compose songs in the style well, with well-judged development and transitions that are ably supported by a strong production job. Arguably, their attempts at post-metal don’t stand out against established bands within that genre; however, “Immortal” and the ending minutes of “Gegen Das Licht” make a stronger impression on me than the more blackened “Morgen”. Noktvrn is a very competent album that makes a poweful impact in its finest moments, although it’s not quite in the upper echelons of post-metal in 2021 for me.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 25.11.2021 by Hey chief let's talk why not

Comments

Comments: 18   Visited by: 122 users
25.11.2021 - 16:08
Rating: 9
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Would probably rate this a bit higher, but that might also be me liking the cover art so much.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
25.11.2021 - 16:48
Rating: 7
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Written by RaduP on 25.11.2021 at 16:08

Would probably rate this a bit higher, but that might also be me liking the cover art so much.

Is that sarcasm, or do you actually like the cover art?
25.11.2021 - 17:04
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 25.11.2021 at 16:48

I think it's fantastic.
----
25.11.2021 - 17:41
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Written by RaduP on 25.11.2021 at 17:04

Written by AndyMetalFreak on 25.11.2021 at 16:48

I think it's fantastic.

At first glance I thought it looked plain dull, but there is something mesmerising about it.
25.11.2021 - 18:37
Rating: 6
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^ Ok now you guys are just messing with me
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
25.11.2021 - 19:08
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Written by Karlabos on 25.11.2021 at 18:37

^ Ok now you guys are just messing with me

No it really is mesmerising, it's pure quality modern art, although I would much prefer a Pentagram in the middle
25.11.2021 - 19:18
Rating: 6
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
It's literally a picture of the ceiling unevenness
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
25.11.2021 - 20:00
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Written by Karlabos on 25.11.2021 at 19:18

To me the black and white could represent night and day, and then half blurred to represent half unconscious, and half awake, or I could be totally wrong, and it means nothing at all
25.11.2021 - 20:00
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
All I know is that it looks cool and instantly recognizable.
----
26.11.2021 - 11:50
koob
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 25.11.2021 at 20:00

Written by Karlabos on 25.11.2021 at 19:18

To me the black and white could represent night and day, and then half blurred to represent half unconscious, and half awake, or I could be totally wrong, and it means nothing at all

I thought the same
I wasn't convinced by the artwork at first but there's something oddly mesmerizing about it
26.11.2021 - 16:24
Charlotbk
The artwork remind me the artwork of Mariner by Cult Of luna & Julie Christmas, really a beautiful artwork
26.11.2021 - 20:02
Dream Taster
The Enemy Within
Staff
Love the artwork. To me it represents the different states and transitions of light from day into night.

The album is most definitely more post-rock than ever before but it fits with the nocturnal theme as it sounds like a dream-like version of their usual music.

Time will tell if this was a one-off sound experience or if this represents their new musical direction onwards.
27.11.2021 - 08:39
Rating: 4
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Intro was all you need to know about this album
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.11.2021 - 10:47
MeatWolf
Written by Dream Taster on 26.11.2021 at 20:02

Love the artwork. To me it represents the different states and transitions of light from day into night.

Finally someone said it. The artwork is stellar.
27.11.2021 - 13:43
DarkWingedSoul
One of the best albums of this year...for me ofc.
30.11.2021 - 13:32
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
You sure know how to write up an album to make me curious
I had but given up on Der Weg Einer Freiheit for their excessive use of snare blastbeats, but you got me curious. This one is a major step up from any of their previous efforts for me. I really enjoy it and likely would never have checked it out, had it not been for this review
----
02.12.2021 - 08:28
no one
What shade should I use on my Photoshop, oh hang its cover art.
----
Unable to connect to the database
13.04.2022 - 00:50
tintinb
Isn't that the top view of a pyramid? As per as the music I really liked this album. The juxtaposition of soft and heavier parts are done tremendously well in this album, I think.
----
Leeches everywhere.

Hits total: 2076 | This month: 14